U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 AM

16,531 posts, read 20,991,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
1. I don't MFing anyone.
2. I ALWAYS stay on topic. Just to make it plain - the topic is "Would you want him or any other gay player on your team and would you root for him? I have absolutely ZERO interest in a pro versus anti-gay argument.
3. I try very hard never to make personal attacks.
4. Whether we like it or not, it appears that this topic must NOW be dealt with.
That comment was made as a generalization and NOT directed at you.

The reason I made the comment about personal attacks is this past season was particularly nasty on several football threads.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:15 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,842,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
The whole draft is now about HIM and not the other players. I just really hope my team doesnt pick him. Let one of the other 31 teams get him. Heck he can go the Dolphins...happy now?
Sorry but the NFL is basically a 'Neanderthal" organization when it comes to issues like homosexuality. It's a "macho" sport with men in "tightskins" and patting each other on the butt after a good play.

he wanted to come clean about the issue before the media would be spreading rumours about him. To me it's a non issue but you have homophobes.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:36 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,660,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
No doubt an attempt to improve his draft stock... Why on earth do gays feel the need to announce their sexual preference to the world? Are heterosexuals supposed to care?

Dude... just play football. I could give a flip if you prefer hot beautiful women or sweaty fat guys... Seriously.
There's more at stake than that. He's trying to progress a lifestyle that is otherwise traditionally shunned in this country. For the civil rights movement in the 60s, you didn't really have to announce to the country that you were black. It was rather obvious, unless you were blind.

I've said it before, the fight for LGBT rights is the civil rights movement of this most recent generation. No one is going to know you're gay or that you support rights unless you announce it. That's why guys like Macklemore are so vocal about it. It sheds light on the issue and let's people know that they're not alone in supporting equal rights for the LGBT community.

To answer the OP, I would have no problem if Sam played for my team (the Lions). They need all the help they can get.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 AM

8,778 posts, read 16,771,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Blame the media, not the athlete.
Why?

Who is to say that Sam isn't the one trying to use the media to his advantage? Maybe he wants San Fran to draft him, and figures this announcement will help his chances.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I think based on the way he explained his reasoning for announcing this, I believe it is reasonable for him to announce this. The reason why I say this is because he stated that many people around him already knew and speculation was starting to get out there. It appears that he did not want this to become a distraction going into the draft. Having to answer to rumors would probably make things more stressful then it has to be for him as well as the team. At least now, the teams can make a decision knowing what they may be in for.

With that said, there has already been reports that several owners anonymously stated that this will hurt his draft stock. Certainly it would seem like this shouldn't be a big deal, but it is and the dynamics of this situation should not be minimized. You have to consider what your locker room environment will be like, how much of a distraction this ultimately may become to your team and if he is even good enough to make it all worth it. I think that is the problem with this situation. People will analyze it to death. They will assume, that if he doesn't get picked that teams must have issues against gays and there likely won't be much discussion about the merit of his athletic talents. It creates a catch 22 for the NFL and the owners that have to deal with this.

I will put it like this. If I am an owner, I have to consider more than just this young man's talent. Do I think my team can handle the distraction that will come along with this? Is it really worth going through for a guy that may not even be an NFL starter?
(mod edit-two sentences deleted)

At any rate this is what the media has been clamoring for. They hate the NFL it attracts too much masculinity and red blooded American cheer leading. So it has to be taken down a notch. That's why the media has been on a tear with the concussions, Redskins, Jonathan Martin and now this story.

What happens though when his teammates refuse to socialize with him, shake his hand or even shower with him? Will the NFL force them? Will he be assigned a tolerance monitor?

It'll be very interesting to see what happens from here though.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-11-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,660,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I cant find the draft picks listing anywhere on NFL.com Does anyone what pick San Francisco has this draft??
San Fran isn't the only football market with an active LGBT community.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
No doubt an attempt to improve his draft stock... Why on earth do gays feel the need to announce their sexual preference to the world? Are heterosexuals supposed to care?

Dude... just play football. I could give a flip if you prefer hot beautiful women or sweaty fat guys... Seriously.
He announced it to his college team and rumors were spreading at the combine. He was asked point blank by scouts if he liked women. It was actually well known to league insiders that he was gay no one is surprised. There were also pics floating around with him hugged up to a guy, presumably a boyfriend (he wasn't fat lol). I guess he figured it was better to come out than hide it and risk being blackmailed or something.

I feel bad for him though, he's heading down a dead end path. I hope he can find the strength to change his ways.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,838,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
San Fran isn't the only football market with an active LGBT community.
Who said it was?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I understand completely. It's totally normal and common to be confused about what gender you're sexually attracted to. When's the last time you thought about a hot, sweaty, naked man and got your rocks off?
There are numerous example of people who lived a gay lifestyle and are now in normal relationships. He just doesn't seem gay to me. Something else is going on mentally with him. He needs to bond with a female emotionally than maybe he can go straight.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:47 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,838,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Sorry but the NFL is basically a 'Neanderthal" organization when it comes to issues like homosexuality. It's a "macho" sport with men in "tightskins" and patting each other on the butt after a good play.

he wanted to come clean about the issue before the media would be spreading rumours about him. To me it's a non issue but you have homophobes.
So the Dolphins it is then?? With the number 69th pick the Miami Dolphins select.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football