U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM

513 posts, read 575,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Kinda like the answer from a spectator at a knife fight. Well said. I still say that Belichick profited from two things, the machine he inherited and a weak division. He should really have home field advantage every year. And special interpretations of rules are a nice gift for him too. And illegal intelligence methods.
All that, and he's not played in a Super Bowl in over a decade. Meanwhile Big Ben and little Eli have picked up two rings. Yeh, Bill stands athwart the world like a colossus!
You're really digging yourself in a deeper hole here. The machine he inherited? As in the 8-8 team? "Should" win home field every year? What rule and intelligence methods? You still harping on spygate and the tuck rule?

Hasn't been the the superbowl in a decade? Have you watched the NFL recently? No coach will ever have as many regular season and playoff wins in a 14 year span (with one team) that BB has as long as the salary cap remains in place. Seriously, it will never happen, there is not a doubt in my mind about that claim. Brady is the only possible factor that may detract from what he has accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,350,077 times
Yeh,yeh. BS. Adam Vinateri, who Belichick inherited, outscored Brady in 2001. Including winning the "tuck rule" game. What did Bellichick do that caused Vinateri to be such a clutch player. Did he "coach him up"? Check Vinateri's career stats. The best aren't even with Belichick.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 PM

You act as if it is out of the ordinary for kickers to be leading scorers. I will not bash AV, no chance. I believe he should be the only kicker in the HOF. If your argument to tear down BB is by saying AV made the team then you are truly grasping at straws.

Name another coach in the NFL that has been more consistent than BB. Honestly answer that, you can't.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Bill "Jim Jones" Belichick has fans that would jump off a building for him. No use attempting to talk sense to them. To me he's no Lombardi, Landry, Parcels. But there's an element who'll insist he is. Oh, and no Bill Walsh either.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:41 PM

Great argument... Are you going to try and dispute that no coach will ever have his sustained success in the salary cap era?

I will not say he is the best coach ever, but he is up there. If you are going to say he does not compare to all these other coaches, please explain why.

Also, I would love to see you reason why any current coach in the NFL should be ranked above him. Again, you can't. I'm sure you will avoid this question again though

Old 02-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Really, at this point I'm too weary of jousting with the True Believers. I'll just let them go on making their bold claims.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 PM

Amazing, can not even offer a single legitimate argument. Good job dude

Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,898,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I still think Brady is much more a reason for the Pats success than Belichek. Give Belichek Romo and he's still coaching an 8-8 team.
The 2008 season proves otherwise. Brady went down in week 1 and Matt Cassel took over. They ended up going 11-5 that season and missed the playoffs more by a fluke, as Miami won the division and they missed a wildcard berth due to the math and some head to head tie breakers.

Cassel never had that success again with KC or anyone else, and is now a nobody.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,009,154 times
I'm going to re-open this as I probably shouldn't have shut it down. But I really would like to see some commentary on the other NFL coaches in the Yahoo article. Isn't that what the thread title is about?

There's been other Belichick threads here over the years, a couple were shut down. I'll keep this one up for a while, later I'll weigh in on it as well. But if very little or no commentary comes out of the other coaches, then I'm going to rename the thread "Bill Belichick." And if the thread gets out of hand, it goes down.

Thread re-opened.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-18-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 AM

6,847 posts, read 7,910,363 times
Here were my initial reactions when glancing over the list. I feel some of these rankings are premature.

Chip Kelly (6) and Bruce Arians (8) are higher than they should be (at least at this point in HC careers). Both did phenomenal jobs with their respective teams, but I think the top 10 should be all coaches with at least two years under their belts.

Rex Ryan should be lower than 11. Period. Granted, they played better than expected last year, but still. They will never be a SB contender with him at the helm.

Marc Trestman should be lower than 13. He made many stupid calls this year, and one in particular stood out as possibly the lamest of the decade.

Mike McCoy should be higher than 15. Not much higher, but higher than Kelly and Arians, and definitely higher than Ryan and Trestman. They would have put up a much better fight against Seattle than Denver did if they had made it to the SB, that's for sure.

Mike Tomlin (16) got the ultimate shaft here. Based on tenure, winning percentage, and playoff success, he should be in the top 10, and ahead of Coughlin.

Jason Garrett (24) should be higher, like in the high teens. He's not bad, but will never get them to the SB with Jones' meddling.

Ron Rivera (17) is questionable. If the Panthers dominate the regular season in 2014 like they did last season, that ranking will surely rise. Having him at 17 leads me to believe people see him as a one hit wonder, especially considering some of those who are ranked above him.

Other than that, I don't see any glaring deficiencies. I think the 1-5 slots are spot on. One more season will be a good determinant of this lists quality in regards to the first year HC's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football