Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:03 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times

Advertisements

Musing about the Los Angeles Chargers - and their helmets - got me thinking about some of the great (and not-so-great) professional football helmets that are no longer seen on the field of play.

Cincinnati Bengals

Really? That's the best they could think of for over a decade?

Dallas Cowboys

The addition of the red stripe - to go with the white and blue - for the bicentennial of 1976 was a nice touch.

Denver Broncos

For some reason, for several seasons in the 1960s the Broncos went with a logo of an apparently intoxicated horse.

New England Patriots

Who can forget the ridiculous colonialist about to hike the football?

New Orleans Saints

This was only used during the preseason in 1969, but it's some pretty sharp headgear!

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

No comment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Ye Olde Thyme Patriots helmet is boss. They should go back to it full time.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Ye Olde Thyme Patriots helmet is boss. They should go back to it full time.
...why?

Old 08-25-2014, 11:36 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
love the Patriots and Bucs

Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times

I am one of what must be a very few who liked the Rams Blue and White helmet of the 60's They went to the yellow and blue in 73 and I was not a fan of that one so much.

I have an old Rams poster in the fun room, and the players are depicted in blue and white

Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Regarding Unsettomati's comments on the Cincinnati Bengals helmets.

That logo was decided by Paul Brown himself. Paul Brown's involvement with the Cleveland Browns- I believe most people are aware of here. Brown was pretty uncomfortable about having the team being named after him when the AAFC league cranked up in the late 1940's but reluctantly went along with it. When Art Modell became the owner he became a little bit more "hands on" than Paul Brown cared for. There were several things the two were at odds over and one (IMO) big thing-the situation regarding Ernie Davis. Shortly afterwards Paul Brown was fired, the first of a long series of goofs by Modell.

Just my opinion, but the Bengals uniforms were similar to Cleveland's. And the helmets certainly were similar. By having the team name spelled out on the helmet IMO told me that Paul Brown was mocking Cleveland. Paul Brown's Bengal franchise entered into the AFL in 1968 but Brown knew by charter he would be in the NFL as those negotiations for the two leagues to merge were going on the previous July. And Paul Brown was quoted as saying "I didn't pay 6 million dollars to join the American Football League."

During the merger talks the NFL owners went to the mat to figure out which 3 teams would be transferred to the AFC. The AFL had 8 charter teams and two expansion teams, totalling ten. The NFL had 13 teams. 3 teams had to go to the AFC to keep balance and it took a long time to get that settled. Finally commissioner Pete Rozelle said, "We're going to give $3 million dollars to each team that goes to the AFC. Baltimore Colt owner Carroll Rosenbloom immediately said ME! And with Pittsburgh and Cleveland joining the AFC and Houston transferring from the AFL's eastern division to AFC central, from the standpoint of logistics, it made perfect sense. And needless to say a Cinci/Cleveland rivalry would be in the making.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-26-2014 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Always loved the Buc's old helmets and the creamsicle orange uniforms.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

I am one of what must be a very few who liked the Rams Blue and White helmet of the 60's They went to the yellow and blue in 73 and I was not a fan of that one so much.

I have an old Rams poster in the fun room, and the players are depicted in blue and white

love the 2 colors, so simple like the Colts.

in that photo the blue looks darker than I've seen it before, wasn't it more of a royal blue and not navy-ish?

Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 PM

one of my biggest pet peeves is when a team has royal blue and then redesigns as navy blue b/c it's , I don't know, tougher or something.

many, many pro teams have done this thru the years.

lot's a teams that had yellow make that gold now too.

Rams
Brewers
=================
dark blue

Broncos
Patriots

Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
I liked the Pat's old helmet and the Ram's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football