U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which coaches do you think are the worst?
Lovie Smith 4 8.89%
Jim Schwartz 6 13.33%
Lou Holtz 1 2.22%
Chan Gailey 3 6.67%
Cam Cameron 4 8.89%
Ken Wisenhunt 4 8.89%
Marc Trestman 2 4.44%
Marvin Lewis 3 6.67%
Les Steckel 5 11.11%
Brad Childress 2 4.44%
Rob Chudzinski 2 4.44%
Rich Kotite 7 15.56%
Joe Philbon 4 8.89%
Chip Kelly 4 8.89%
Rod Marinelli 1 2.22%
Norv Turner 5 11.11%
Raheem Morris 1 2.22%
Jason Garrett 2 4.44%
Rex Ryan 3 6.67%
Bobby Petrino 6 13.33%
Jeff Fisher 3 6.67%
Bill Peterson 1 2.22%
Butch Davis 2 4.44%
Eric Mangini 4 8.89%
Nick Saban 3 6.67%
Mike Shanahan 4 8.89%
Tony Sparano 3 6.67%
Dennis Allen 2 4.44%
Greg Schiano 4 8.89%
Tom Cable 4 8.89%
Ray Rhodes 2 4.44%
Josh McDaniels 9 20.00%
Jim Caldwell 1 2.22%
Jim Tomsula 9 20.00%
Jim L. Mora 3 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:24 AM

4,325 posts, read 2,271,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
A few words on Lou Saban.

It would be easy to carp on Saban regarding his coaching record with Denver. He coached Denver from 1967 to the 6th game in the 1971 season. And he finished with a 20-42-2 record. But if it wasn't for Lou Saban Denver would have lost their franchise. Fact. More on that in a bit.

After a 4-9-1 record with the Boston Patriots in the Patriots (and the AFL's) first season. He brought 4 consecutive winning seasons to Buffalo from 1962 to 1965. He was in the playoffs for three of those years and won the AFL Championship in 1964 and 1965. He left Buffalo in 1966 and coached a year with the Univ. of Maryland. His four year record with Buffalo was 36-17-3.

He came back to Buffalo in 1972 and coached the Bills again from 1972 to the 5th game of the 1976 season. From 1967 to 1971 Buffalo had hit rock bottom. All of Saban's old players had long since retired, the Bills were horribly coached, and Saban's record in those 5 years was 32-28-1. He got the Bills to a wild card birth but just couldn't get by Miami, who won two super bowls through this strtech and easily the class of the AFC from 1971 to 1975.

Saban had a volatile career with Denver but if it wasn't for the Phipps Brothers to acquire majority ownership with the franchise and sign Saban to a ten year contract Denver would have wound up in New Orleans. Truth. When Saban was signed he knew the Broncos had been the worst club in the AFL since its inception. What he DIDN'T know was how dysfunctional the franchise was. He saw the clubs offices in a World War II style quonset hut in Commerce City and the practice field was miles away. Saban signed that contract but told the Phipps what he wanted to start the franchise to respectability. They spent a pile of coin to obtain land out on 1-25 and 58th avenue to build a first class operation with both team offices and practice fields to adjoin.

NFL Commisioner Pete Rozelle had two different business groups ready to buy the franchise and move it. They could have gone to Atlanta--or New Orleans. The franchise stayed in Denver. Saban didn't promise the city super bowls. He promised the city respect. By 1970 the Bronco organization started a consecutive sellout streak that is still going today. They only have the Washington Redskins ahead of them. 46 years of consecutive sellout games.

He was volatile, he had the shortest of tempers known to mankind, he didn't do very well with the media, and sadly left Denver under the darkest of dark clouds. But old time fans of the club and former players know how important he was to the franchise. Pat Bowlen certainly did. As Saban was getting on in years in 2002, four years after their second super bowl victory, Mr. Bowlen got together a testimonial dinner for Saban, acknowledging that if it wasn't for Saban's efforts and the Phipps brothers commitment to keep the franchise in the Mile High City, the franchise would have been lost. He spent a boatload of money paying for traveling expenses for all Bronco players who played for Saban and included former coaches as well. He paid for the hotel expenses--everything.

Lou Saban was important to get the Denver Broncos on the road to respectability. Damn important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Lou's "distant cousin" Nick Saban is a great college coach but in the NFL, well... wasn't that much for an NFL coach. Nick Saban is one of those great college coaches that were unsuccessful coaches. No sour grapes, however. Even Nick didn't want to go discuss the job at Alabama after when Mike Shula was fired from the Crimson Tide. Look at Lou Holtz. In 1976 he was the new head coach for the Jets replacing Charley Winner as Holtz went 3-10 as only season as NFL coach. Another example is Steve Spurrier. Spent two seasons with the Redskins before being replaced by Joe Gibbs. Since Nick wasn't very good with Miami, Cam Cameron was worse. He went 1-15 during his only season with the Dolphins before they fired Cameron. He wasn't even that good of a college coach either.
Speaking of Lou Saban, he was the coach for the Buffalo Bills before and after coaching the Broncos. He went 32-37-1 in his second term with Buffalo. Then he coached the University of Miami Hurricanes and then coached Army for one year. He also coached a few high school teams and a couple Arena football teams later in his career. He never coached the NFL again.

