U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,701,662 times

Advertisements

Cheerleaders make the NFL's billions. They deserve to be paid minimum wage | Nichi Hodgson | Comment is free | theguardian.com

NFL Cheerleading Is A Scam: A Former Ravens Cheerleader Tells All

I know I gonna get some criticism for this - but this article lays out a good case why cheerleaders should be compensated more for they do-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 AM

1,676 posts, read 755,414 times
I don't know what they are currently paid, but a friend's wife is a former Colts cheerleader and she only made like $50 a game.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
I can't find the post but there was a discussion on this last year when the Raiders cheerleaders had a lawsuit. There was an article in USA Today.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,880,945 times
Well it is ridiculous what they get paid for the time they put in. But it goes back to the old saying about ...."noone putting a gun to their head and making them do it". They know what the deal is and still do it. So if they want to be paid crap for their time and effort, then that's on them. Most of them like the attention they get, just like a lot of young girls do. That's why a lot of young girls clamor to become models or pose in girly magazines. They love the attention and to be noticed. But noone is making them do it.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,060,010 times
I absolutely agree that NFL cheerleaders should get, at least, minimum wage (and probably deserve way more) for all the time they put in. Their routines take a lot of practice, and most of their hard work doesn't take place on Sundays. Also, there are a lot of terms in their contracts stating how they need to look and how they need to behave. For adhering to those terms and performing on Sundays (and at other required events), NFL cheerleaders should definitely be paid like every other worker. It's not like NFL teams are strapped for cash and can't afford to pay cheerleaders more. Of course since they can get away with paying $50 (or whatever the wage is today) a game, that's what teams pay them.

However, being an NFL cheerleader could lead to lucrative opportunities. The cheerleader could marry a player (even though it's frowned upon), make paid public appearances, or be a swimsuit model or choreographer. Simply putting NFL cheerleader on a resume in the business world could make a woman stand out among other applicants. From that standpoint, NFL cheerleading is more like a paid internship that could lead to better gigs to the future. Even so, I don't see how anyone could argue that the NFL, a billion dollar industry, is just in its treatment of cheerleaders.

Last edited by maniac77; 04-01-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,900,220 times
Most of them wouldn't have a shot of getting on TV, hoping to develop 'a modeling career' if it wasn't for cheerleading, the exposure should be more than enough. Beside there are plenty of gals with model aspirations and/or low self estemm who would work for half of what they get.

FWIW get rid of the cheerleaders, they bring nothing to the game.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 PM

28,545 posts, read 15,485,205 times
From a relative standpoint - they should get more.

I am not worried about the other stipulations - they sign up for that... but they should get paid more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football