Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
That's interesting! I was born in 1989 - I didn't know!
Yeah they were a losing team pretty much from 1984 to 1987 and then in 1988 is when they turned the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Yeah they were a losing team pretty much from 1984 to 1987 and then in 1988 is when they turned the corner.
Hmm... interesting. Yeah, most people in my family aren't fan of anything Philadelphia. Well, nan (grandma) loved the Sixers... but she couldn't stand the other teams.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Nothing like a Redskins fan, a member of the most delusional fanbase in U.S. pro sports (it only took most Redskins fans and the DC media 15 years - from 1993 to 2009 - to realize the Redskins weren't a good team anymore), talking smack about Eagles fans. At least Philadelphia sports events aren't sometimes overrun by fans of the visiting team, as I've seen first-hand in DC.

At any rate, I currently live in the DC area (inside the Beltway; I also work within walking distance of Nationals Park), and there are tons of fans of other teams in this area, especially teams from the Northeast and Midwest (mostly due to transplants). What's particularly interesting though are the seemingly high percentage of Cowboys fans who live in the DC area who are originally from the DC area. In particular, it seems like there a lot of African-American/black people native to the DC area who are Cowboys fans. There are a decent number of Cowboys fans who are from eastern Pennsylvania, but in percentage terms I think it is a lower number than the number of Cowboys fans who live in the DC area. That has always seemed strange to me. I mean, I could understand people, especially black people, not wanting to root for the Redskins when George Preston Marshall owned the team and refused to integrate the team for many years after all other teams integrated, but the Cowboys weren't a good team until after Marshall was forced to integrate the team in 1962 and the team started having African-American stars (such as Bobby Mitchell and Charley Taylor).
Jerry Jones has said that DC is the market where he sells the most merchandise outside Texas. Before I came up here in 05, I knew there were many of us here. But I was wowed when I actually saw it living it.

