U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,260,219 times

Advertisements

Since the Chargers relocated to LA, maybe this thread should be renamed the Los Angeles Chargers Team Thread. This is the first time since 1960 that the Chargers played in Los Angeles.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 01-12-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:26 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
^
I am really curious to see how the Raiders fare in Las Vegas.
I'm of the opinion that it will be very successful. I agree with other that if any team were to move to LA it should have been the Raiders. Raiders really are California's team. But I think the Raiders/Vegas relationship will workout well. I think any given weekend, I think there will be enough Raider fans willing to travel from all up and down California to spend a weekend in Vegas topping it off with a Raider game on Sunday. That's on top of however many locals decide to adopt the Raiders as their new team and of course on top of the fans who decide to travel to the game. I would imagine it would become a pretty popular ticket for visiting fans. Not necessarily a great thing for a home field advantage, but as far as the business side is concerned it's not a problem.

I also have a feeling this Charger thing may not actually be fully resolved yet. I just don't see the San Diego chargers working in LA at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear in a couple years a deal being worked out to bring the Chargers back to San Diego.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 PM

4,848 posts, read 6,364,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
San Diego will be just fine without the NFL, just like LA was for 20 years. The NFL will come crawling back in a few years.
The NFL won't come "crawling" back to San Diego. They'll come back as arrogant conquerors if/when tax payers are bilked out of millions for a stadium.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 AM

21,321 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Weird that the only three examples of a major franchise in one of the 'big four' (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) relocating and then relocating back to a city where it previously played involve Los Angeles:

Raiders, Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland
Rams, Los Angeles-St. Louis-Los Angeles
Chargers, Los Angeles-San Diego-Los Angeles

Playing in a small soccer stadium is curious - harkens back to 1961-66, when the Chargers played in Balboa Stadium with a seating capacity of 34,000...

actually have seen a football game in Balboa Stadium. while hitchhiking to SD from the TC in the mid-70's, found myself dropped off near there and there were two semi-pro, women's teams playing a game there...these were definitely not lingerie football teams. looks like it is still there but I recall the concrete bleachers as having been more extensive then they now appear.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...4d-117.1503978

Old 01-13-2017, 12:59 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,880,962 times
This is another misstep by the NFL in the last 4 years. Such a shame that the fine city of San Diego will never get to host another Super Bowl, meanwhile cities like Indianapolis and Detroit can.

How this league, which generates BILLIONS every year, cannot create a financing arm to allow teams to build new facilities is insane. I hope this comes back to hurt Spanos and the Chargers.

Another example of the NFL and some of its owners showing their greed.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:11 PM

4,848 posts, read 6,364,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
This is another misstep by the NFL in the last 4 years. Such a shame that the fine city of San Diego will never get to host another Super Bowl, meanwhile cities like Indianapolis and Detroit can.

How this league, which generates BILLIONS every year, cannot create a financing arm to allow teams to build new facilities is insane. I hope this comes back to hurt Spanos and the Chargers.

Detroit was only able to host for buiding Ford Field. It will be decades & another new stadium before Detroit hosts another Super Bowl.

NFL and the owners hold all of the cards because there will always be a city somewhere looking to flush tax dollars down the toilet. Most owners could finance their own stadium but most won't because it's a financial loser. People like to gripe about Jerry Jones but he, at least, puts his money where his mouth is.

I respect the fine folks of San Diego taking a stand against the NFL. LA fluxed muscle for a long time and Kroenke finally relented. Hope this is a trend that continues.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:09 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,013,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm a huge Chiefs fan, but I hate this so much. The Chargers should have stayed in San Diego. LA doesn't need two teams. They stole one from St Louis and can't support them any better than St Louis did and now they are taking another team? They will always be the San Diego Chargers to me.

You mean just like the Rams were always the Los Angeles Rams, even when they played in St. Louis?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:12 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,013,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The NFL won't come "crawling" back to San Diego. They'll come back as arrogant conquerors if/when tax payers are bilked out of millions for a stadium.

Unless SD ever builds a stadium of NFL caliber, but if that never happens, neither will the NFL ever crawl back to SD.

But I am with you, for SD, once the teams leaves, they will never get another one again.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:59 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,260,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Unless SD ever builds a stadium of NFL caliber, but if that never happens, neither will the NFL ever crawl back to SD.

But I am with you, for SD, once the teams leaves, they will never get another one again.
That goes the same for St. Louis.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:23 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,278,422 times
Quote:

They can. But why would they?

If the next town over was willing to build you a 5000 sq-ft home to move, with a pool and several other amenities. you'd probably move. So would I. So would most people.

Quote:
Those billionaires who spend billions on football teams didn't get to be billionaires by spending their own money when others were willing to spend their money on the billionaires' behalf.

The only thing NFL owners like more than winning football games is making money. That has been clear for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post

San Diego is now ripe for another team in some sport. It is the largest metropolitan area in the United States with only one franchise in the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL, and it has almost one million more people than the next largest (Portland). Only one metro area ahead of it has as few as two teams (Seattle). It's the largest metro area without an NFL team, the second-largest without an NBA team (after Seattle) and the third-largest without an NHL team (after Houston and Seattle).

San Diego will be used in the coming years as a relocation threat to induce cities to build new sports palaces for their teams. And it's not like there isn't local maneuvering to do just that.

http://www.mighty1090.com/2016/06/27...own-san-diego/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or