U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:02 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,542,021 times

Advertisements

When Jim Harbaugh was pursued by the San Francisco 49ers, I withheld judgment. He was at Stanford, but so what? This didn't automatically make him the second coming of Bill Walsh. As a QB in the NFL, he wasn't nearly as great as Joe Montana. His arrival instantly turned the franchise around and suddenly, they were again better than the Green Bay Packers, a team who owned them for many years.

They went to the Superbowl, but unfortunately, Harbaugh was going up against his brother John. The Niners had a chance to win that game. All they had to do was go a few more yards, after successfully moving over 60 yards downfield in the drive. But Harbaugh and his brain trust could not devise a play or scheme to eek out those last few yards while in the red zone. Repeatedly, they attempt to pass to that overrated Michael Crabtree with predictable results. The Ravens won that game. I don't think Jim has ever beaten his brother John while they both coached in the NFL.

The next year, hopes were high. The Niners were considered one of the elite teams in this league, despite the presence of the Seahawks. The Seahawks were a better team, and it was inevitable that the Seahawks and Niners would meet in the NFC championship game. They did meet, and the Niners had a chance to win that game. Again, they had driven down field, only to enter the red zone. They only needed a few yards to score a touchdown and take the lead. Again, Jim Harbaugh and his brain trust could not devise a play or scheme to be successful. All season, they had shown that their red zone offense was anemic and unsuccessful. Here again, it appeared as though Harbaugh lack imagination and that his mind was as nimble as a slab of stone. Once again, the play featured pass attempts to that overrated Crabtree, with predictable results. The Seahawks won that game and went on to take the SB.

The Niners had the entire off season to make the necessary adjustments. Their offensive schemes are predictable, with Gore being given the ball up the middle far too much. The red zone offense is still atrocious. If the Niners can't score from outside the red zone, they either have to punt or kick a field goal. Why hasn't Harbaugh been able to make the necessary adjustments?

I don't think Jim Harbaugh is as smart, as intelligent, as creative as his brother John. He lacks imagination and he's stubborn as hell. He keeps trying the same damn thing, as if he thinks that it will eventually work if he keeps doing so. In the meantime, other teams adjust and prevail, which is what that Chicago Bears did last night. I'm starting to see a pattern with Harbaugh, and now I'm beginning to realize why he's on the hot seat.

I'd be interested in reading other perspectives on Jim Harbaugh. It's frustrating watching the Niners plod along when it appears on paper as though they are capable of doing much more. It appears as if the effectiveness of Jim Harbaugh has peaked. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 06:36 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,671,846 times
I disagree totally. He's an excellent coach, and as I personally think he comes off as arrogant as hell, I'd love him to coach my football team...

Who was the coach before him? Mike Singletary? They were awful back then...in-fighting..the whole nine yards.

He has a 41-14 regular season record. I'm not sure what else you can ask of the guy except maybe a trip to the superbowl.

I'm not surprised this post was made right after a terrible loss...

Old 09-15-2014, 06:44 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,195,846 times
Did you follow the Niners at all during the Nolan and Singletary years? Everything you're saying now are things I've heard newer Niner fans say this, without realizing how much of a dumpster fire the team was before.

Are all Niners fans this entitled? Please tell me they aren't

Old 09-15-2014, 07:08 PM

23,638 posts, read 33,429,727 times
Are you kidding me?

The 49ers were nothing more than a talented trainwreck before Harbaugh arrived. Since he has arrived the 49ers have been to a Superbowl and if Sherman misjudges that ball last year in the NFC title game they probably get a SB ring. He also squeezed 3 1100+ yard seasons out of a 30+ year old Frank Gore and saved Michael Crabtree from the NFL bust tree.

I think Harbaugh is an arrogant a-hole and frankly do not like the 49ers. But I cannot deny he is an excellent coach who my Panthers are going to have to figure out how to beat in order to get to Glendale this year.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,391,848 times
They couldn't do "much more". They made it to the Superbowl in 2013 and were considered by many as the second best NFL team last year. I know, just like 30 other NFL teams, they were losers, but they are and have been one of the best teams in the league since Harbaugh was hired.

The NFL is designed for parity -- so that all teams have an equal shot at being the best. The 49ers have been close to the top the past few years. Thank good coaching, good management and good ownership for that.

