U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which coaches do you think are the worst?
Lovie Smith 4 8.89%
Jim Schwartz 6 13.33%
Lou Holtz 1 2.22%
Chan Gailey 3 6.67%
Cam Cameron 4 8.89%
Ken Wisenhunt 4 8.89%
Marc Trestman 2 4.44%
Marvin Lewis 3 6.67%
Les Steckel 5 11.11%
Brad Childress 2 4.44%
Rob Chudzinski 2 4.44%
Rich Kotite 7 15.56%
Joe Philbon 4 8.89%
Chip Kelly 4 8.89%
Rod Marinelli 1 2.22%
Norv Turner 5 11.11%
Raheem Morris 1 2.22%
Jason Garrett 2 4.44%
Rex Ryan 3 6.67%
Bobby Petrino 6 13.33%
Jeff Fisher 3 6.67%
Bill Peterson 1 2.22%
Butch Davis 2 4.44%
Eric Mangini 4 8.89%
Nick Saban 3 6.67%
Mike Shanahan 4 8.89%
Tony Sparano 3 6.67%
Dennis Allen 2 4.44%
Greg Schiano 4 8.89%
Tom Cable 4 8.89%
Ray Rhodes 2 4.44%
Josh McDaniels 9 20.00%
Jim Caldwell 1 2.22%
Jim Tomsula 9 20.00%
Jim L. Mora 3 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:45 AM

2,669 posts, read 1,980,577 times

Advertisements

Mike Shanahan is one of the most over-rated Coaches.
Sure, he won two Superbowls, but he actually won them with the team that Dan Reeves spent years building.
He does get credit for drafting TD, who capped the team and made all the difference, but that was he lone contribution, in my not-so-humble opinion.
As for Kubiak, his test will be the next couple of "Post Manning" years. Can he build the Broncos back up after Manning retires? Time will tell.

Josh McDaniels - 'nuff said

Wade Phillips - A terrific D Coach. I love his defenses. But as head coach, well..., He is a terrific Defensive Coordinator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 11:24 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,947,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
He's already lasted about 4 years longer then I thought he would. And it sounds like Jerry loves him too, as long as Jerry likes him, he's going to keep sinking the Cowboys.
As long as Jones is involved in the Cowboys' football operations, Garrett is not going anywhere and the Cowboys will continue to lose.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:51 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,260,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
As long as Jones is involved in the Cowboys' football operations, Garrett is not going anywhere and the Cowboys will continue to lose.
I agree and this is probably why the Cowboys can't find ways to win games. As I said earlier Garrett may not last any longer with the team.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:33 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,260,219 times
Dick Jauron for Buffalo was pretty bad. Gus Bradley for Jacksonville is absolutely awful. Some of the other coaches that still haven't been mentioned that I will add include Dave Wannstent, Dick MacPherson, John North, John McKay, Bill Arnsparger, Gregg Williams along with other Buffalo Bills head coaches even before him (because there's reasons why the Bills haven't made the playoffs in years since their last playoff appearance was the Music City Miracle at Tennessee), Darryl Rogers, and even some Detroit Lions coaches before Jim Schwartz and Rod Marinelli (such as Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci, Dick Jauron, etc.)

Old 12-21-2015, 06:20 PM

373 posts, read 265,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Jason Garrett...just doesn't have much situational awareness, doesn't make adjustments and seems to be mediocre to below average in game planning. I would rather he go back to O coordinator and Jerry hire a good head coach who can deliver and a real GM.
His vanilla offense is way too predictable. I call the play out before the snap and I am not kidding. My father asked me how I knew the plays. I said well Garrett is not a creative coach.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:58 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
His vanilla offense is way too predictable. I call the play out before the snap and I am not kidding. My father asked me how I knew the plays. I said well Garrett is not a creative coach.
Why aren't you coaching the Cowboys.. you seem to be smarter..

Old 12-22-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Why aren't you coaching the Cowboys.. you seem to be smarter..
I would make a better GM. Players like Tyrann Mathieu & Stefon Diggs would be in Dallas. Morris Claiborne would of never been drafted.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:13 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
As far as Mathieu goes, its damned if you do damned if you don't... Jerry would have been skewered for drafting Mathieu like he has been for signing Hardy and the likes of Pacman.. perhaps its his free agent signings that are his downfall, but that's another story.

