U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 AM

5,147 posts, read 6,372,552 times

Advertisements

So there ya go. Bradshaw only behind Montana. 4 rings, 2nd highest rating. I'm not flatly calling Bradshaw the "best". But lists where he doesn't even crack the top 10 are hilarious to me. I think they appeal to wishful thinkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 01:00 PM

5,744 posts, read 4,276,003 times
Its hard to take that voting seriously when Russell Wilson beats out Peyton Manning in the 1st round.

Regardless of what happened in the last Super Bowl, anyone who thinks Russell Wilson is a better QB than Peyton Manning doesn't really know much about football. IMO!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:25 PM

Yeh, that's kinda silly. Even Russell Wilson wouldn't vote Russell Wilson. He's got some humility. Cam Newton and Russell Wilson are as different as night and day.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 PM

11,745 posts, read 11,614,499 times
It is a popularity contest, and who is on the internet the most. It has nothing to do with common sense, overall records, the big picture, Russell Wilson beats out Manning because of all the twenty something fans out there.

I'm an Aaron Rodgers fan, but still realize he hasn't been in the league long enough to be all time best. He has the best passer rating, lack of INTs that other QBs don't have but Peyton Manning is up there right now, as is Tom Brady, too. Aaron will get his due if he continues on the same track.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 PM

Online votes are pretty much always ignorance polls. Finding out what opinions the most ignorant people have. If you put all the legitimate candidates out there, they wouldn't even know most of them! Nor expend the effort to fill in their gaps. If you could get a vote like the Hall of Fame vote among people who live football day and night, you might get closer to an answer.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 AM

513 posts, read 577,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
It is a popularity contest, and who is on the internet the most. It has nothing to do with common sense, overall records, the big picture, Russell Wilson beats out Manning because of all the twenty something fans out there.

I'm an Aaron Rodgers fan, but still realize he hasn't been in the league long enough to be all time best. He has the best passer rating, lack of INTs that other QBs don't have but Peyton Manning is up there right now, as is Tom Brady, too. Aaron will get his due if he continues on the same track.
I think the 20 somethings ( I am one) have been around plenty long enough to see Manning play. I agree Wilson beating him out is not right, but your 20 something fan comment makes no sense.

The reality is it is short term memory, everyone just saw Wilson win a sb so they rank him as the best.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 AM

How many years of Peyton's career would a 20-something even know directly? I think what they know is the overexposure Peyton got in 2013. And I watched so many programs where hyperbole seemed the only mode for talking about Peyton. Maybe it is entertainment, but it sucks as fact.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:02 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,894,149 times
I'm not one of those guys that puts so much weight on rings. There have been great QB's that don't have a ring and other average QB's that have one or more. To me, that right there should show the importance of rings. I also use the what if scenario and the eye test. What if Bradshaw or Aikeman would have played on some of the other below average teams? We wouldn't even be discussing them. Those guys, while above average QB's, did not carry their teams. They were a part of total good teams, that put them in a better situation to win and put up numbers. Having a great defense, great running game, and very good receivers, allows you a greater chance of success. I think most QB's who make it to the NFL level have the skills. TheY have to. But the surrounding talent, overall offensive philosophy, and team chemistry plays a huge roll.

A lot of QB's would have been great on those Cowboy and Steeler teams. I think about Elway, who carried those Bronco teams in his early years. Just his sheer talent got them to the SB. But they didn't win it til they got a running game. Montana was helped greatly by the offensive genius of Walsh and the overall talent of the team. He fit that style and had a lot of help. Again, a lot of QB's would have prospered on those 49er teams. But Montanna did have the cool composure and intellect. He wold have been good on any team. But he wouldn't have had as man rings, if any. Same with Aikeman and Bradshaw. They would have been good on any team. But would they have won any rings? That's why I'm not one of those...."yeah but he has 4 rings so he has to be the best", kind of guys. Guys win rings because they have the best all around team.

Trent Dilfer, Russel Wilson, Bib Griese, Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, and Bad Johnson have all won SB's. But they weren't or aren't (in Wilson's case) the best QB's of their time or even the best of that year.Some of them probably weren't even in the top five of that year. It means they had a good year and were surrounded by a lot of good talent. And notice that ALL of them had GREAT defenses.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:59 PM

TONS of questionable assumptions. Too much effort to shoot them all down. But, hey, you have to have your own methodology. But it won't make you a goto expert for the football universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I'm not one of those guys that puts so much weight on rings. There have been great QB's that don't have a ring and other average QB's that have one or more. To me, that right there should show the importance of rings. I also use the what if scenario and the eye test. What if Bradshaw or Aikeman would have played on some of the other below average teams? We wouldn't even be discussing them. Those guys, while above average QB's, did not carry their teams. They were a part of total good teams, that put them in a better situation to win and put up numbers. Having a great defense, great running game, and very good receivers, allows you a greater chance of success. I think most QB's who make it to the NFL level have the skills. TheY have to. But the surrounding talent, overall offensive philosophy, and team chemistry plays a huge roll.

A lot of QB's would have been great on those Cowboy and Steeler teams. I think about Elway, who carried those Bronco teams in his early years. Just his sheer talent got them to the SB. But they didn't win it til they got a running game. Montana was helped greatly by the offensive genius of Walsh and the overall talent of the team. He fit that style and had a lot of help. Again, a lot of QB's would have prospered on those 49er teams. But Montanna did have the cool composure and intellect. He wold have been good on any team. But he wouldn't have had as man rings, if any. Same with Aikeman and Bradshaw. They would have been good on any team. But would they have won any rings? That's why I'm not one of those...."yeah but he has 4 rings so he has to be the best", kind of guys. Guys win rings because they have the best all around team.

Trent Dilfer, Russel Wilson, Bib Griese, Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, and Bad Johnson have all won SB's. But they weren't or aren't (in Wilson's case) the best QB's of their time or even the best of that year.Some of them probably weren't even in the top five of that year. It means they had a good year and were surrounded by a lot of good talent. And notice that ALL of them had GREAT defenses.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 AM

513 posts, read 577,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
How many years of Peyton's career would a 20-something even know directly? I think what they know is the overexposure Peyton got in 2013. And I watched so many programs where hyperbole seemed the only mode for talking about Peyton. Maybe it is entertainment, but it sucks as fact.
Are you serious? You think someone in their 20's just heard of Peyton in 2013? He has won multiple mvps and a superbowl before 2013. The debate of Brady vs Manning has basically been the talk of the NFL for 10 years now. I don't know about everyone else but I've been watching the NFL since I was 10 or 11. So even assuming some is exactly 20 they have probably seen many years of Peytons career
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or