U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 PM

23,670 posts, read 33,545,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lots of college kids keep their noses clean and are upstanding citizens.
Why does he get a pass?

The point is he has shown you who he is. Class and character do not appear to be part of the equation.
I'm not giving him a pass, I'm saying he is just like any other human being. He's flawed and makes mistakes.

At the end of the day he has talent, which a team will put at a major priority over class and character, if they have the right situation around him. Also, it is possible that he can get his attitude right. Just take a look at Cam Newton in Carolina who changed from a whiner in year two to a leader and clutch player in year three. Or a lesser-known case Jimmy Smith up in Baltimore who had red flags and character issues out the backside when he was drafted. He had the right situation around him and turned into a good player who has kept out of trouble.

Quote:
but then you have to draft him late b/c otherwise you're paying big bucks to sit.

he's like 6'0'' and 218lbs
Teams all around the NFL are paying millions of dollars of dead money under the cap to players who are not even on the team anymore. So that is a dead argument. Also BTW the rookie year will likely be the cheapest year of the draft pick's contract.

Russell Wilson is 5'11 about 210 and that does not seem to bother him any. Of course, not much bothers you when you are holding a Lombardi trophy.

I know the trend now is to start the rookie QB but for every Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck who plays well because they have talent around them there is a David Carr or Tim Couch who have their career ruined because they got cast into bad situations too early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM

28,673 posts, read 15,549,029 times
Yes.

Plays under pressure. Plays well in big games. Winning attitude.

Yeah he's a little cocky - depending on the makeup of the team, that can be a positive.

Tiger Woods was cocky - dominated. New Tiger - not so cocky, not so dominant.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 PM

9,431 posts, read 17,460,099 times
If my team needed a QB this year or next, yes. If my team already had a great QB but he was still available towards the end of the first round, possibly. He could well be a top-rated NFL QB in a few years.

He's made one bone-headed decision (autographs) but I haven't heard of any problems with drugs or alcohol, no problems with the law, no problems with following coach's orders, showing up to practice, etc. He's was a big deal on campus and he'll probably be a bid deal on some NFL team. He's cocky. BFD. I would be too, and at his age I'd have been worse. I matured and so will he.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:31 AM

10,508 posts, read 5,977,324 times
I still can't believe all the hate this guy gets. So he parties, this just in millions of college kids like to party. If I were in his position I'd have fun too. You want to talk about a lack of character? Are you guys aware of all the flaws Cam Newton has? It's sure worse than a guy who likes to go out. Ban him from drinking? Give me a break. Gonna do that for any other player in the entire league? Didn't think so.

The guy makes plays. This is not the old NFL, mobile QBs who make plays are finally given a chance and one just won the SB. I'm rooting for the guy and hope he proves the haters wrong.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 AM

5,806 posts, read 6,604,689 times
I'm not sure if he is a such a top first rounder as ESPN may try to make us believe. Being a Browns fan, if he is still available at #26, then maybe. I would sit him for a year and have him learn. But he will need strong peer leadership in the lockeroom.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 AM

10,508 posts, read 5,977,324 times
Not a chance he falls out of the top 10. This is a QB league, you gotta have one to compete as well all know. Teams overdraft QBs all the time hoping they can hit on a guy who can change their franchise. I'd take a chance on Manzell before I'd do the same with guys like Ponder, Gabbert and all the other top 10 reaches.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 AM

818 posts, read 743,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I still can't believe all the hate this guy gets. So he parties, this just in millions of college kids like to party. If I were in his position I'd have fun too. You want to talk about a lack of character? Are you guys aware of all the flaws Cam Newton has? It's sure worse than a guy who likes to go out. Ban him from drinking? Give me a break. Gonna do that for any other player in the entire league? Didn't think so.

The guy makes plays. This is not the old NFL, mobile QBs who make plays are finally given a chance and one just won the SB. I'm rooting for the guy and hope he proves the haters wrong.
But the millions of other college kids aren't the face of college football with a million dollar future ahead of him. The millions of college kids aren't in his position so I hold him to a higher standard and expect him to be, like I said, Derek Jeter in shoulder pads. You don't see Jeter out in the clubs flashing cash and whatnot. You don't see Peyton Manning doing that. They keep to themselves and excel at their jobs. Maybe an entire ban on drinking was extreme, but if I'm a coach, he's on a very short leash with me. He did get arrested in 2012. I think its a snowball effect. He was posting pictures drinking underage, which a lot of kids do I know. Then he shows up to the 21+ clubs at age 20. Next thing you know he's flashing cash. The big one was the Manning camp where he was too hangover to show up. Some franchise quarterback. Sounds like Todd Marinovich 2.0. He goes from innocent college partying to big boy NFL partying and next thing you know the cops find him passed out in a hotel OD'd on coke with 3 Puerto Rican prostitutes.

Last edited by irishfan77; 04-07-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM

43,643 posts, read 52,882,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

He's made one bone-headed decision (autographs) but I haven't heard of any problems with drugs or alcohol, no problems with the law, no problems with following coach's orders, showing up to practice, etc. .
Do you not get the news?

Arrested for fighting
holding fake licenses
DUI
Didn't show up to Manning's passing camp
And that's besides his being an overall jerk to his teammates, etc.

Yeah, he's something special, but I don't remember hearing anything about Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning (hell, even Eli Manning), etc, etc, etc...

The QB is not just some other player. He needs to step up.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM

9,431 posts, read 17,460,099 times

You're embarrassing me. No, I was totally unaware of all that. If that's the case, I'll button it.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 AM

5,806 posts, read 6,604,689 times
Of course he will be drafted. Is he worth a #1 pick? That should be the debate.

There are a few teams where his talents would work well. He will need a strong mentor to keep him focused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football