Diggs has been absent for 2 months in Minnesota.. he awoke this past weekend but hell I remember, Kevin Williams catching 2 TD passes in a game once and no one remembers him now.. So I think the jury is still out on him... I think drafting is not Jerry's issue...I can think of 20 or more worse (drafting) GMs than jerry... I think he has given those reigns up somewhat... Besides, the Cowboys were praised for drafting Clairborne just like they were for drafting Bobby Carpernter a few years before and I think that was Bill Parcels pick... the point is, the draft is still a lottery of sorts, you never really know what you will get. its not like Claiborne was a 2nd round talent or anything like that, had the Cowboys not moved up to get him, he would have been gone the next pick to another team/GM who would have been question now for drafting him as if no other team would touch him until may be the 5th round.. ? The real magic in the draft is rounds 4-7... if you can consistently get players that stick around from those picks, your a good draft team..

Jerry's issue is his overall control of the team and coaches.. especially coaches. But like his drafting days, that will eventually wane and we will see how much Stephen likes to meddle.. my guess is it will be less than jerry... time will tell.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
As far as Mathieu goes, its damned if you do damned if you don't... Jerry would have been skewered for drafting Mathieu like he has been for signing Hardy and the likes of Pacman.. perhaps its his free agent signings that are his downfall, but that's another story.

Diggs has been absent for 2 months in Minnesota.. he awoke this past weekend but hell I remember, Kevin Williams catching 2 TD passes in a game once and no one remembers him now.. So I think the jury is still out on him... I think drafting is not Jerry's issue...I can think of 20 or more worse (drafting) GMs than jerry... I think he has given those reigns up somewhat... Besides, the Cowboys were praised for drafting Clairborne just like they were for drafting Bobby Carpernter a few years before and I think that was Bill Parcels pick... the point is, the draft is still a lottery of sorts, you never really know what you will get. its not like Claiborne was a 2nd round talent or anything like that, had the Cowboys not moved up to get him, he would have been gone the next pick to another team/GM who would have been question now for drafting him as if no other team would touch him until may be the 5th round.. ? The real magic in the draft is rounds 4-7... if you can consistently get players that stick around from those picks, your a good draft team..

Jerry's issue is his overall control of the team and coaches.. especially coaches. But like his drafting days, that will eventually wane and we will see how much Stephen likes to meddle.. my guess is it will be less than jerry... time will tell.
Awwee the 2006 rich draft. I followed that draft a great deal. Don't remind me of the Carpenter pick. We needed a safety to replace Woodson. That has been a common theme for a decade. We needed a cornerback in Cromartie. He had the miserables but, most important he had the FILM. Stupid Parcells drafting a linebacker just because of the relationship with Barbies father. His film at Ohio did not show him making plays at all. Whitner and Hawk made plays on defense. I was so disgusted with that pick. Personally I wanted them to trade up for Nagta or Whitner, their film looked awesome. Deangelo Williams film looked great too. Felix Jones was another first round bust and was clearly not the best player available. Arkansas blindness got him. The 2005 draft knowing we had just Drew Bledsoe at QB with two first round picks we get Spears over Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers film looked great. Jerry has been a huge problem at GM. The draft scouts are a huge problem. If the player does not make plays in college he ain't making plays at the next level.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 AM

16,527 posts, read 20,977,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Mike Shanahan is one of the most over-rated Coaches.
Sure, he won two Superbowls, but he actually won them with the team that Dan Reeves spent years building.
He does get credit for drafting TD, who capped the team and made all the difference, but that was he lone contribution, in my not-so-humble opinion.
As for Kubiak, his test will be the next couple of "Post Manning" years. Can he build the Broncos back up after Manning retires? Time will tell.

Josh McDaniels - 'nuff said

Wade Phillips - A terrific D Coach. I love his defenses. But as head coach, well..., He is a terrific Defensive Coordinator.
I remember when Wade was hired, in his press conference he said "I'm a lousy head coach but I'm a pretty good defensive coordinator."

Reeves did a good job getting the Broncos back to the playoffs 7 out of the 12 years he was head coach. Of course, Elway had a lot to do with that. IIRC Dan is one on a very short list of coaches to coach three different clubs to the conference playoffs and two clubs to Super Bowls. It was sad that there was so much friction between Reeves and Elway.

Regarding Shanahan, he was able to pick up a lot of players through free agency and trades that began that Super Bowl run and also give Denver that 13-3 record in the 1996 season. Those players would be Alfred Williams, Neil Smith, Darrien Gordon, Bill Romanowski, Glen Cadrez, Ray Crockett, Gary Zimmerman, Mark Schlereth, Tony Jones, Harry Swaine, Howard Griffith, Eddie McCaffrey, Willie Green, Seth Joyner, and I'm sure there were a few others. Those players were a perfect fit. After those super bowls other players were signed that it was evident that their best days were behind them but at least they gave effort, such as Chester McGlockton and Leon Lett. Then there are other players who were problems after one season and were shown the door after one season-players such as Daryle Gardner and Dale Carter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football