U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM
 
90 posts, read 75,495 times
Reputation: 77

Advertisements


 
Old 02-12-2014, 04:30 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,501,410 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The sports media is progressive because it is dominated by upper middle class progressives.
No. The sports media is progressive because the culture is progressive and they want to sell their product to the most people possible. It's all about money. It's always about money.

When I say the culture is progressive I'm not saying that the country is progressive. The country is liberal though. But the electorate goes back in forth between center-left and center-right.
 
Old 02-12-2014, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,887 posts, read 1,794,319 times
Reputation: 3737
This is just another progressive step for society as a whole, and if anyone thinks there are currently NO gay players in the NFL, they are kidding themselves. I award the man for stepping up and putting it out there. Good for him and the NFL..

Most good NFL locker rooms are about the TEAM first, not any individual. And i imagine this guy will get drafted by a GREAT
team who holds those morals and he will outperform people drafted before him. My hat off to you Mr. Sam..your a better man
than I..
 
Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,977,763 times
Reputation: 11780
Sam would probably not be picked by my team (the Eagles) because his size and skills really don't fit their defense. But I'm rooting for him on so many levels. Coming out is courageous, and he just seems like an amazing human being. Hopefully he will be drafted and go to a team where the culture is accepting of him for who he is, not who he bangs.

I'm wishing the best for him.
 
Old 02-12-2014, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,977,763 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
San Fran isn't the only football market with an active LGBT community.
Nope. Lots of LGBT people are in every city.
 
Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,977,763 times
Reputation: 11780
I wonder if guys like Kerry Rhodes may be encouraged to come out and come back to the league?

We could have used him last year, and could use him this year.
 
Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 11,652,004 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
It is very well possible that Rhodes was passed over due to the rumors. The Giants did invite him to tryout last summer, did a look see but passed on him. I believe there is a dis-connect between the players and the front office on the issue. I am confident that a large majority of players in the NFL would have no problem with an openly gay teammate. The front office may be a different story.
It was also because he was asking for a lot of money and he is getting up there in age. All of those things played a factor in him not getting a job.

How can you be confident about a large majority of players unless you know them personally? What they say publicly is not necessarily indicative of their true feelings and how they will conduct themselves behind closed doors.
 
Old 02-12-2014, 09:20 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 11,652,004 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
However, I never see a shortage of the "heterosexual agenda". Everytime I flip on the TV I see opposite gender couples doing all sorts of stuff - some athletes have multiple children by multiple women and it's well reported, some beat their girlfriends/spouses/baby mothers and it's all over the news, sometimes a wife's reaction creates a good Meme, sometimes the wives are almost as visible in the community as the husbands (Brenda Warner, Ashton Wilson come to immediate mind as they are always by their husbands side.
I see comments like this and I just think it's a horribly misguided argument that is an attempt to equate homosexuality with heterosexuality.

Regardless of how you feel about homosexuality, the reality is that, with few exceptions, you are a product of a heterosexual relationship. YES, YOU!!! YES, YOU READING THIS!!! That is how we exist. If we didn't have heterosexual relationships, then we wouldn't exist . To ignore heterosexual relationships, and state that showing them would be part of a "heterosexual agenda", is just beyond ridiculous.

So you see somebody like Peyton Manning for example, on the field, with his father, mother and brother in the suites watching him. By your logic, we shouldn't acknowledge that his father had a relationship with a woman, because of course we are promoting heterosexuality on people. Oh and let's not mention that Eli is his full-blooded brother because then we would have to acknowledge that their father and mother, really, really enjoyed their heterosexual relationship. Oh my goodness, showing the Manning family, reeks of a heterosexual agenda.

I tell you what, let's not promote heterosexuality. Let's just pretend that we just all appeared here, we have no parents, and we don't have any kids. We are all just random people that just happen to exist together.

Now that you realize how ridiculous this sounds, now we can see how you can't begin to compare showing heterosexual relationships and homosexual relationships. They are not the same, no matter how much the media tries to tell you they are.

It will be unusual for this guy or any other gay athlete. That isn't something that is going to change. It's not a societal norm so it's something that he and other gay athletes will have to consider because no matter how 'normalize' homosexuality becomes in our society, heterosexuality is always going to be considered the norm because of our existence.
 
Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 AM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
Reputation: 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I see comments like this and I just think it's a horribly misguided argument that is an attempt to equate homosexuality with heterosexuality.
No need to equate ... there are differences, but nothing that should leave a person to a road of discrimination, hatred or bigotry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Regardless of how you feel about homosexuality, the reality is that, with few exceptions, you are a product of a heterosexual relationship.
Of course. I love my parents greatly as well. It is still irrelevant to the treatment of those who aren't in heterosexual relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
To ignore heterosexual relationships, and state that showing them would be part of a "heterosexual agenda", is just beyond ridiculous.
You missed the entire point of that entire post. Even the obvious bits.

People in this thread and other places rail on the "homosexual agenda". Frequently bringing up media coverage, pictures, portrayal on TV, etc as the pushing of this agenda.

People also keep saying things like - "they are trying to shove it down our throat" - when the thing they are trying to do is the same stuff we all do .... go to dinner with your partner, share an embrace in public, etc

The heterosexual agenda was a tongue in cheek stab because I posted a picture of a guy getting kissed by his wife .... the type of stuff we see all the time and pay zero attention to .... yet if the guy was getting that same exact kiss from his husband a certain portion would freak out, start screaming about agendas, etc

You're right though - I do find the "agenda" talk ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
So you see somebody like Peyton Manning for example, on the field, with his father, mother and brother in the suites watching him. By your logic, we shouldn't acknowledge that his father had a relationship with a woman, because of course we are promoting heterosexuality on people. Oh and let's not mention that Eli is his full-blooded brother because then we would have to acknowledge that their father and mother, really, really enjoyed their heterosexual relationship. Oh my goodness, showing the Manning family, reeks of a heterosexual agenda.
Wow - that's a leap .... where did I ever say we shouldn't show someone with their family or loved ones?!

I'm advocating just the opposite - that all should have the right to be in public with their loved ones without public harassment or threat of it impacting their employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I tell you what, let's not promote heterosexuality. Let's just pretend that we just all appeared here, we have no parents, and we don't have any kids. We are all just random people that just happen to exist together.
Again - who said this?

I burn your strawman with fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
It will be unusual for this guy or any other gay athlete. That isn't something that is going to change. It's not a societal norm so it's something that he and other gay athletes will have to consider because no matter how 'normalize' homosexuality becomes in our society, heterosexuality is always going to be considered the norm because of our existence.
Of course it will be the norm. Many things are the norm and many things are the majority.

That doesn't give a license to discriminate, harass, abuse against someone who doesn't square to the norm though

We have rights to protect people from such things.

There is absolutely no reason a gay person should have to marginalize themselves and deny that they are gay in order to secure employment in their chosen field - none.
 
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Center City
6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Reputation: 9487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I never see a shortage of the "heterosexual agenda". Everytime I flip on the TV I see opposite gender couples doing all sorts of stuff - some athletes have multiple children by multiple women and it's well reported, some beat their girlfriends/spouses/baby mothers and it's all over the news, sometimes a wife's reaction creates a good Meme, sometimes the wives are almost as visible in the community as the husbands (Brenda Warner, Ashton Wilson come to immediate mind as they are always by their husbands side.
Good point. this guy sums it up quite well:


Dale Hansen Unplugged: Celebrating our differences - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top