Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:16 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times

Advertisements

I can only vote on and compare QBs I've actually watched for any length of time, which start from the 1980s. And even then, the game has certainly changed.

I'd take Brady over Manning, Montana just barely over Elway, and probably Favre barely over Young. Brady's probably the best I've ever seen. For the longest time, I had always thought that Montana was the best, but what Brady's done year-in and year-out has been unequaled, in my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times
As far as the brackets go, I would pick Brady, Young, Montana, and Bradshaw. The order for those would be:

1.) Montana
2.) Brady
3.) Bradshaw
4.) Young

Now, that's not saying that there aren't certain QB's in other brackets that I think are better than Brady, Bradshaw, or Young. This is just based off of having to pick one from each bracket and then one from the final four. Montana would be my top choice regardless.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:18 PM

513 posts, read 695,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I can only vote on and compare QBs I've actually watched for any length of time, which start from the 1980s. And even then, the game has certainly changed.

I'd take Brady over Manning, Montana just barely over Elway, and probably Favre barely over Young. Brady's probably the best I've ever seen. For the longest time, I had always thought that Montana was the best, but what Brady's done year-in and year-out has been unequaled, in my view.
Out of curiosity, why Favre over Young? Favre was tough as nails and had a rocket of an arm, but was too much of a gunslinger imo, thus the very high rate of ints. Young was very accurate and still holds the third or fourth highest rating of all time (might still be the highest if not for all the rule changes). He was also an unbelievably mobile qb. He is imo the most underrated qb ever

Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
He and Dan Marino, very underrated.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Honestly, I don't think Brady would have done well in past generations. He is a statue and absolutely hates contact. He is fortunate that a guy with his style and attitude plays in this era. Of course he can only play in the time he is given. In that sense, he is one of the best today....behind Rogers. I think Rogers could have played in any era. He can move, he takes hits, and he can throw.

A lot of QB's today put up big numbers because of the rules....no contact after 5 yards, can't hit the QB, can't hit a defenseless receiver, etc. Everything geared toward helping receivers get open quickly and a protective bubble around the QB.

So I don't put much stock in QB comparisons of different eras. Compared to their own era, yes. To that end, Brady is one of the best of his day. But probably only average in past eras. I also do not put a lot of stock in rings. For example, if Elway would have played on those Steelers teams of the 70's, they probably would have won more than 4. Same with QB's that played in the 90's. Put a lot of them on those Cowboy teams and they would have 3 rings as well. Put Aikeman on some of those other teams and he wouldn't have any rings. Bradshaw and Aikeman were both really good QB's, but they got their rings by being surrounded by overall great teams. Put Barry Sanders on those Dallas teams and he would be the rushing leader and not Emmit. Put Emmit on those Lion teams and nobody would even know who Emmit Smith is.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:05 AM

579 posts, read 762,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Out of curiosity, why Favre over Young? Favre was tough as nails and had a rocket of an arm, but was too much of a gunslinger imo, thus the very high rate of ints. Young was very accurate and still holds the third or fourth highest rating of all time (might still be the highest if not for all the rule changes). He was also an unbelievably mobile qb. He is imo the most underrated qb ever
Young is my favorite/grew up on him

He's the greatest left armed QB and most likely is the most underrated. If I were to pick a QB to copy for 2014 NFL, it would be Steve Young. The combination of accuracy and scrambling ability would make him unstoppable

But tough luck and finishing on the short stick against 90's Cowboys & Packers costs him. Going into the playoffs with Derek Loville & Terry Kirby as the starting RBs. Packers defense was a higher class than 49ers aging defense in the late 90's.

My List

1: Montana
2-3: Unitas & Brady
4-7: Marino, Elway, Manning & Graham
8-10: Favre, Young, Staubach

Outside: Rodgers, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, Starr

Old 03-23-2014, 01:07 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Bradshaw has four rings and doesn't even make the TOP TEN? Ridiculous!

Old 03-23-2014, 01:48 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Bradshaw has four rings and doesn't even make the TOP TEN? Ridiculous!
presumably you'd rate Bradshaw a better QB than Marino then?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:13 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Unitas all the way.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:24 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Nick Foles (fingers crossed...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football