Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 12:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
An undisclosed team owner told a journalist from the Bleacher Report (Mike Freeman) his guess would be as many as 200 gay players currently in the NFL. I personally do not think it is that high.
I think you're forgetting about punters/kickers. Although, i guess it's possible that the team owner could be confused on what tight ends and wide receivers do.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Yes, I watch football, though I prefer hockey. I'm from the North Midwest. Hockey is our thing.

Personally, I think this is a non-issue. The only reason it should receive any attention is to shine light on a traditionally shunned lifestyle and help further its socially acceptable status. He SHOULD NOT be drafted BECAUSE he's gay. He should be drafted because he's a good football player.

Nothing becomes "normal", as you guys put it, unless it is brought to the forefront of our collective attention. The more we are exposed to it, the more it becomes socially acceptable. The LGBT lifestyle is not harmful to anybody, and yet it is still looked down upon by too many people. I strongly believe that all people have the right to pursue happiness. That will happen for the LGBT crowd once they are given the same rights that straight people are given.

So, quite honestly, if anyone should go back into the safety of their dark closets, it should not be Michael Sam. It should be the bigots who are scared of and opposed to social progress for those that are different than them.
Your right. It is only the media that will make it an issue. There will be some in the locker-room that may be uncomfortable with it, but they will get over it. Beings your a Hockey fan then I guess your familiar with the "You Can Play Project" and are aware that most Hockey players with exception to the Russians are very Liberal and tolerant when it comes to social issues.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
How is it insulting to point out that a person may be from a particular region in the US that is insulated from modern day progress? It's no secret that the Deep South is still a few decades behind on many things, including human rights issues and economic development. This is not crazy, it's just common sense. That's why a good job down yonder will geet yeh $10/hr and yeh can still hate on dem black folk, too. Hehe.

I don't care what team gets him. His on-field production means more than his personal sexual preferences IMO.
Heh... I spent 30 years in the Deep South (Savannah, GA) prior to moving to the front runner for gay capital of the USA (along with SF)...

Honestly though I don't care. Just play football.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
If probably is unsettling if you're so backwards you think that every guy wants a piece of your meat and you think they cant control themselves. Maybe they have a slight inkling in the bank of their mind they want wanna try be gay or something =)
This is put in a rather scornful way. But look what happened to Jonathan Martin when he squawked about locker room rough-housing. People are saying he'll never return to Miami and might be finished with football entirely. So am I to believe a gay player can count on more flexibility than a player who simply objects to the atmosphere which supposedly is universal in locker rooms?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Sorry but the NFL is basically a 'Neanderthal" organization when it comes to issues like homosexuality. It's a "macho" sport with men in "tightskins" and patting each other on the butt after a good play.

he wanted to come clean about the issue before the media would be spreading rumours about him. To me it's a non issue but you have homophobes.
I didn't realize the NFL had to do anything about homosexuality. What exactly does it have to do with playing football? To describe something as "Neanderthal" is just ridiculous.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Well it's here. A few months ago, I had a thread titled, "Would it Matter". (Mod edit-sentence deleted)

Michael Sam will be in this year's NFL draft. He is projected to go in the middle rounds.
Yesterday he told the nation that he is gay.

If he were on your team, would you root for him?
I would welcome him with open arms...well maybe not open arms but certainly a firm handshake while grunting something about power tools or loud cars.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The tolerant crowd isn't very tolerant of opposing views.
Funny how that works isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
This is put in a rather scornful way. But look what happened to Jonathan Martin when he squawked about locker room rough-housing. People are saying he'll never return to Miami and might be finished with football entirely. So am I to believe a gay player can count on more flexibility than a player who simply objects to the atmosphere which supposedly is universal in locker rooms?
Man, there has been gay players in the locker-room for years. Most teammates either new it or suspected it and was never a problem. The only difference here is Sam made it public to the world.

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Just play football is right. I think he gets drafted and hopefully if he does a team with a strong, no nonsense structure. A nightmare to go to a team that thrives on being in the media every day (Jets, Cowboys come to mind).

Whoever said the liberal gay media, some people just have to go down that road, the media period will be all over it if he doesn't end up with a team, putting a political tag on it, please.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 PM

I would really suggest that anyone that thinks this will be a locker room issue, to watch for the NFL channel to re-play the special they aired about the life of gay Redskin Jerry Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football