U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Jags QBs today: Chad Henne, Ricky Stanzi, Matt Scott
Browns QBs today: Brian Hoyer, Alex Tanney
Texans QBs today: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, TJ Yates

Any of those rookies that can not beat out these guys listed above at some point this year is in trouble. The only "reasonably viable" option I see is Fitzpatrick and maybe, maybe Henne.
Hoyer is also "viable" considering he was on fire right up to the moment he got hurt. And TJ Yates did extremely well a couple of years ago when Schaub got hurt. I think he did better than Keenum when you get down to it.

Henne's got starting experience. Hype aside, I don't think any of those three draft prospect QBs is ready to start in the NFL on day 1. At BEST you start them halfway through the season, after they develop a comfort level with the pro league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,350,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
What role does the backup quarterback serve?

To step in and lead a team to a championship? Those days are gone - the relative importance of the quarterback has gotten too high in the NFL, and no team can afford to keep two SB-caliber quarterbacks on their roster.

To mentor a young, developing starting quarterback? Absolutely.

To be a backup/quarterback-of-the-future who is a placeholder behind a veteran to starts temporarily while imparting his wisdom to the young student of the game? Again, absolutely.

A solid backup should be able to manage games and allow his supporting cast to beat the bad/mediocre teams, and not screw up against the good teams and allow his team to at least have a chance in some of those games.

But as far as making a championship run, in today's quarterback-centric NFL if a starting quarterback is lost for a season it is a fluke if the backup turns out to be of championship-caliber - if he does and anyone knew it, he wouldn't be a backup and would either be starting for that team or would have left via free agency or trade to another team that would start him.
I don't have the history foremost in my mind, but I can think of QBs who stepped in and won a championship, so even if that isn't the "role", it is a measure of the talent of the backup.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,128,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Hoyer is also "viable" considering he was on fire right up to the moment he got hurt. And TJ Yates did extremely well a couple of years ago when Schaub got hurt. I think he did better than Keenum when you get down to it.

Henne's got starting experience. Hype aside, I don't think any of those three draft prospect QBs is ready to start in the NFL on day 1. At BEST you start them halfway through the season, after they develop a comfort level with the pro league.
Hoyer lit up a terrible Vikings team and was serviceable against the Bengals. He's been cut by three other teams including the Patriots and Steelers. Color me unimpressed, though he should get his shot this year.

For his career, TJ Yates has 3 TDs and 6 INTs. In 2011 when he started 5 games, he had 3 TDs and three picks and lost 3 fumbles. In 2013, he couldn't beat Case Keenum on the depth chart. Sorry; not a franchise QB to me.

Chad Henne has never finished a season with more TDs than INTs. You can not seriously think at this point Henne is a franchise QB.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 AM

5,147 posts, read 6,350,077 times
What is the profile of the excellent backup QB. First, that he should START anywhere is probably not part of i t. Because then why wouldn't another club trade for him or snap him up in free agency. But he can't give away games. I'd say I would rate low turnovers as THE main criterion. Running ability, escaping sacks, going long, those are all too much to expect. But if you can get anyone who takes care of the ball, you should go for him since you mainly expect to lean on your franchise QB.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:54 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,495,668 times
Matt Moore Dolphins

Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM

3,193 posts, read 4,654,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Vikings continue to lead the league in back-up quarterbacks, in addition to the two on the current roster, with a third soon to be added, they also have former solid back-ups; McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Joe Webb, Tarvaris Jackson and Shaun Hill not-playing or contributing elsewhere but still spreading the Viking philosophy. So we got that going for us...which is nice.
Yep, we sure got a lot going for us.

I can barely remember what a quality NFL starting quarterback looks like. I hate to admit it, but Favre was the last one. I was really hoping Ponder would develop. We're #1 in having the most #2's.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,079,518 times
I would say Matt Moore of the Dolphins is probably the best backup in the NFL.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:21 AM
YAZ

7,083 posts, read 11,867,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Kitna was better than Romo in my opinion. He was blamed for the demise of a horrible run Lions team. I feel bad for the guy.

Another guy I like is Matt Flynn.

I liked Kitna too. He ended up as my nephew's coach in Tacoma, WA. My only link to the NFL.

But even though I have a fondness for JK, my money's on Shawn Hill....who has a legitimate shot (IMHO), to be the starter for the Rams next year.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:24 AM
YAZ

7,083 posts, read 11,867,909 times
Charlie Batch would've been my first pick but he recently retired.

Dang.
Anyone notice that my choices all were in Detroit at one time?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:41 PM

11,729 posts, read 11,570,688 times
Well, seems like Matt Flynn will be back with the Packers after all! He plays reasonably well for them, not so much other places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or