U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:09 AM

57 posts, read 168,102 times

Advertisements

ha, im a huge steelers fan, but id say mike tomlin, he brought his team to the playoffs his first year coaching, which includes building up from a bad year last season, and he got both willie parker and ben roethlisberger having great years, big ben had 32 touchdown passes and a career high QB rating of 104, which is second best this season under tom brady, and willie parker had the leagues highest rushing yards untill he got injured... but i really do think that tomlin is a great coach and is doing much, much better than anyother rookie headcoach, ((bobby petrino)), now that guy sucked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,125,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
so if your team went 16-0 and didn't win the Superbowl it would mean nothing, too?
No, it wouldn't. Who would want to be known as the team that went undefeated in the regular season but couldn't win when it really mattered?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:38 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,125,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy924 View Post
ha, im a huge steelers fan, but id say mike tomlin, he brought his team to the playoffs his first year coaching, which includes building up from a bad year last season, and he got both willie parker and ben roethlisberger having great years, big ben had 32 touchdown passes and a career high QB rating of 104, which is second best this season under tom brady, and willie parker had the leagues highest rushing yards untill he got injured... but i really do think that tomlin is a great coach and is doing much, much better than anyother rookie headcoach, ((bobby petrino)), now that guy sucked
My problem with Belichick's selection isn't that he was caught cheating, but that he had a team that was expected to win 14 games anyway. I'm putting on my Packers homer hat, but I think considering that no one expected his team to win more than 8 games before the season, and how little respect the Packers have gotten from the national media all season, he clearly did more with "less" than any other coach. Favre was supposedly washed up but McCarthy has him flying right again. He won games early in the season with a team that had no offensive identity and no running game to speak of.

That said- there were a lot of worthy candidates this year- Fisher, Tomlin, Crennel, and Gibbs come off the top of my head- and a good case could have been made for all of them, too.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 AM

16,532 posts, read 20,991,509 times
He might be a jagoff but he is an undefeated one. VaFury you have valid points! I remember when Belechick appeared on the Tonight maybe a week after the last super bowl win. Jay Leno had as much success pulling hens teeth as he was trying to get Belechick to open up. Some people just have a sullen personality and he is one of them. If memory serves the media had fun with that interview. IMHO at that point he became more standoffish than ever.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 AM

528 posts, read 2,232,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
No, it wouldn't. Who would want to be known as the team that went undefeated in the regular season but couldn't win when it really mattered?
they've won when it mattered 16 times so far this season....and no other team has ever been able to duplicate that (and probably won't for a long time). If you don't think that's impressive and memorable, then I can't imagine what is.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:58 AM

16,532 posts, read 20,991,509 times
I think most of the coaches in the league were scratching their heads over the filming issue. Why the Jets, of all clubs-sheessh look at their record! Was he guilty? Yea. Do I condone that behavior? NO. But IMHO the writers had to come to grips with the fact that 16 and 0 is one heck of an accomplishment despite all the BS that happened and had to vote that way. mb919 is right; there are some great candidates for this award.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,675,976 times
I guess if I had another favorite team other then the Pats I might hate the guy too. Im a Patriots fan from way way way back even when they sucked all those years. We finally have something to shout for the past 6-8 years.

I can remember hating Tom Landry because he like Belicheck would never even crack a half smile. If he did all his skin would crack, just like Belicheck. And that silly little fruity feather he would stick into his hat........

I look at Belicheck crooked too but Im glad he is on my side and not yours.

If you are judging him on his character and the puss on his face then you are judging another human being based on his looks and/or character. We know that is wrong, especially to the bible thumpers.

Are you haters instead judging him on his ability as a coach? If so then you are more jealous then you will admit.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:01 PM

168 posts, read 449,160 times
not a Pats fan, but still think he deserves the award. If anyone thinks that every other team in the league is not involved in some form of "cheating", they are sadly mistaken.
Stop crying. There are more important things.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:48 PM

511 posts, read 2,287,618 times
Yea I guarantee there are other teams cheating but they got caught!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:42 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,895,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Are you haters instead judging him on his ability as a coach? If so then you are more jealous then you will admit.
Nope, I'm judging him from his rediculous attitude or whatever the heck it was after they defeated Indy and he walks right by Dungy without saying a word... Again, you have a problem with Dungy then you are most likely the one with the problem.... I'll ask again. Anyone know what that's all about???

Oh, and no I'm not an Indy fan.... Just witnessed that classless maneuver after that game and really have detested Bellichick ever since..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football