Some people would never be satisfied with the coaching unless their team has repeat perfect years. That's never happened yet. If it did, they'd gripe with a third year loss. THAT'S why he's on the hot seat.

Football is a game -- of strategy, of skill, power, speed and luck. (Footballs can take some odd bounces.) The best team isn't supposed to win every time. That's what makes it interesting. Count yourself lucky if you're a Niners fan.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
I think the 49ers are about to figure out whether or not Kaepernick is a legitimate top five QB in the NFL or not. If he is not, their run of dominance could be soon over. They have been about as good as you can get for the last three or four years. Think 90's Bills and early 2000 Eagles. The only teams that have been able to really stay truly dominant for more than a five year period have done so because they have had the best signal callers in the game.

The 49ers are entering year four of their run.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,465,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
When Jim Harbaugh was pursued by the San Francisco 49ers, I withheld judgment. He was at Stanford, but so what? This didn't automatically make him the second coming of Bill Walsh. As a QB in the NFL, he wasn't nearly as great as Joe Montana. His arrival instantly turned the franchise around and suddenly, they were again better than the Green Bay Packers, a team who owned them for many years.

They went to the Superbowl, but unfortunately, Harbaugh was going up against his brother John. The Niners had a chance to win that game. All they had to do was go a few more yards, after successfully moving over 60 yards downfield in the drive. But Harbaugh and his brain trust could not devise a play or scheme to eek out those last few yards while in the red zone. Repeatedly, they attempt to pass to that overrated Michael Crabtree with predictable results. The Ravens won that game. I don't think Jim has ever beaten his brother John while they both coached in the NFL.

The next year, hopes were high. The Niners were considered one of the elite teams in this league, despite the presence of the Seahawks. The Seahawks were a better team, and it was inevitable that the Seahawks and Niners would meet in the NFC championship game. They did meet, and the Niners had a chance to win that game. Again, they had driven down field, only to enter the red zone. They only needed a few yards to score a touchdown and take the lead. Again, Jim Harbaugh and his brain trust could not devise a play or scheme to be successful. All season, they had shown that their red zone offense was anemic and unsuccessful. Here again, it appeared as though Harbaugh lack imagination and that his mind was as nimble as a slab of stone. Once again, the play featured pass attempts to that overrated Crabtree, with predictable results. The Seahawks won that game and went on to take the SB.

The Niners had the entire off season to make the necessary adjustments. Their offensive schemes are predictable, with Gore being given the ball up the middle far too much. The red zone offense is still atrocious. If the Niners can't score from outside the red zone, they either have to punt or kick a field goal. Why hasn't Harbaugh been able to make the necessary adjustments?

I don't think Jim Harbaugh is as smart, as intelligent, as creative as his brother John. He lacks imagination and he's stubborn as hell. He keeps trying the same damn thing, as if he thinks that it will eventually work if he keeps doing so. In the meantime, other teams adjust and prevail, which is what that Chicago Bears did last night. I'm starting to see a pattern with Harbaugh, and now I'm beginning to realize why he's on the hot seat.

I'd be interested in reading other perspectives on Jim Harbaugh. It's frustrating watching the Niners plod along when it appears on paper as though they are capable of doing much more. It appears as if the effectiveness of Jim Harbaugh has peaked. What say you?
And they say Eagles fans are too hard on their team.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,671,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I think the 49ers are about to figure out whether or not Kaepernick is a legitimate top five QB in the NFL or not. If he is not, their run of dominance could be soon over. They have been about as good as you can get for the last three or four years. Think 90's Bills and early 2000 Eagles. The only teams that have been able to really stay truly dominant for more than a five year period have done so because they have had the best signal callers in the game.

The 49ers are entering year four of their run.
They've only had Kaepernick run the team for a full season once (last year).

He replaced Alex Smith (mid-season), and took them to the SuperBowl.

He was one pass away from going to the SuperBowl last year.

The guy is phenomenal IMO.

What more can people want from this guy?

When its all said and done, I see the niners continuing where they left off last year...

Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,405,522 times
I don't think it was Harbaugh's fault that a gimpy BMarshall caught 3 TDs.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,361,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
As a QB in the NFL, he wasn't nearly as great as Joe Montana.
Has anyone ever said he was and what does his career as a player have to do with his career as a coach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or