U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 AM

818 posts, read 742,214 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't draft him at all, in any round. His play style is like someone drag racing while being drunk honestly, he's lucky he had the O-line he had with Jochel and Matthews and he's lucky he had massive WR's to throw to( Seals Jones was like 6'6 as was Evans). Swope, even though not huge, was reliable. Some point out he's quick and agile. You know who else is quick and agile? the 245 pound linebacker blitzing you. Then there's his attitude, I've heard he's matured, but the question is just how mature? Has he moved from an 8th grade maturity level to 9th grade? I know college kids aren't poster children for maturity but still. The incident at Madden camp and the autograph thing. If I'm drafting a franchise player like he's supposed to be, I want a quiet workhorse like a Derek Jeter in pads. If I he did end up on my team here's what I would do, I'd hire someone to chaperone him from the time he left practice until he went to bed, 7 days a week and no clubbing and no drinking, not one drop, the last thing I need as a coach is a call at 3 in the morning like " Hey, Manziel's been arrested for a DUI". I don't trust this kid at all, I see him as Beiber with shoulder pads and I'll be shocked if he retires without 3 or more mugshots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 AM

568 posts, read 567,727 times
Yes. He can be the water boy.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:34 AM

43,584 posts, read 52,772,341 times
He has bad character.
That being said, if your team really needed a QB and you do not have years to ramp up, then it would be hard to say no.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:42 AM

6,573 posts, read 10,302,750 times
If Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, or Derrek Carr are still available then no. They're either more pro ready or carry less baggage than Manziel.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,742,849 times
No

Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
Yes.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 AM

23,655 posts, read 33,488,749 times
I would draft Manziel if I had an established leadership hierarchy in the locker room a'la the Ravens and Ray Lewis that could help keep him in line and also if I had a placeholder/stopgap QB who could start for a year while Johnny sits on the bench like a Chad Henne or Matt Cassel. I think the character issue is a little overblown, he does stupid stuff like a lot of college kids do.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 AM

43,584 posts, read 52,772,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I would draft Manziel if I had an established leadership hierarchy in the locker room a'la the Ravens and Ray Lewis that could help keep him in line and also if I had a placeholder/stopgap QB who could start for a year while Johnny sits on the bench like a Chad Henne or Matt Cassel. I think the character issue is a little overblown, he does stupid stuff like a lot of college kids do.
Lots of college kids keep their noses clean and are upstanding citizens.
Why does he get a pass?

The point is he has shown you who he is. Class and character do not appear to be part of the equation.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 AM

2,373 posts, read 3,063,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

but then you have to draft him late b/c otherwise you're paying big bucks to sit.

he's like 6'0'' and 218lbs. He'll get killed being a modern "fran tarkenton"

so the ? is, can he be a NFL level Pocket passer? the answer is NO.

(I know, he had a great "pro" day, where a QB throws without any pressure to wide open receivers, yeah, that mimics real life in the NFL)

totally useless....

and character counts, he ain't going to be drafted to be the 3rd string TE, but the quarterback.

/thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:30 PM

6,780 posts, read 10,189,360 times
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football