U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,509,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
https://sports.yahoo.com/least-shock...173917388.html

Another article, same points. I don't understand how the NFL thought this was going to be a good move? Nothing against the players, coaches and staff, but I am glad this is turning into a massive failure. A blatantly greedy owner is failing.
Ditto! Lifelong Charger fan, I was born the year they were. Greedy Spanos family! Fans felt screwed! Knew this would be a huge failure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 10:14 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,127,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...iability-in-la

If they end up moving again, my guess is San Antonio becomes a front-runner.
Wow...

Well, something hadn't been right since this whole move went down. LA is not exactly wholeheartedly embracing the Chargers, and apparently their wallets aren't really opening up either.

Sounds like a move could indeed happen. And, why not San Antonio? They're hungry for sports over there, and football has always been a very Texas thing. That should be a very good marriage.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,534,349 times
Eh, not worried. I'm just going to enjoy my Chargers in LA this season. It's all about the team on the field, don't really care that the stadium is tiny and that there are tons of road team fans in the building. This team is fun to watch, both on offense and defense.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:19 AM

23,648 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
https://sports.yahoo.com/least-shock...173917388.html

Another article, same points. I don't understand how the NFL thought this was going to be a good move? Nothing against the players, coaches and staff, but I am glad this is turning into a massive failure. A blatantly greedy owner is failing.
Let’s see alienate your SD fans by moving? Go to a city that didn’t want football in the first place and be the second team which has no fan base there? Get into a terrible stadium sharing deal as the second fiddle? Be ran by an cheap incompetent ahole? All check marks for failure.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:20 AM

10,686 posts, read 11,093,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Eh, not worried. I'm just going to enjoy my Chargers in LA this season. It's all about the team on the field, don't really care that the stadium is tiny and that there are tons of road team fans in the building. This team is fun to watch, both on offense and defense.
I don't blame you. I don't fault them from moving away from San Diego, even if I believe Los Angeles was a mistake. Enjoy them while they're there. And maybe they'll stick around and take root. If not it's going to be an awful look for the NFL when they move into the Rams new digs and draw 18,000 people in a stadium built for what? 65,000? 70,000?

I think a move to San Antonio is foreseeable. Another option I wouldn't rule out is St. Louis. That's a market of 2.8 million and with the Rams moving out there's a football vacuum there. If the Chargers wanted to stay on the West Coast they may consider Portland as well, though to my knowledge they have no suitable stadium. Maybe they could play in Eugene until one could be built. That would actually be pretty cool.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't blame you. I don't fault them from moving away from San Diego, even if I believe Los Angeles was a mistake. Enjoy them while they're there. And maybe they'll stick around and take root. If not it's going to be an awful look for the NFL when they move into the Rams new digs and draw 18,000 people in a stadium built for what? 65,000? 70,000?

I think a move to San Antonio is foreseeable. Another option I wouldn't rule out is St. Louis. That's a market of 2.8 million and with the Rams moving out there's a football vacuum there. If the Chargers wanted to stay on the West Coast they may consider Portland as well, though to my knowledge they have no suitable stadium. Maybe they could play in Eugene until one could be built. That would actually be pretty cool.
Well I do fault them for leaving San Diego, but what's done is done and I'm glad they're here in LA now. But I'm greedy and enjoy having two football teams to root for.

Both San Antonio & St. Louis are fine cities, I'm sure, and both could put passionate football fans in the seats. But a "Stan Kroenke" doesn't grow on trees. Those cities will need to either fund a new stadium or come across a mega-billionaire to help them out. The Chargers ownership has limited funds, they are not building their own stadium. They are basically getting a multi-billion dollar stadium built for them for nothing in Inglewood, all they gotta do is pay the rent.

I don't know, maybe the NFL forces the Spanos' to sell the team.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:25 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Well I do fault them for leaving San Diego, but what's done is done and I'm glad they're here in LA now. But I'm greedy and enjoy having two football teams to root for.

Both San Antonio & St. Louis are fine cities, I'm sure, and both could put passionate football fans in the seats. But a "Stan Kroenke" doesn't grow on trees. Those cities will need to either fund a new stadium or come across a mega-billionaire to help them out. The Chargers ownership has limited funds, they are not building their own stadium. They are basically getting a multi-billion dollar stadium built for them for nothing in Inglewood, all they gotta do is pay the rent.

I don't know, maybe the NFL forces the Spanos' to sell the team.
In an ideal world, yes they would. The new owners would move the team back to San Diego and build a new 65,000 seat stadium and have it be expandable to 73,000 so it can host the Super Bowl. San Diego is a fantastic city and was a great destination for the Big Game.

But in reality the Chargers are pretty much tied to Los Angeles for the next 20 years given all of the agreements they have in place with the new stadium.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:34 AM

Pretty surprised that the Titans didn't run the ball or go with the read option on that 2nd 2-point conversion. Well, I'm surprised that they even went for 2, Vrabel will have to answer those questions. But anyway, Chargers survive their "home" game in London. I guess it was worth waking up at 7am to watch this one.

A 5 - 2 start, such an improvement from last year.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 PM

20,909 posts, read 39,195,706 times
Amazing game tonight. Tied the Chiefs with 4 seconds left then made a 2-point conversion for the win.

Great football.

I hope this is Phil Rivers' year.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 PM

16,528 posts, read 20,980,909 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Good notes above.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, now this thread should get some activity. You have to credit the Chargers for playing one hell of a game. Philip Rivers might be the most hated quarterback in the NFL, but the guy is more resilient than anyone I've seen in some time outside of Tom Brady. Andy Reid is going to be thinking about this game for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or