U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,878,283 times

Advertisements

... Commit serious thought and/or begin the development of a legit farm system, such as those for baseball and hockey.

The NFL is arguably the top domestic sports league from a financial standpoint (EPL has a few more valuable teams, but more small teams). But their talent stream is coming under strain in two ways:

1. Society is starting to realize that the NCAA is a cartel, and this Ed O'Bannon case might set a precedent against their "Strictly amateur" policy towards players.

2. Insurance costs associated with concussions could make it very difficult for players under 18.

It will give them a way to scout and develop players, without immediate pressure to perform or indulging the farce and facade of the "student athlete" model of player development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM

982 posts, read 1,447,211 times
Interesting, but what does the NFL get out of it? Talent is great and all. But I would argue that if two teams are filled with equally less talented players (which you're saying will happen in 5-10 or so years), you the viewer won't be able to tell the difference...with the big exception being the quarterback position and maybe a receiver.

But if an offensive line is bad and the defensive line they're playing against is equally bad, the game is competitive and you won't be able to tell the difference...and football goes on as usual.

All I'm saying is what is the incentive for the NFL, are you the viewer going to stop watching when you notice the talent level of players deterriorate? If games are still filled with drama, are you going to be able to turn away from the TV because today's QB's aren't as good as 10 years ago?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM

20,355 posts, read 20,541,636 times
there already is a farm system and it's probably the best of all the major sports' developmental leagues

Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 PM

3,836 posts, read 2,384,032 times
Wasnt a farm system somewhat of NFL Europe's purpose as well?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:30 AM

5,555 posts, read 3,832,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Wasnt a farm system somewhat of NFL Europe's purpose as well?
Yeah, I suppose you could say NFL Europe was a farm system as well. The USFL was probably considered somewhat of a farm system.

I guess what the OP is hoping for is much like what baseball does in cities and town across the country. In my neck of the woods, you have the "Greensboro Grasshoppers", and it's a really fun time going to see them play, even though I'm not normally a baseball fan. It would be neat to have something similar for football, although football would be competing with area high schools, college games on Saturday, NFL on Sundays, etc.... probably wouldn't work like what baseball does (seeing as how families are looking for something to do during the summer when the kids are out of school.)

Old 07-03-2014, 07:30 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,906,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
there already is a farm system and it's probably the best of all the major sports' developmental leagues

I agree.
There is no reason to change what is already in place.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:52 AM

2,224 posts, read 2,878,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I agree.
There is no reason to change what is already in place.
You all don't get it: there's a realistic chance the talent pipeline is going to change whether the NCAA/NFL like it or not. If they act now, they'll have a chance to have more input on player development in case insurance costs wipe out a lot of HS football teams, and college players unionize/demand compensation, and it affects the college game.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,906,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
there's a realistic chance the talent pipeline is going to change whether the NCAA/NFL like it or not.
They won't upheave what works because of "a realistic chance". The powers-that-be will see what happens, then adapt.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 PM

3,836 posts, read 2,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah, I suppose you could say NFL Europe was a farm system as well. The USFL was probably considered somewhat of a farm system.

I guess what the OP is hoping for is much like what baseball does in cities and town across the country. In my neck of the woods, you have the "Greensboro Grasshoppers", and it's a really fun time going to see them play, even though I'm not normally a baseball fan. It would be neat to have something similar for football, although football would be competing with area high schools, college games on Saturday, NFL on Sundays, etc.... probably wouldn't work like what baseball does (seeing as how families are looking for something to do during the summer when the kids are out of school.)
The USFL wasnt a farm system. They were trying to compete--which they failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football