Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:34 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

I'm a Randy Moss hater, it kills me when players waste their gifts. With that said he is certainly on my short list of greatest athletes. Someone mentioned Plax. Moss had the same size but could literally run circles around Burress. There is absolutely no comparison when it came to flat out speed between the 2. We have never seen a WR with that size, speed, and hands all in one package. He had it all, just didn't care enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 03:53 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm a Randy Moss hater, it kills me when players waste their gifts. With that said he is certainly on my short list of greatest athletes. Someone mentioned Plax. Moss had the same size but could literally run circles around Burress. There is absolutely no comparison when it came to flat out speed between the 2. We have never seen a WR with that size, speed, and hands all in one package. He had it all, just didn't care enough.
I was happy to have him as a Viking all his early years, but I'm not a fan of his. I tire quickly with these pampered, yet extremely gifted ego-driven athletes. He was a jerk who seemed to actually take pride in the fact that if the play wasn't involving him, he refused to even act as a decoy let alone throw a block.

All the years that he was a Viking he wasn't their best receiver. That was Chris Carter. Moss easily was the most talented though. End of story.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:37 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
I do think Moss is among the most gifted athletes ever, but it gets really dicey when you start trying to name the greatest ever...however, I think you can make a strong argument for Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders.

Heck, wouldnt Lawrence Taylor deserve some mention in this thread (Yes, I am a Giants fan, so I have to say it)

Old 06-18-2014, 01:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Emphatically no. Emmit Smith accomplished more than Moss wished he could have.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:43 PM

513 posts, read 695,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Emphatically no. Emmit Smith accomplished more than Moss wished he could have.
Literally has nothing at all to do with the point of the TS.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:08 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvodene View Post
Jerry Rice.
Nah, while Rice was no slouch athletically, he was always viewed as a guy who worked is tail off during the off-season and played hard every down. The opposite of Moss. Had Moss worked his butt off like Rice, he would have had a real shot of being as good or better than Rice.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:29 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
honestly....i don't even think he was THAT athletic. I mean, he was tall and skinny...and could easily out jump his opponents for lob passes. I wouldn't exactly call that a great athlete, so much as taking advantage of his unique stature.

There are quite a few receivers in the game today that are probably more "athletic" than Moss. Megatron, Marshall, Bryant, Pierre Garcon, Demaryus Thomas, etc, etc.

While he was a great receiver, Randy moss wasn't particularly athletic, he was just a tall, skinny dude who could catch jump balls thrown high downfield.

my opinion anyway....
Yeah, he was.

Most athetic ever? Probably not. Athletic? Very athletic? Definitely.

The NFL has plenty of tall and fast receivers. Moss was more than simply tall and fast.

Here's an example of Moss' athleticism. In high school, he was West Virginia Player of the Year three times. But only once in football; the other two times were in basketball. Sorry, you're not Player-of-the-Year in two different sports just because you're 'tall and skinny and can jump'. He won state championships in track - 100m and 200m. At age 14. The only year he ever ran track.

Lots of players are tall and fast. To constantly be able to jump to meet the ball, to catch the ball, and to hold the ball while being hit by a defensive back, isn't a matter of being able to jump.

Oh, and those two NFL touchdown passes he threw in 8 career attempts, for 106 yards? The NFL is full of quarterbacks - who spent years and years playing quarterback in high school and college and at training camp and in in preseason games - who don't do that in their first 8 pro passes. Moss did it not from repetition and intensive tutelage by the quarterbacks coach but just because he was extremely athletic.

The idea that Moss was anything but very athletic is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I was happy to have him as a Viking all his early years, but I'm not a fan of his. I tire quickly with these pampered, yet extremely gifted ego-driven athletes. He was a jerk who seemed to actually take pride in the fact that if the play wasn't involving him, he refused to even act as a decoy let alone throw a block.

All the years that he was a Viking he wasn't their best receiver. That was Chris Carter. Moss easily was the most talented though. End of story.
First of all, Cris Carter was not better than Moss the three years Moss was in Minnesota after Carter was no longer a Viking - so, no, Carter wasn't their best receiver "all the years he [Moss] was a Viking".

But then, Carter was a possession receiver and Moss was a deep threat - though one who could play the short pass better than Carter could play deep. Carter undoubtedly worked harder for his yards than Moss. But Moss was clearly a better player.

Touchdowns? Yards? Yards after catch? Moss, Moss, Moss.

Finally, the NFL team record for offensive points in a season - the Vikings set it in 1998, during Moss' record-setting rookie season. It stood until 2007, when the Patriots topped it. It wasn't coincidence that Randy Moss played on that team, too.

As an aside, I'm amused by sports fans who get so hung up on the attitudes of players. Are you a fan of the sport, or a fan-boy looking for someone to worship? And if it's the latter, Carter pouted endlessly, threw tantrums on the sidelines, and complained about non-calls (claiming they should have been calls, never happy with the spot) to the refs more than any player I've ever seen. Not that I care, because he was a brilliant possession receiver. But then, I'm not the one whining about displays on the field, am I?

Last edited by Unsettomati; 07-06-2014 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 04:31 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Yeah because complaining about calls on the sidelines is exactly the same thing as dogging it on the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football