Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,612,659 times

Advertisements

I think I said in a previous thread that I was against the playoff expansion. But that was when I thought it was going to be 2 teams from each conference added. I actually like the idea of adding just one extra team from each conference. It still allows for the top seed to be rewarded with a bye. And still less than half the league will make the playoffs. The extra injury risk is really pretty minimal as it means only one extra game for each conference. And considering that extra game is a playoff game, I think most players would be happy to play in the extra game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,979,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
After all the complaining about the Cardinals not making it, 10-6 teams other years not in, I would think some people will be jumping up and down for joy! Me, I don't really care one way or the other.
Forget about Arizona. What about those poor Browns back in '07. The Dawg Pound was so close to the first meaningful season since '94.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:29 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,472,970 times
The owners will have to stop it. The league will ignore the players.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
One more Goodell grab for money and screw the players who get hurt.
How many players have had their careers ended because of the expansion to 12 playoff teams after the 1990 regular season? That is 24 years of data, surely you can find lots to back up your claim.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
The owners will have to stop it. The league will ignore the players.
I don't see the players being against this at all.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Forget about Arizona. What about those poor Browns back in '07. The Dawg Pound was so close to the first meaningful season since '94.
How about Josh Freeman too? He had the Bucs in the playoffs in 2010 under this new system. Who knows how that team would have played out with Raheem Morris and Freeman into the future.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:55 PM

570 posts, read 720,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Jerruh's in favor of it because it increases the odds that a mediocre team like the Cowgirls sneak their way into the playoffs.
Even if the girls do sneak in, they'd get bumped in the first round anyway.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I don't see the players being against this at all.
You bothered to watch any sports programs where players were asked? I've heard players against it.

Try reading this article and the comments from players:
NFL Nation Says: Expanded playoffs? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
You bothered to watch any sports programs where players were asked? I've heard players against it.
The only sports programming I watch these days are actual games, so no I have not.

Honestly, I am surprised that these players would be against it. I mean, sure, it is fine the way it is. But also, going to seven would be good too. I see pluses and minuses to both sides. Now 8, would be too many. We would see far too many 8-8 teams getting in and probably even a handful of 7-9 teams. And I really do believe the "injury risk" argument is lame. We are talking two extra games, and not meaningless regular season games.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The only sports programming I watch these days are actual games, so no I have not.

Honestly, I am surprised that these players would be against it. I mean, sure, it is fine the way it is. But also, going to seven would be good too. I see pluses and minuses to both sides. Now 8, would be too many. We would see far too many 8-8 teams getting in and probably even a handful of 7-9 teams. And I really do believe the "injury risk" argument is lame. We are talking two extra games, and not meaningless regular season games.
If you only watch games, how could you expect to know what players want? I watch games and the sideline interviews seldom touch on these subjects. All games have "meaning". If you have to swap a playoff game for something like a bye week or a preseason game, how do you know the "meaning" of the quid pro quo. For me, just the statements by prominent players that they want to stick with the existing format is pretty persuasive. Has ANY owner or GM come out forthrightly and rebutted these players? How about the owner and GM in Arizona? If you only watch games, do you know what this prominent team that got excluded said about Goodell's brainchild?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football