Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 PM

26,689 posts, read 41,601,319 times

Advertisements

I don't have an opinion on Manziel. The middle finger was not cool, though I've had the same temptation whole lotta time. However, I think he deserves a chance to mature and develop. People gave Cam Newton the same garbage when he came onto the NFL scene. Three years later, he guided the Panthers to the playoffs and matured into a clutch leader. I'm not saying Manziel is gonna be great, I just think everyone should get off his case and give him a chance and time.

Will he guide Cleveland to anything? Probably not, moreso because the lack of consistency that organization has shown, mainly with three head coaches in three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,064,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
He plays in a division famous for smashmouth defenses, so he'd better cinch down that chinstrap and put on his big-boy jockstrap if he is going to last through a season or two.
Nailed it. He's got a heck of a lot of learning to do if he wants to compete with the men who have been there, done that and are not at all impressed that he's hanging with Justin Bieber.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:23 AM

9,447 posts, read 9,723,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
First a win is a win, and what did Johnny Boy do? Why so flustered at the end of the game? He is not ready to show anything except maybe some maturity.
And he better get on that quick. He is not going to a team with a long winning tradition as of late.
Pre-season wins don't tell you anything. If this was a regular season game with the first team during all four quarters, then you would have an argument.

Case in point, the Redskins won all four pre-season games last year...how did their regular season go? 3 - 13.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:28 AM

Manziel will sit on the bench for the first few games for Cleveland after the Browns named Hoyer as the starter today. If Hoyer flops, I can see JF starting after the 5th week bye. But I hope Hoyer does well, he deserves this.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Probably not, moreso because the lack of consistency that organization has shown, mainly with three head coaches in three years.
Teams can be turned around, just like the KC Chiefs did over the past three years. They had three head coaches in three years but got to a 11-5 record last year after 2-14. Sure Andy Reid is a more experienced HC than Pettine, but the Browns will improve. The AFC North is a tough division. While the Chiefs had to deal with the Broncos, the Raiders and Chargers haven't been that much of a challenge of late.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,947,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Teams can be turned around, just like the KC Chiefs did over the past three years. They had three head coaches in three years but got to a 11-5 record last year after 2-14. Sure Andy Reid is a more experienced HC than Pettine, but the Browns will improve. The AFC North is a tough division. While the Chiefs had to deal with the Broncos, the Raiders and Chargers haven't been that much of a challenge of late.

Yes with the way the NFL is set up, a team can certainly go from worst to first, or at least drastically improve. Which is why I remain optimistic that one day it will be the Browns turn. I'm hoping sooner rather than later. I cannot stomach another 4-12 or 5-11 season or getting swept by the Steelers!

Old 08-20-2014, 02:57 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,604,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Johnny Manziel is a controversial new quarterback in the NFL. People love him and they hate him. If Manziel becomes the starter for the Cleveland Browns, do you see him leading the team to Super Bowl victories in the future or is he overrated?
Are you fricking kidding me!! He won't lead any team to the Super Bowl!! He is nothing but a back-up QB who didn't take the time to learn NFL terminology or study film in the off season and is now nothing but a backup quarterback and considering everything, he should be happy to be that.

What made him good in college, will not translate over to the NFL. Defenses are bigger, stronger and faster.

And enough of the nickname he used to have that he never deserved.

He is now Johnny Backup.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:03 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,604,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again, a major, major dose of maturity is in order for that boy. I have a feeling he is going to get schooled this season, big time. At the moment, highly overrated and hyped.
I agree, he was better off staying in college, if he didn't get suspended first.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,678,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Johnny Manziel is a controversial new quarterback in the NFL. People love him and they hate him. If Manziel becomes the starter for the Cleveland Browns, do you see him leading the team to Super Bowl victories in the future or is he overrated?
Overrated douchebag. The only thing I see in his future might be the CFL.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 AM

As a long time Cleveland Browns fan, I was not one of the people to run out and buy a Manziel jersey for myself or my kids. I for one, didn't like they way he carried himself, his partying, etc... I don't want my kids to emulate that kind of behavior. And, even though JF denies it, that behavior is what caused him to play poorly and to not be the starter.

JF was "supposed" to be the starter at Washington, then after JF missed (or was late to) a team meeting, I think things went down hill. QB's are supposed to be leaders, and that is where JF falls short. He has great talent, but he will go nowhere unless he buckles down and takes the job seriously.

I do think that with the right mentorship and training, Johnny Football can lead a team to the promised land. First he needs to humble himself and start acting like a leader even at 21 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football