Now regarding the Broncos the question is though, now that Peyton's retired will Gary Kubiak keep the Broncos going and will their offense step up this time? Josh McDaniels couldn't get it done after the Broncos fired Mike Shanahan. I don't know why the Broncos let John Fox go after after four straight playoff appearances, especially 2011 when Tim Tebow beat the Steelers on the first play in overtime in the Wild Card Game. Fox took them to the Super Bowl in the 2013 season but suffered a horrible blowout loss to Seattle. The Broncos have enough defense thanks to DC Wade Phillips whose defense got the job done in the Super Bowl which means they don't need anymore defensive players. It's time to see what Kubiak can do for the Broncos now that Peyton's retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Rex Ryan is my choice. We will see what happens in Buffalo next year.
The Bills will have Rex Ryan fired if they do not make the playoffs this year.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Mike McCoy is worse than Norv Turner so far because he hasn't led the Chargers a playoff at least once as Turner has. 2008 season I believe was their last playoff appearance.
Actually no, their last playoff appearance was 2013. McCoy is still worse than Turner.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 03-24-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 04:21 PM

I guess I'm the only one who voted for Brad Childress, Marc Trestman, and Jim Caldwell. No one else did. I saw a few mentions of Childress and Trestman but nobody voted for them other than me.'

Plus I cannot believe nobody mentioned Lesley Frazier other than me. Sure he led the Vikings to the playoffs but he only led them to the Wild Card Round at Green Bay four seasons ago. He was named interim head coach after Childress was fired. The Vikings were awful in 2011 going 3-13 and was fired after 2013 going 5-11.

I also noticed that nobody voted for Rex Ryan. I saw a few mentions of him but that is the fourth coach that was only voted by me. Sure he led the Jets to a couple of playoff appearances with the Jets. Right now if he does not lead the Bills to the playoffs, he WILL be fired after the season, period. This is Rex's last chance for the Bills. It's either playoffs or he will be fired.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:34 PM

Mike Munchack was pretty bad too, especially for the Titans.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:35 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,823,641 times
Quote:
I guess I'm the only one who voted for Brad Childress, Marc Trestman, and Jim Caldwell. No one else did. I saw a few mentions of Childress and Trestman but nobody voted for them other than me.'

Plus I cannot believe nobody mentioned Lesley Frazier other than me. Sure he led the Vikings to the playoffs but he only led them to the Wild Card Round at Green Bay four seasons ago. He was named interim head coach after Childress was fired. The Vikings were awful in 2011 going 3-13 and was fired after 2013 going 5-11.

I also noticed that nobody voted for Rex Ryan. I saw a few mentions of him but that is the fourth coach that was only voted by me. Sure he led the Jets to a couple of playoff appearances with the Jets. Right now if he does not lead the Bills to the playoffs, he WILL be fired after the season, period. This is Rex's last chance for the Bills. It's either playoffs or he will be fired.
I'm not a Caldwell fan, but he did take the Colts to the Super Bowl. Trestman was quite successful with the Montreal Alouettes, and I'm not going to hold him accountable for Cutler and the Bears.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I'm not a Caldwell fan, but he did take the Colts to the Super Bowl. Trestman was quite successful with the Montreal Alouettes, and I'm not going to hold him accountable for Cutler and the Bears.
The Colts lost the Super Bowl but when Peyton Manning went down Colts played really awful which got Caldwell fired. As for Trestman he is a successful CFL coach, as Rod Rust another NFL coach who coached the Montreal Alouttes but he got stuck in a bad situation for Chicago.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Lovie Smith would be a better coach if he would hire better coordinators. It seems that he does not like anyone on his staff whose opinion differs from his, or who is possible head coach quality. He is also a smug arse who does not take any sort of input and steadfastly will stick with a plan or player that doesn't work, ask any Bears fan. Rex is our QB. Rex is our QB. Rex is our QB. He lost that Superbowl because he refused to pull Rexy until too late. On the other hand, he did have control of his players, they loved him, and they never quit on him. Trestman had no control of the players, no one was accountable, the players quit on him very early in the season.

Trestman is easily the worst NFL coach of 2014.
I've never been a fan of Marc Trestman at all. Maybe the only positive thing for him was benching Jay Cutler against the Lions at home.

Besides, since you say that that Trestman was the worst NFL coach of 2014, the worst coach of 2015, in my opinion, is easily Jim Tomsula. He is just terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 04-05-2016 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Rich Kotite was pretty terrible... especially his final two seasons coaching the Jets combining for a 4-28 record.
Kotite also coached the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1990s.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Rob Ryan DC for the Saints...why does he keep getting jobs?
Quote:
I don't know but... he was previously the defensive coordinator for the Cowboys.
Rob Ryan is with Buffalo now. He was hired by his twin brother Rex to coach the Bills' defense. We will see how that will turn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football