U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 AM

5,147 posts, read 6,337,382 times

Advertisements

News about Mike Vick and Mark Sanchez and Matt Barkley made me wonder who are the best backup QBs in the league. Now that Jay Cutler's backup went to Tampa (I think), it is no longer Chicago. So who is it? Does Kirk Cousins qualify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 02:08 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
I don't know but they sure are important to a degree! Look at the mess the Packers had because they didn't have a plan in place. Rodgers did not miss games so they gambled and lost terribly. He missed a game and a half in 2010, none in '11 or '12. Now Flynn is a FA again and my thought is they better pay the man, at least he can play in their system.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:18 PM

23,631 posts, read 33,419,067 times
I would say Shaun Hill formerly from Detroit, but a free agent now. Hill would not be a threat to a starting QB, but if needed he could move an offense well. Tavares Jackson I'd say the same for.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:28 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,337,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I don't know but they sure are important to a degree! Look at the mess the Packers had because they didn't have a plan in place. Rodgers did not miss games so they gambled and lost terribly. He missed a game and a half in 2010, none in '11 or '12. Now Flynn is a FA again and my thought is they better pay the man, at least he can play in their system.
The Bills got to be a complete circus. At one point, I think a guy was recruited from a high school job somewehre? Wish I could remember the details, but it sounded bizarre. And this was when their first round pick couldn't play like a franchise QB.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Kitna was better than Romo in my opinion. He was blamed for the demise of a horrible run Lions team. I feel bad for the guy.

Another guy I like is Matt Flynn.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:03 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
I do, too like Matt but as more than one analyst has said, seems like he does best when he plays in Green Bay.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:39 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,949,511 times
I suppose it really depends on whether the backup QB is simply a placeholder or a developmental prospect. Some guys, like Cassel, really aren't cut out to be a starting QB, even if they manage to not suck when they do. On the other hand, Rodgers was a backup. Was. Come to think of it, so was Colin Kapernick. Nick Foles too.

Generally backups that are that good don't stay backups for long. Figure Bortles, Bridgewater, and Manziel will probably initially be backups, the Jags, Browns, and Texans have reasonably viable QBs.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,272,570 times
What role does the backup quarterback serve?

To step in and lead a team to a championship? Those days are gone - the relative importance of the quarterback has gotten too high in the NFL, and no team can afford to keep two SB-caliber quarterbacks on their roster.

To mentor a young, developing starting quarterback? Absolutely.

To be a backup/quarterback-of-the-future who is a placeholder behind a veteran to starts temporarily while imparting his wisdom to the young student of the game? Again, absolutely.

A solid backup should be able to manage games and allow his supporting cast to beat the bad/mediocre teams, and not screw up against the good teams and allow his team to at least have a chance in some of those games.

But as far as making a championship run, in today's quarterback-centric NFL if a starting quarterback is lost for a season it is a fluke if the backup turns out to be of championship-caliber - if he does and anyone knew it, he wouldn't be a backup and would either be starting for that team or would have left via free agency or trade to another team that would start him.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Figure Bortles, Bridgewater, and Manziel will probably initially be backups, the Jags, Browns, and Texans have reasonably viable QBs.
Jags QBs today: Chad Henne, Ricky Stanzi, Matt Scott
Browns QBs today: Brian Hoyer, Alex Tanney
Texans QBs today: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, TJ Yates

Any of those rookies that can not beat out these guys listed above at some point this year is in trouble. The only "reasonably viable" option I see is Fitzpatrick and maybe, maybe Henne.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:08 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Vikings continue to lead the league in back-up quarterbacks, in addition to the two on the current roster, with a third soon to be added, they also have former solid back-ups; McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Joe Webb, Tarvaris Jackson and Shaun Hill not-playing or contributing elsewhere but still spreading the Viking philosophy. So we got that going for us...which is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or