U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 AM

9,739 posts, read 18,510,416 times

Advertisements

Three weeks ago it looked like the chargers were going to not make the playoffs.Now they are 1 win away from winning the afc west thanks to 3 straight wins & 2 straight losses by the Denver Broncos.This is quite unexpected cause their record isnt that great this year & rivers has been so so.This sun night the broncos vs the chargers in san diego.Its going to be a good game.The last time the chargers played the broncos was in denver & the denver QB got a incorrect call by the ref saying it was a incomplete pass when it actually was a fumble.This was towards the end of the game & the chargers would of won it.Its payback time.GO CHARGERS ! (the chargers are my 2nd fav nfl team).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:42 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,866,252 times
Alright, I am not a Chargers fan or a Broncos fan. I don't know much about either team, can somebody please explain to me the bad blood between Cutler and Rivers and other players? I mean I know they are in the same division so naturally rivals but there seems to be a lot of bad blood between the players especially Cutler and Rivers, why?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:37 PM

7,279 posts, read 8,272,064 times
^ A lot of trash-talk between the two teams. Someone called the other a punk. I dont know the full details.

Anyway, I hope San Diego wins

Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 PM

16,549 posts, read 21,054,113 times
One of these days Philip Rivers will get his lunch. Won't be the Broncos; their defense is at the bottom of the AFC. They are talent deficient on the line and they know it. Barring an unforseen miracle, the Chargers take this one 34 to 20.

Back to Rivers. While I am an obvious Denver fan, my observation is that this has escalated beyond common sense. The Broncos over the last six meetings have not played well, dropping four of the last five games to the Chargers. In Denver early in the '07 season the Broncos got hammered 41 to 3. In the Denver papers Rivers apparently gave a needle to the Broncos over a poor performance. The game at San Diego Rivers and other Chargers were pointing fingers, using various finger gestures, etc at the Broncos in general and Cutler in particular.

Other than subscribers to the NFL network, only San Diego and Denver television markets were showing the game. But the incidents were replayed over and over by various cable football shows.I don't know the reason for Rivers behavior but it doesn't end with Cutler. Rivers fired off a tirade at his own fans after a loss in the '06 season in which he told the Charger fans to shut the **** up and grow up. Hmmm.

The word has been going around for a few years about the stadium issue between Charger ownership and the City of San Diego. The NFL, meanwhile, has told San Diego no more super bowls for them until a new stadium is built. That subject is controversy for another thread. The reason I bring it up here is San Diego was saddled with another qb with an attitude-Ryan Leaf. It set their program back for a time too!

I've heard Rivers downtalk other teams in other games but do not know that for a fact. Lots of talk on the field but that is where it should end. My own personal feeling is I'd like to see Cutler and Rivers in the ring for a few rounds.

Situations like this remind me of what the great Johnny Unitas would say over stuff like this-"Talk's cheap." And Rivers has been at it again, from what the Denver papers are saying. I've watched NFL games for decades and I have never seen behavior like this out of a quarterback, who is supposed to be your leader. But hey!; FREE SPEECH! Speak your mind, Phil! The division winner with the worst record (AFC West) will play the wild card winner, who could very well be Baltimore. You can bet your bottom dealer Ray Lewis and the Raven defense will be watching the game AND reading the San Diego Union, the Rocky Mountain News, and the Denver Post online to, uh, catch up on their notes!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-28-2008 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 PM

It's funny, I remember Rivers well when he played at NC State, and he was never this way. Everyone was saying what a mature individual he was. I remember listening to him on the NCSU radio network several times after games and I never recalled hearing him talk down of other teams and players.

I guess being around a bunch of trash-talk guys gets to you though.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:01 PM

What's sad is that none of this stuff matters or is necessary. Actions speak louder than words. As far as name calling goes, the Chargers are not in the position to be pointing fingers, with their defense ranked 10th in the AFC. That stat is underscored with Kansas City putting 34 on them recently. The Chiefs have won 2 games and the Chargers were damn lucky to win that game and they know that. Their defense reeks like Denver's and they know THAT. Pinhead behavior gets you in trouble down the road but they apparently do NOT know THAT!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-28-2008 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-28-2008, 05:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,470,052 times
Not sure what will hapen in tonights game...it could be pretty close but I hope the sneaky Broncos get their butts whipped! After watching MIami-NY Jets play is that the Dolphins are one boring team and its too bad they're going to the playoffs with their conservative dump-off passing...UUGGGHHH. I'd much rather see New England get in than Miami. At least New England throws the ball downfield and takes chances unlike the boring + conservative Dolphins. Miami's coach looks like a real dick complaining about every call!!

Last edited by rogercobb; 12-28-2008 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM

Excellent! We got in with a little luck on our side, I mean geez down 11 to the Cheifs and score 12 unanswered? win the last 4? Lets see where it takes us. Colts will be in San Diego for a rematch of last year and a few weeks earlier.
Go Chargers! And thanks for getting in the playoffs so I have a team to root for

Old 12-29-2008, 06:36 AM

I give the Chargers all the credit. They played their game, damn well at that. Denver has a lot of work to do. Fortunately there were no incidents on the field that I have been critical of on the other thread.The guy with the easiest job was their punter, I believe he only had to get off the bench, uh, one time.

Tomlinson and Sproles are the best tanden running backs in the league and they showed it last night. Cutler made some poor throws and it cost them. Denver was undermanned for sure, but they had some dog in them toward the end. San Diego finally put 60 minutes together and played the way they are capable of.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:37 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,790,124 times
Denver just didn't come ready to play. I feel horrible today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I give the Chargers all the credit. They played their game, damn well at that. Denver has a lot of work to do. Fortunately there were no incidents on the field that I have been critical of on the other thread.The guy with the easiest job was their punter, I believe he only had to get off the bench, uh, one time.

Tomlinson and Sproles are the best tanden running backs in the league and they showed it last night. Cutler made some poor throws and it cost them. Denver was undermanned for sure, but they had some dog in them toward the end. San Diego finally put 60 minutes together and played the way they are capable of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or