U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 AM

1,643 posts, read 1,601,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do you not get the news?

Arrested for fighting
holding fake licenses
DUI
Didn't show up to Manning's passing camp
And that's besides his being an overall jerk to his teammates, etc.

Yeah, he's something special, but I don't remember hearing anything about Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning (hell, even Eli Manning), etc, etc, etc...

The QB is not just some other player. He needs to step up.

Oh you're just a hater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,093,018 times
Yes.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:29 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,906,373 times
No.

He was very fortunate to have 3 or 4 guys blocking for him that will play in the pros, early rounders too. As well as a couple receivers who will collect checks as well.

I thought he ran more often than needed. He's not that big either. A few Aggies I know will say under their breath that he isn't first round talent.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:38 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,291,875 times
From a business point of view, for a team in need of a starting quarterback Johnny Manziel could be a very profitable move.

There are a lot more ways to put butts in seats and sell merchandise and generate local buzz about a franchise than simply winning, and Manziel is extremely marketable. Downside? Sure. But loads of upside, especially short-term upside. And the NFL has numerous owners that make money hand over fist without worrying too much about winning. Given what a crapshoot even first-round quarterbacks are (the majority of them - go ahead, look it up - will never even be named to a single Pro Bowl, much less have a long run as a championship-caliber QB), drafting Manziel is a business decision with a lot of comparative upside.

A bad-to-mediocre team with no particular talent at quarterback could draft Manziel and reap the rewards. If he pans out, great. If he doesn't pan out, they can dump him in two or three years while still milking his tenure for all it is worth in the meantime, and it would be worth a lot in terms of dollars.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:56 PM

2,372 posts, read 3,063,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
From a business point of view, for a team in need of a starting quarterback Johnny Manziel could be a very profitable move.

There are a lot more ways to put butts in seats and sell merchandise and generate local buzz about a franchise than simply winning, and Manziel is extremely marketable. Downside? Sure. But loads of upside, especially short-term upside. And the NFL has numerous owners that make money hand over fist without worrying too much about winning. Given what a crapshoot even first-round quarterbacks are (the majority of them - go ahead, look it up - will never even be named to a single Pro Bowl, much less have a long run as a championship-caliber QB), drafting Manziel is a business decision with a lot of comparative upside.

A bad-to-mediocre team with no particular talent at quarterback could draft Manziel and reap the rewards. If he pans out, great. If he doesn't pan out, they can dump him in two or three years while still milking his tenure for all it is worth in the meantime, and it would be worth a lot in terms of dollars.
I didn't like reading your post but half way thru it occurred to me that you're no jive turkey, sad state of affairs regarding US sports IMO.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 PM

5,110 posts, read 4,960,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I wouldn't draft him at all, in any round. His play style is like someone drag racing while being drunk honestly, he's lucky he had the O-line he had with Jochel and Matthews and he's lucky he had massive WR's to throw to( Seals Jones was like 6'6 as was Evans). Swope, even though not huge, was reliable. Some point out he's quick and agile. You know who else is quick and agile? the 245 pound linebacker blitzing you. Then there's his attitude, I've heard he's matured, but the question is just how mature? Has he moved from an 8th grade maturity level to 9th grade? I know college kids aren't poster children for maturity but still. The incident at Madden camp and the autograph thing. If I'm drafting a franchise player like he's supposed to be, I want a quiet workhorse like a Derek Jeter in pads. If I he did end up on my team here's what I would do, I'd hire someone to chaperone him from the time he left practice until he went to bed, 7 days a week and no clubbing and no drinking, not one drop, the last thing I need as a coach is a call at 3 in the morning like " Hey, Manziel's been arrested for a DUI". I don't trust this kid at all, I see him as Beiber with shoulder pads and I'll be shocked if he retires without 3 or more mugshots.

Johnny Manziel's Strong Wonderlic Test Could Boost Draft Stock Even Further | ThePostGame

Johnny Manziel's already-high draft stock could be on the rise again.

Weeks after Manziel impressed scouts at his pro day last month, the 21-year-old from Texas A&M can now add a strong Wonderlic score to his portfolio.

Lance Zierlein, a Houston radio host, and John Middlekauff, a former NFL scout and current San Francisco radio host, each tweeted Thursday that Manziel had scored above 30, and NFL Network's Albert Breer reported Friday that it was a 32:

Yes you draft Manziel and you take him first !

Old 04-11-2014, 05:23 PM

21,369 posts, read 21,948,539 times
I would take him at #8 and at this time that's the only slot I care about. I fear that we'll end up with Bridgewater instead. But, Slick Rick Spielman is planning on some wheelin' and dealin' and in the end we'll end up with several picks that we didn't think would be there for us when it came to our turn.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,906,373 times
Sorry Ghengis, I'd rather have Bridgewater than Manziel. I'm hoping we get a lineman that falls.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:16 PM

28,551 posts, read 15,494,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Sorry Ghengis, I'd rather have Bridgewater than Manziel. I'm hoping we get a lineman that falls.
Bridgewater reportedly a 20 on the test.

Bortles - 28.

History...
Luck - 37
Griffin - 24
Payton - 28, Eli - 39 - Interesting that Eli has more rings...
Alex Smith - 40
CKap - 38
ARogers - 35
TBrady - 33
DMarino - 15
RWilson - 24
Flacco - 27
Tebow - 22
VYoung - 6 then 16
MVick - 20
McNabb - 14
Romo - 37 - well that just blew the trend away right there.

This is interesting
BGabbert - 42 - another one that blows the trend away

Last edited by DRob4JC; 04-11-2014 at 10:25 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 08:15 AM

2,716 posts, read 2,616,841 times
I think Bridgewater and Manziel are bust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football