Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,858,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Is he really that much worse than Gabbert in Jacksonville or probably Fitzpatrick in Houston now that Mallet's done for the year?? maybe a change of scenery will help him too.

But expectations were higher for him after since he was the 2nd pick in the 1st round. Not only that he took the team to the playoffs and has not looked the same since
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 12:55 AM

6,373 posts, read 11,824,422 times
Coaching change did him in. If he ends up in Philly he could resurrect his career, a coach and a system made for him in a place that will be looking for a better QB next year. Of course doubt they have any interest in him landing with a division rival.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:21 AM

3,659 posts, read 2,492,523 times
In my opinion, Griffin's skill set was grossly over-rated for the NFL game.
But with that said, I think he should've been given the chance to finish the season. With the $ invested, and the season lost anyways.. it's a good scenario to further evaluate his potential progress.

If nothing else, if Griffin continued to struggle.. it would make it an easier sell to replace him next season. It kills me how quickly & prematurely some fans and corporate sponsors were to coronate RG3 the next Tom Brady.. and now how rapidly they want him replaced. It takes time to develop as an NFL quarterback. I think that reality is lost on the face-painted, light beer swilling, thug-worshipping fans of today (?)

Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,858,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
But with that said, I think he should've been given the chance to finish the season. With the $ invested, and the season lost anyways.. it's a good scenario to further evaluate his potential progress.

If nothing else, if Griffin continued to struggle.. it would make it an easier sell to replace him next season. It kills me how quickly & prematurely some fans and corporate sponsors were to coronate RG3 the next Tom Brady.. and now how rapidly they want him replaced. It takes time to develop as an NFL quarterback. I think that reality is lost on the face-painted, light beer swilling, thug-worshipping fans of today (?)

In his last 18 starts he has only won 4 games. Now if Mccoy goes out there and win vs the Colts that will confirm that rg3 is not that good

Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,582,219 times
RGIII, the dilemma. What to do... what to do...

Old 11-26-2014, 08:55 AM

45,321 posts, read 26,891,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post

I agree about giving him more time - however, the probable result is that Gruden loses the team while waiting to see if Griffin can get his act together.

It's a tough balancing act.

-----------------------------------

Here's a factor that is below the radar... Redskins former offense coordinator Kyle Shanahan tailored the offense for Griffin in 2012 towards a read option style. However, after getting hurt, Griffin wanted to run a normal NFL offense. Griffin has been in the tank since.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 11-26-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,907,768 times
Greg Robinson is the final piece of the Robert Griffin III trade | ProFootballTalk

Of course other teams (including Washington's) results will vary, but here is what St Louis coddled together for the #2 pick traded so Washington could take RG III...

Michael Brockers DT (2012 #14 pick) PFWA all-rookie 2012 team, started 39 of 45 career games. 93 career tackles/11.5 career sacks.

Isaiah Pead RB (2012 #50 pick) 75 career rushing yards, torn ACL: waived from 53 man roster in August of 2014

Rokevious Watkins OG (2012 #150 pick) career 4 games played, 1 game started.
(from wiki): As a rookie, Watkins reported to camp overweight and out of shape and was held out of practice for the first several days of practice. He played in one game in 2012, the season opener in Detroit, before being put in injured reserve. Released after reporting to training camp overweight for the second consecutive season. On August 3, 2013, Watkins was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs. Watkins was released on July 28, 2014.

Alec Ogletree OLB (2013 #30 pick) PFWA all-rookie 2013 team. 157 career tackles, started 27 of 27 career games.

Stedman Bailey WR (2013 #92 pick) career 22 receptions, career highs 7 for 89 last week.

Zac Stacy RB (2013 #160) 983 yds in 2013, not played since week 8.

Greg Robinson OT (2014 #2 pick) 10 GP, 6 starts

Old 11-26-2014, 09:47 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,937,574 times
You could see it last week as he played, he has no confidence. He is a broken man at this point, mentally and physically. At this point you try to trade him and see what you can get, but I'm not too sure he has much of a future in the NFL.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:12 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,078,825 times
I think its more mental with RG3 than physical. Sure, the knee injury might've slowed him down some, but when he's out there on the field, he looks confused. In 2012, he looked comfortable and relaxed.

hell, RG3 led the NFL in completion percentage from weeks 1 through 13 before Peyton Manning took over. RG3 was accurate, his deep ball was insanely accurate, and he knew how to avoid pressure. he's done a complete 180 the last few years, and its sad to watch.

A lot of people outside of Redskins nation who don't see the team day to day on TV interviews and such think he has an enormous ego and is selfish. yes, the guy does have a big ego...but I believe people sometimes mistake his confidence for arrogance. RG3 has a will to win inside him like you don't see very often.

Too bad, because with the right coach and an competent offensive line, he could've been good.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,752,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not a good idea. With as much as they have invested in him, they need to play him to see if there is anything there. They aren't going to the playoffs...

UNLESS they have made their decision already to move on.
The Sunk Costs Fallacy; or, 'throwing good money after bad'.

Quote:
In economics, a sunk cost is any past cost that has already been paid and cannot be recovered. For example, a business may have invested a million dollars into new hardware. This money is now gone and cannot be recovered, so it shouldn’t figure into the business’s decision making process.
How the Sunk Cost Fallacy Makes You Act Stupid

The same principle when a business decides whether or not to start quarterback A or B. Starting quarterback A because he makes more money, or because the coaching staff has put in more time with him, or for any matter related to the relative amounts of anything invested in the two quarterbacks, is illogical.

I'm not saying McCoy should start. I'm merely pointing out that starting Griffin simply because of the resources the Washington Redskins have irrevocably poured into him should have absolutely no bearing on the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football