U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which coaches do you think are the worst?
Lovie Smith 4 8.89%
Jim Schwartz 6 13.33%
Lou Holtz 1 2.22%
Chan Gailey 3 6.67%
Cam Cameron 4 8.89%
Ken Wisenhunt 4 8.89%
Marc Trestman 2 4.44%
Marvin Lewis 3 6.67%
Les Steckel 5 11.11%
Brad Childress 2 4.44%
Rob Chudzinski 2 4.44%
Rich Kotite 7 15.56%
Joe Philbon 4 8.89%
Chip Kelly 4 8.89%
Rod Marinelli 1 2.22%
Norv Turner 5 11.11%
Raheem Morris 1 2.22%
Jason Garrett 2 4.44%
Rex Ryan 3 6.67%
Bobby Petrino 6 13.33%
Jeff Fisher 3 6.67%
Bill Peterson 1 2.22%
Butch Davis 2 4.44%
Eric Mangini 4 8.89%
Nick Saban 3 6.67%
Mike Shanahan 4 8.89%
Tony Sparano 3 6.67%
Dennis Allen 2 4.44%
Greg Schiano 4 8.89%
Tom Cable 4 8.89%
Ray Rhodes 2 4.44%
Josh McDaniels 9 20.00%
Jim Caldwell 1 2.22%
Jim Tomsula 9 20.00%
Jim L. Mora 3 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:26 AM

4,325 posts, read 2,266,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I remember when Wade was hired, in his press conference he said "I'm a lousy head coach but I'm a pretty good defensive coordinator."

Reeves did a good job getting the Broncos back to the playoffs 7 out of the 12 years he was head coach. Of course, Elway had a lot to do with that. IIRC Dan is one on a very short list of coaches to coach three different clubs to the conference playoffs and two clubs to Super Bowls. It was sad that there was so much friction between Reeves and Elway.

Regarding Shanahan, he was able to pick up a lot of players through free agency and trades that began that Super Bowl run and also give Denver that 13-3 record in the 1996 season. Those players would be Alfred Williams, Neil Smith, Darrien Gordon, Bill Romanowski, Glen Cadrez, Ray Crockett, Gary Zimmerman, Mark Schlereth, Tony Jones, Harry Swaine, Howard Griffith, Eddie McCaffrey, Willie Green, Seth Joyner, and I'm sure there were a few others. Those players were a perfect fit. After those super bowls other players were signed that it was evident that their best days were behind them but at least they gave effort, such as Chester McGlockton and Leon Lett. Then there are other players who were problems after one season and were shown the door after one season-players such as Daryle Gardner and Dale Carter.
Mike Shanahan ruined the Redskins. He's definitely on this list. I remember when he benched RGIII for the season John Madden referred to it as a "baloney". As for McDaniels he's in the second stint as offensive coordinator for Belichick in New England after two terrible seasons in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I will agree on head coaches already mentioned: Lou Holtz, Jim Schwartz and Rob Chudzinski.

Chudzinski could have done a lot more as the offensive coordinator with the Carolina Panthers. The offense during the 2012 season underachieved. Chudzinski was hired out to be the Browns' head coach. Three of his assistants at Carolina were terminated. Chudzinski was not able to change the culture at Cleveland, and was terminated after one season.
Chudzinski previously served as the Browns' offensive coordinator and was their tight end coach for one season in 2004.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:41 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,119,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Mike Shanahan ruined the Redskins. He's definitely on this list. I remember when he benched RGIII for the season John Madden referred to it as a "baloney". As for McDaniels he's in the second stint as offensive coordinator for Belichick in New England after two terrible seasons in Denver.
Benching RG3 wasn't a stupid move. Well.. Pending on how you look at it. Had he left him in and Griffin was hurt badly.. He had to put Cousins in and let him develop.. Shanahan might still be the coach in Washington.

But, he was screwed with RG3. He had management that said he was going to be the QB. They let him sit him for those final 3 games because they were out of contention and I think they wanted to keep Shanahan. It just made sense on a variety of levels to shut him down.

There haven't been a whole lot of 'bad' Redskins coaches. Jim Zorn was a bad hire. He was hired as OC then all of a sudden "You're the HC". He didn't do well as the HC, but.. He should never have been hired.

Richie Pettibon who was a one and done after Gibbs left.. Not a bad HC, either.. He inherited an aging team that was decimated by injuries.

Norv Turner.. Hmm.. I'd have to say bad in the sense that he was a horrible leader. Offensively.. He was great. He hired good coaches under him.. But, he was not a leader. That was seen later on at Oakland and San Diego. He's a guy that should just stick to being OC.

Schottenheimer.. Again, put the blame on management, there.

Spurrier.. Now he was a bad HC.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:53 AM

4,891 posts, read 3,982,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Mike Shanahan is an example of a Tom Landry or a Joe Gibbs who were once great coaches, but never changed with the game.

The worst I have seen in recent memory are Cam Cameron and Chan Galey. Both are good as assistant or specialty coaches, but not as head coaches.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Mike Shanahan is an example of a Tom Landry or a Joe Gibbs who were once great coaches, but never changed with the game.

The worst I have seen in recent memory are Cam Cameron and Chan Galey. Both are good as assistant or specialty coaches, but not as head coaches.
I guess that's true about Shanahan because I know Shanahan was great in Denver but not in Washington. At least Cam Cameron didn't go 0-16 as Rod Marinelli did.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:54 PM

The Eagles just fired Chip Kelly. He is replaced by Pat Shurmur. But I think you have to question why fire a coach with one game left in the regular season.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:35 PM

I think the Browns will fire Mike Pettine after the season and the 49ers will likely to fire Jim Tomsula. Both coaches are awful and chances are both teams are interested in picking up Chip Kelly.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 PM

Now I found out the Browns fired both Pettine and GM Ray Farmer after the game.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:43 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,434,406 times
Tomsula is gone. Good Riddance. Now, can Jed York fire himself, please?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Both Chip Kelly and Mike Shanahan are interested in becoming head coach for the 49ers since Tomsula is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football