I'm kinda surprise about philly having lots of Cowboy fans. Though Giants would be second.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:25 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
The D.C. area has quite a few Cowboys fans. Doubt that there is an inordinate amount of Texans living here. They just don't like the Redskins. It has nothing to do with the name or the current owner. Tons of Cowboys fans in the area have been around for decades. I remember riding the subway if someone steps on wearing Cowboys gear taunting has occurred. Best advice to tourists: leave your Cowboys gear at home if you plan to take public transportation with locals while visiting the nations capital on your summer vacation. It can get out of hand. Awhile back someone's car was trashed that had cowboys stickers on it. Not cool.
Lol. It's not nearly that bad. Most Cowboy and redskin fans are family members, coworkers, and friends. I wear my Cowboys gear all the time I'm DC and nothing happens.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times
My mom is a funny case. She grew up in Connecticut and moved to Massachusetts long before I was born. She's a Packers fan! The reason? When she was a kid growing up in CT, there were no Patriots, so her brother rooted for the Giants. Then, just to annoy him she would root for the Packers. Years later she still tries to watch Packers game when the're on.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:39 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
It's a good topic. When I was a wee tyke, the Yankees and Dolphins were all the rage and I had a hat for each. But they weren't local teams and after you hit a certain age, you grow out of the fad and band wagon mentality. I did, early. Some don't. My dad liked the Yankees and made the trip to NYC many times to watch them. But he was a Phillies fan first, albeit a frustrated one. Same for the Eagles and Penn state. He liked to see good playing and good players, it wasn't the championships that he cared about.
I look at local fans in SE Pa and which teams they gravitate to. I can only make some general characterizations, but they have enough truth to justify them.
Yankees fans in Pa. This is by far about image, not so much their record but that they're from NYC. NYC is what posers want to pretend they're all about, its laughable. Actual baseball fans have a few Mets fans mixed in. Oddballs or people actually from NYC. I think they( real New Yorkers) get irked by the Yankee fan base and try to be discriminating so they chose the Mets.
Steelers fans. These have their share of people with self esteem issues. If the Eagles had a few championships and the Steelers a few less, there'd abandon the Steelers in a heartbeat. But the Steelers do have a broad national appeal to working class blue collar folks so you have to respect that. Some Steelers fans just hate Philly and that decides their team loyalty. I'm an Eagles and Phillies fan who doesn't care about Philly and what goes on there. They also seem to hate the Eagles more than Eagles fans hate the Steelers. I don't think many Eagles fans hate the Steelers, really.
Cowboys fans. These are a differing mix. A good, good many are stunted maturity wise and to them its all the band wagon mind set. That's been eroding with each successive year the Cowboys have gone trophy less and now its harder and harder to see anybody wearing Cowboys gear. They might wear it after a big win but that's getting rarer. I think most have backup gear from other teams. But they have some country types, folks who are basically misplaced western wannabes who wished they were out west and they chose the Cowboys as a symbol. Kind of sad in a way, but nothing to laugh at. Country music, pickups, Dallas Cowboys. Its a legit lifestyle.
Patriots fans. These are an unpleasant mix of the bandwagoners and the unsocial oddballs. They seem to just have have social issues. Or they're kids who just want to idol worship Brady and the wins. They take losses hard and its fun to taunt them but they almost all have anger issues. As Eagles fans we're used to dishing it out and taking it so its just fun for us. But Patriots fans, they get uptight.
Redskins fans. They seem to attract an urban hipster type but there are really so few around they are harder to classify. Its an odd situation now with the ridiculous flap over their name. It won't help their fan base.
Giants fans. The Giants gained in popularity and we have enough ex New Jerseyans and bandwagoners that they increased in number. They're not as bad as Patriot fans. They hate the Cowboys and Patriots so that's in their favor.
Jets fans. They get laughed at since they are somebody who's trying to pull off a thug persona. Pick a team that isn't such a mess, guys. But again its a NYC image thing.
Green Bay Packers fans. Its hard to give these people a hard time. Green Bay has a fan base similar to The Eagles. Loyal, maybe less rowdy, blue collar, many rural. They seem pretty down to earth and don't have issues.
The rest: not really enough to mention. I do see some Pittsburgh Pirates, Chicago Bulls, Miami Heat and LA Lakers gear but its always worn by posers trying for an image. You just laugh at them.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:53 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Lot of transplants in Charlotte so naturally it's not uncommon to see people sporting their fandom of teams like the Steelers, Packers, Giants, Patriots, Bears, etc. Still some Redskins holdovers from back in the day when the Panthers were not in existence. The Cowboys have a lot of fans here too.

Supposedly one of the oldest and largest Patriots fan clubs outside New England meets in Raleigh, another city with a large number of transplants, every Sunday.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:56 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
New York is my closest big city with Sports team. Only team I like there are the Islanders and the Yankees when they aren't playing the Blue Jays or Nationals.
HATE the Jets, & Devils, have a dislike for the Giants but not nearly as much as the Jets, probably because Tom Caughlin isn't brunt and a pompous jerk like Rex Ryan is even when he won 2 super bowls, & Rangers.
Met's are pretty much invisible. As a Nats fan I should hate them, but why hate a team that has completely sucked for 6 years??

Old 10-02-2014, 04:49 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
New York is my closest big city with Sports team. Only team I like there are the Islanders and the Yankees when they aren't playing the Blue Jays or Nationals.
HATE the Jets, & Devils, have a dislike for the Giants but not nearly as much as the Jets, probably because Tom Caughlin isn't brunt and a pompous jerk like Rex Ryan is even when he won 2 super bowls, & Rangers.
Met's are pretty much invisible. As a Nats fan I should hate them, but why hate a team that has completely sucked for 6 years??
Haha, good point. That's interesting - one of the Blue Jays players followed me on Twitter. I was shocked because I'm not a fan of that team. I think his name is Bautista.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Nothing I loathe more than a bandwagon Packer fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football