U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,195,166 times

Advertisements

The 2014 NFL season begins on Tuesday, when free agency begins.
Is your NFC East team ready? How far under the cap are they?
What are your team's needs?

At this moment, the Eagles are about $20 million under the cap.
At least, according to the fans and the media, they SHOULD be looking for safeties. Jaurus Byrd appears to be a really nice fit. We'll see.
There is SOME speculation that DeSean Jackson might be traded. I don't know how accurate that report is. Time will tell if this happens.

We will have to wait until May for the draft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:31 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,342,162 times
Ironic. Jackson has a great year and is on the block? Shows how hard it is to penetrate the strategic thinking of teams sometimes. I predict Jerry Jones will manage his team to mediocrity again. The draft and free agency might give some clue to the future of the Giants. With Dan Snyder pulling strings, I can't even begin to conceive what direction the Redskins will go. They had a major defensive collapse last year. Haven't heard the latest news on Kirk Cousins other than his promise to pray a gay player straight (big smile). So the East is kinda under a fog bank. Maybe the sun will rise and burn some of it off before the training camps begin.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,570,580 times
man, nfc east is a mess these days.

defenses might catch up to that fast paced Eagles offense
RG3 needs to get back to his rookie self
Romo needs to stop throwing costly interceptions
Eli needs to stop throwing so many INTs

Eagles have mccoy, jackson, and what's his name receiver that was hurt last year. if their defense plays decent, they could win the east again.

redskins have alfred morris, garcon, and Jordan Reed. if RG3 is able to come back healthy, and the redskins defense is better than 30th in the NFL like they were last year, they may have a chance

If Lee and Murray stay healthy for dallas, and Romo doesn't make that one awful interception every other game, they have a shot too

If the Giants go with Brown and protect eli enough so he can actually throw the ball without being blasted, they'll have a shot as well.

NFC East is so much better than their records indicate.....hopefully they'll show it in 2014.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 PM

Seems like Romo and RGIII have similar problems. A QB, no matter what his skills, can't make up for a leaky defense. Jerra Jones had that on the mend, then he decided to swap his defensive coordinator. Next thing you know, the D at D went south again. Jones can't help slugging himself in the face. But, seriously,who DOES have an elite defense in the East? I should look that up to get some scale of the mediocrity of defense in the NFC East. I just think there isn't a team with a defense to fear.

Dallas is 32 out of 32. The Eagles are 29 out of 32. The Redskins are 18. And New York is 8. 8 is good except the Giants' OFFENSE is 28 out of 32. Pretty much a division of teams who'll get one into the playoffs with last year's stats. And then the chance of playing more than one playoff game is minimal. Guess New Orleans didn't climb a high mountain in eliminating Philadelphia.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Seems like Romo and RGIII have similar problems. A QB, no matter what his skills, can't make up for a leaky defense. Jerra Jones had that on the mend, then he decided to swap his defensive coordinator. Next thing you know, the D at D went south again. Jones can't help slugging himself in the face. But, seriously,who DOES have an elite defense in the East? I should look that up to get some scale of the mediocrity of defense in the NFC East. I just think there isn't a team with a defense to fear.

Dallas is 32 out of 32. The Eagles are 29 out of 32. The Redskins are 18. And New York is 8. 8 is good except the Giants' OFFENSE is 28 out of 32. Pretty much a division of teams who'll get one into the playoffs with last year's stats. And then the chance of playing more than one playoff game is minimal. Guess New Orleans didn't climb a high mountain in eliminating Philadelphia.
That was last year. In 2 days, we begin THIS year.
We will see what changes are made. I'm pretty certain that the Eagles defense will look completely different than it did last year. Let's see how active the Giants, Redskins, and the cash strapped Cowboys are.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
That was last year. In 2 days, we begin THIS year.
We will see what changes are made. I'm pretty certain that the Eagles defense will look completely different than it did last year. Let's see how active the Giants, Redskins, and the cash strapped Cowboys are.
I agree. It is the next few months when solutions, if any, will be found. Especially I'm waiting to see what the next lurch is from Mr. Jones. Makes me think of a line from a Bob Dylan song.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,845,667 times
Is there any way the 'Skins could fire, trade or cut their idiot owner?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:00 PM

Hoho, there's an item for the wish list of a few clubs!! I read a history of Jones' purchase, and I guess he really went in over his head to invest most of his free capital in being an owner. He apparently was so desperate to be an "NFL owner" that he didn't wait till he ascended to the level of ridiculous wealth more common in the league. Which is why, I think, he plays with the club as a toy. To me, the whole dynamic of NFL owners is kind of fascinating and mysterious. A franchise evidently can be a good business deal, but it has to be treated as pure business to get to be elite. Hire the best management and then have faith enough to support them.

Addition: Forbes says Jones' net work is $2.7 billion. The value of the Cowboys is $2 billion (amazing, isn't it?) Which means Jones is a multimillionaire other than the franchise. That from a $140 million purchase in 1989. It has multiplied his investment over 14 times. He may be financially sharp, but direct management of the team may require something else. At least judging by how successful his team has been since Troy Aikman left.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:17 AM

The excitement begins at 4 this afternoon.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM

Wondering when solid news would start. Is that 4pm EDT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or