Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Dave,
I have permanently erased the 1981 SB from my memory banks as a result of the 1981 NFC Championship game despite ESPNs constant reminder.

I have a top 5 that I can't put in any order other than chronologically;

Graham
Unitas
Montana
Elway
Manning

LOL, Boys fan huh?

Graham is an interesting pull. I've heard that Sammy Baugh may be the best ever but I just can't bring myself to bring up guys that long ago. I have no clue what the game was like and how they effected it. I'm old enough to have seen Unitas, although not in the famous Championship Game. But I've got enough info on him.

But it's funny we are arguing such a small difference. I go back to Roger Staubach and I can't imagine a QB coming up bigger when it mattered more often than that guy. Yet he's not even in the conversation which just goes to show how little difference there is between #3-#4 and #10-#11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 05:57 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
If the Cowboys had won those 2 SBs vs the Steelers, which Staubach played really good in SBXIII but not so good in SBX.. he might very well be in everyone's top 5! Staubach was unquestionably a better QB than Bradshaw was yet he could not beat the Steelers... you could almost draw a parallel between the Staubach/Bradshaw debate and Manning/Brady especially early in the Manning/Brady rivalry. Back in the late 70s or early 80s you could find football fans arguing that Bradshaw was better than Staubach merely because of the 2 SB wins over him but as time goes on more and more fans are leaning towards Staubach. I think the same thing will happen with Brady/Manning. Many fans will argue Brady is better just because he has 3 rings vs Mannings 1 but in time, I think the pendulum will swing back to Manning.

I typically have Staubach in the next rung along with Brady, Marino, Favre, Baugh...

Old 06-12-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
If the Cowboys had won those 2 SBs vs the Steelers, which Staubach played really good in SBXIII but not so good in SBX.. he might very well be in everyone's top 5! Staubach was unquestionably a better QB than Bradshaw was yet he could not beat the Steelers... you could almost draw a parallel between the Staubach/Bradshaw debate and Manning/Brady especially early in the Manning/Brady rivalry. Back in the late 70s or early 80s you could find football fans arguing that Bradshaw was better than Staubach merely because of the 2 SB wins over him but as time goes on more and more fans are leaning towards Staubach. I think the same thing will happen with Brady/Manning. Many fans will argue Brady is better just because he has 3 rings vs Mannings 1 but in time, I think the pendulum will swing back to Manning.

I typically have Staubach in the next rung along with Brady, Marino, Favre, Baugh...
Favre? Meh. Staubach never threw away games at the end with boneheaded plays the way Favre did on a regular basis. In fact none of the QBs we've discussed did.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:49 AM

I think Farve tarnished his image a bit during his latter years but for a string of about 5-7 years (MVP for three consecutive years) he was the best in the game and easily the best during his era (IMO). In the end, I think the records (TDs, Yards) and longevity simply outweigh the mistakes he made in latter games. Its just impossible for me to leave a guy like him OUT of the top 10 especially when he holds such significant Passing records!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 AM

Very true but even in his prime he had a lot of WTF? moments. The best ever simply didn't do that. If he never played another down I'd take Aaron Rogers over Favre.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:40 PM

IMO, Rodgers has had only 1 Great year.. the Packers (mainly Rodgers) got hot at the end of that one season and he basically carried them to a Super Bowl title.. He remained HOT most of the next season but cooled in the Playoffs and we haven't seen that same guy since... He's great, no doubt but needs a few more years like the one he had to be considered in the top 10 and probably few more than that before I would put him above Favre....

Old 06-13-2014, 05:13 PM

513 posts, read 695,705 times
Quote:
IMO, Rodgers has had only 1 Great year.. the Packers (mainly Rodgers) got hot at the end of that one season and he basically carried them to a Super Bowl title.. He remained HOT most of the next season but cooled in the Playoffs and we haven't seen that same guy since... He's great, no doubt but needs a few more years like the one he had to be considered in the top 10 and probably few more than that before I would put him above Favre....
I agree he needs more time to be considered elite. However, one great year? You cannot be serious. He has had at least 4 elite years. Considering he has only really been the starter for 6 years and last year was debunked by injury that is a hell of a streak.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
I agree he needs more time to be considered elite. However, one great year? You cannot be serious. He has had at least 4 elite years. Considering he has only really been the starter for 6 years and last year was debunked by injury that is a hell of a streak.
Yeah that's the way I see it too. Rogers has been the best player in the game for several years IMO.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 AM

Rodgers certainly has an argument for best QB in the game.. but Manning was clearly better last year and Peterson was the best player the prior year.. so... I just don't put Rodgers at the top of the pile.. certainly close, but not the top.

Perhaps one of the issues is that Rodgers set the bar for himself very high with that magical playoff run and follow up regular season. He might have been the best in the game since then but I haven't really noticed because IMO, he has not played at the same level since them.. but then again, I have not seen every Packer game.. so. I am sure I missing a lot.

Rodgers won the MVP that one year but since, he has not really been in the discussion.. Favre won the MVP 3 times in a row. Perhaps Rodgers will surpass Favre in my eyes someday but if he were to quit today, there is just no way I could put him ahead of Favre.. no way!

Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
When he's long retired, like 30 years from now, honestly, I think I'll remember him more for his overall failure as a playoff QB( except that 1 ring against a Chicago team with no offense). Yes, he's a legendary QB, but all of his " legendary" moments, happened between week 1 and week 16. He spent the early 2000s being dominated by NE, finally won a ring only to throw a game ending pick against NO, and recently, scored only 8 points in the Super Bowl( although I will admit Seattle's D was fantastic).

Both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football