U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 09:27 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times

Advertisements

Chargers preseason schedule just came out
Week 1 at Tennessee
Week 2 vs Arizona
Week 3 at Minnesota
Week 4 vs San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:31 AM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
I read up on the situation with Joey Bosa's holdout. It looks like the Chargers are trying to buck a precedent of where there is either or in some cases both a offset language or the full signing bonus in the rookie year. Bosa wants one or the other, the Chargers don't want to give him either. This is not a unique issue for the Chargers with rookies. Everyone remembers the Eli Manning power play but also Quentin Jammer had a long holdout with the Chargers also.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:51 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times
Bringing this thread up to date since it has been a few months since this thread was updated. This was the Chargers' last game in San Diego. They could move to Los Angeles next year depending where they opt to move.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:05 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
After finishing the 2016 season with a 5-11 record, the Chargers have fired head coach Mike McCoy.

I wonder which direction the Chargers will take at quarterback in the 2017 season. I think Philip Rivers' tenure with the Chargers is nearing the end.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 PM

3,719 posts, read 3,876,963 times
Looks as if the Charges will be moving to Los Angeles for the 2017 season.

Report: Chargers to announce move to Los Angeles | ProFootballTalk

The Chargers are reportedly moving to Los Angeles | FOX Sports

Such a shame another NFL franchise will be moving.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 PM

141 posts, read 93,588 times
I bet Stan hopes that the Chargers are around long enough to pay off the new stadium.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,507,279 times
I don't get L.A. supporting two teams. Especially the Chargers with cheap ownership, trades away good players etc. Even here we don't sell out games I can't see it working.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:57 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I don't get L.A. supporting two teams. Especially the Chargers with cheap ownership, trades away good players etc. Even here we don't sell out games I can't see it working.
Greater Los Angeles has over 15 million people. That's over twice as many people as Houston. Over three times as many people as Boston. Over four times as many people as San Diego. Over five times as many people as Pittsburgh. Over six times as many people as Indianapolis.

What's not to get?

If the Los Angeles Chargers and the Los Angeles Rams sell out all of their combined home games, that's a quarter million less than the two flippin' NHL teams.

Yes, two NFL teams in the Los Angeles area can sell 80% of the tickets that two NHL teams sell year in and year out.

Los Angeles has the stadium (or will, in two years). It has the luxury boxes, which is where most of the money is and, yes, they will all be sold out for every game.

Again... what's not to get?

It's not a matter of liking the move, liking or disliking San Diego or Los Angeles. It's just matters of business and logistics, and given the population base and the new stadium, it's a no-brainer.

Professional sports only pretend to be tribal entities. It's their public image. But it's all a charade. They're as mercenary as any business. And nine times out of time, a dollar in another city beats ninety-nine cents in the town they've spent decades telling you is the greatest town on Earth.

Personally, I think the city of San Diego has its priorities straight on this one.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,226,868 times
It's going to be weird calling them the LA Chargers. I'm wondering if they keep the Chargers name or will they change it? Also thought I read something awhile back that Phillip Rivers didn't support the idea of having to play in LA. Do you think Rivers will ask to be traded now that the Chargers are in fact moving?

Old 01-12-2017, 07:06 AM

1,268 posts, read 1,507,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Greater Los Angeles has over 15 million people. That's over twice as many people as Houston. Over three times as many people as Boston. Over four times as many people as San Diego. Over five times as many people as Pittsburgh. Over six times as many people as Indianapolis.

What's not to get?

If the Los Angeles Chargers and the Los Angeles Rams sell out all of their combined home games, that's a quarter million less than the two flippin' NHL teams.

Yes, two NFL teams in the Los Angeles area can sell 80% of the tickets that two NHL teams sell year in and year out.

Los Angeles has the stadium (or will, in two years). It has the luxury boxes, which is where most of the money is and, yes, they will all be sold out for every game.

Again... what's not to get?

It's not a matter of liking the move, liking or disliking San Diego or Los Angeles. It's just matters of business and logistics, and given the population base and the new stadium, it's a no-brainer.

Professional sports only pretend to be tribal entities. It's their public image. But it's all a charade. They're as mercenary as any business. And nine times out of time, a dollar in another city beats ninety-nine cents in the town they've spent decades telling you is the greatest town on Earth.

Personally, I think the city of San Diego has its priorities straight on this one.

Good points! Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or