U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 AM

18,620 posts, read 16,419,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
All I know is I will be tuning out of the sports talk shows for a couple of days until all of this blows over.
Lol I haven't watched ESPN since Monday morning. They spent 15 minutes on this story on sports center. Now the media is attacking his father because he had the temerity to say he is not comfortable with his son's homosexuality. His mother, a 7th day Adventist, has enough sense not to even talk to the media. I suspect she is probably destroyed over this revelation.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Terrell Thomas has what I think is the most accurate take of what Michael Sam will face. You will notice few active players are tweeting support. He won't be harassed by his teammate but he faces something worse, he'll be ignored. He may never be one of the guys and in a team sport such as football that is not good.

NFL might not be ready to accept Sam: Giantsí Thomas | New York Post
BS...heard an interview with former Vikings/Ravens center Matt Birk within the last couple of days who said he had 10 to 12 gay players on his teams over the years and said it was never an issue and they were accepted as team mates. This comes from someone who had been a vocal critic of gay-rights legislation and is probably as conservative as they come.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,615,101 times
Quote:
I suspect she is probably destroyed over this revelation.
Do you really think she had no idea???

Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
People don't turn off ESPN thinking the issue will go away, threads aren't closed because of not wanting to discuss the topic either.

People get tired of the media and non-stop hype of the issue, they know it isn't going away. IF people could make sensible statements about an issue, no personal attacks, no dragging religion/politics into it, threads would stay open, period.

We have to deal with it? Why, so what? He is going to be on a team and if he is on my team, great, let him play.
Thank you. His homosexuality is a minor issue to me. It's his path. My issue is with the constant media driven aspect of this and other gay themed stories. As I go through my day to day life no body brings up gay issues but since I'm a news junkie I'm bombarded with this agenda. I also think the media creates a false portrait of support. When you stick a camera in people's face everyone is going to say the polite thing.

Already the story about his college teammates supporting him is being questioned. The quarterback says he doesn't support homosexuality and his ex-roommate & teammate said half the guys tweeting support called him all kinds of names.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
BS...heard an interview with former Vikings/Ravens center Matt Birk within the last couple of days who said he had 10 to 12 gay players on his teams over the years and said it was never an issue and they were accepted as team mates. This comes from someone who had been a vocal critic of gay-rights legislation and is probably as conservative as they come.
Here's the thing. Those guys kept it quiet and went about their business. The media has made him into a celebrity, the league will be watching his other teammates won't know how to deal with him. Can they joke around with him? Or will he or someone run to the league and cry abuse? Nobody has time for all that, they'll just keep their distance and be polite.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
The media has made him into a celebrity
I think he wanted celebrity and went to the media to get it.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,419,733 times
The players will be fine .... the kid will just have to play though and carry himself like a professional ... that will win over a lockerroom

He's stated that he isn't going to accept endorsements year 1, that he isn't looking to do media, he just wants to show up, compete and learn

If he gets on the field, stands his ground, puts in his work and yet is humble to the vets he'll be fine like every other player

There is no reason a guy should "keep it quiet and go about their business" - it's impossible for them to just go about their business and be quiet as you have to completely sever a large portion of your personal life ...... this past SB there were tons of press with guys with their families out and about, soaking in the moment - a gay player has never been able to do that ............ Sam will be able to

I'm going to cobble together some tweets from Donte Stallworth as he nailed it on this topic

Quote:
If any NFL team can’t ‘handle the media coverage’ of drafting Sam, then your team is already a loser on the field… let me tell you why

There are a multitude of issues that can arise in the long duration of an NFL season … some on the field, some off the field. You won’t have any idea what that on the field/off the field situation is until it’s already upon you and the entire organization, which means that with drafting Michael Sam, you get a jump start on controlling the ‘media coverage’ right from the onset.

In my 10 years as an NFL player, I've played for 6 different teams & have been in every kind of locker room. Vet, young, mature, immature...

If an organization is inept to the magnitude of not being able to control things with prior knowledge, how will you handle the unexpected? Case Study 1: The Miami Dolphins and the bullying scandal … players talked more about THAT than they did football… for weeks! During that time I questioned (tweeted) why the Dolphins players were talking more about the scandal than their next opponent. Since the bullying story broke, the Dolphins finished the season 4-4 (with) playoff hopes still alive, got spanked by division (opponent) Jets, 20-7.

The leaders of an NFL organization AND the locker room better be able to handle adversity that is certain to emerge during a long NFL season

In my experience, if your organization can't "handle media coverage", they will suck on the field anyway... but hey, there's always 2015...

Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think he wanted celebrity and went to the media to get it.
Or he didn't want to have to hide in the shadows, not date, not pursue his interest, etc all because other people may have an issue with his sexuality and honestly, why should he?

Can you give a single reason why he should have to live in the shadows and be marginalized as a human?

Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 AM

Nope, I never said he should hide in the shadows or be marginalized as a human.
I just don't see the reason his bedroom preferences have to be all over the news, channel after channel, website after website, for days on end. Yours aren't. Mine aren't.

And he did not hide in shadows... people who knew him KNEW he was gay.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Nope, I never said he should hide in the shadows or be marginalized as a human.
Sure you did. You hold the opinion that he shouldn't be open in public about who he is.

Quote:
I just don't see the reason his bedroom preferences have to be all over the news, channel after channel, website after website, for days on end.
Neither do I, but they are going to be regardless. Do you really believe that that no news outlet would "out" him and dictate his story for him the first time he tried to hold hands in public with a date?

You can share something with your teamates and still be forced into the shadows. These are very public figures once they hit the pros. The only way it doesn't become news is if they sneak and hide for the duration of their playing career.

Why should they have to?

Quote:
Yours aren't. Mine aren't.
Sure they are. Well, not us individually because no one really cares about our story, we aren't public people and don't peform in front of millions of people each week. The cool thing is though I can't be fired from my job on the basis of being heterosexual in any state so I would never have to "hide", yet if you were gay you could be for that reason in many states.

However, I never see a shortage of the "heterosexual agenda". Everytime I flip on the TV I see opposite gender couples doing all sorts of stuff - some athletes have multiple children by multiple women and it's well reported, some beat their girlfriends/spouses/baby mothers and it's all over the news, sometimes a wife's reaction creates a good Meme, sometimes the wives are almost as visible in the community as the husbands (Brenda Warner, Ashton Wilson come to immediate mind as they are always by their husbands side.

Vince Wilfork made news when he defended his wife against the comments of a former teamate

There is a non-stop onslaught of heterosexual behavior of all types good and bad in the NFL - we just don't pay attention enough to notice it

Here is a picture that is typical on draft day .... nothing crazy right, just a guy with his wife and daughter celebrating getting drafted into the NFL ........ there will be a hundred scenes just like this that will play out over draft day - heterosexual images all over the place

However, now take that same photo and make the player Michael Sam or some other gay man and have him getting a kiss from his boyfriend in a joyous moment

That would be a single image - not at all different from the hundreds of others that are out there - yet do you honestly believe there wouldn't be a media sensation, outrage by some and support from others the moment that photo was published?!

We all know the answer to that - so the only way he could avoid the attention, scrutiny, etc that will naturally come to a gay player who lives openly is to hide who he is - to marginalize himself - to sacrifice his personal life for the comforts of others

It's BS and there is zero justification for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football