U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:29 AM

32,617 posts, read 26,580,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Not sure what the bigger surprise of 2014 NFL Season is;
Cowboys making the Playoffs
or
Saints not making the Playoffs

One things for sure, it will take longer than 5 minutes for Rob Ryan to get his next job!
i would say the saints not making the playoffs. remember that dallas has had the talent for a strong team, just that they didnt work together as a team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 10:55 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,549,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Not sure what the bigger surprise of 2014 NFL Season is;
Cowboys making the Playoffs
or
Saints not making the Playoffs

One things for sure, it will take longer than 5 minutes for Rob Ryan to get his next job!
The real surprise was cowboys winning the division

Old 12-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
The real surprise was cowboys winning the division
i disagree. what have us cowboy fans been calling for for a number of seasons now? a good running game. why? because we knew that is what was missing from the dallas offense. it had become one dimensional. and that had been affecting the defense because it tended to be on the field more that it should have been.

now that the offense is controlling the ball much more, the defense is better rested, and thus is more effective.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:57 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i disagree. what have us cowboy fans been calling for for a number of seasons now? a good running game. why? because we knew that is what was missing from the dallas offense. it had become one dimensional. and that had been affecting the defense because it tended to be on the field more that it should have been.

now that the offense is controlling the ball much more, the defense is better rested, and thus is more effective.
Let's turn the clock back to Turkey Day

1. Eagles win at Dallas to go to 9-3 with 4 games left...........seahawks, cowboys, skins and giants

2. Cowboys fell to 8-4 and had not shown they could win in December

3. Looking at those last 4 games for the eagles you figured they would win atleast 2 of them

So why it is not surprising the Cowboys won the division? The eagles only had to win one more game in december to lock up the division and they lost the first 3 games to fall to 9-6.

So again, it is surprising the cowboys WON the division but not that they made the playoffs

Old 12-25-2014, 04:44 PM

just remember that up to that point in years past, the cowboys were playing .500 football. they were 6-6, 7-6, etc. thanksgiving day was the first time since 2009 that the cowboys could have locked up a winning season. but in each of the cowboys losses this season what was the thing they didnt do? establish the running game. against philly and the other losses, they either got behind early and tried to force the passing game to work, or the other teams defense shut down the cowboy running game.

and against the colts, even though the boys didnt have murray leading the offense, they had enough of a running game to force the colts to respect it, and romo shredded their pass defense as a result.

the other part of the equation has been the dallas defense. they have been hot this year because a lot of them have something to prove, that they can handle the load, so everyone stepped up. again whe dallas lost, they didnt control the ball as much, so the defense didnt get much rest.

dallas is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, but they havent been able to get all that talent to work together, until this season.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:10 PM

11,741 posts, read 11,602,416 times
Playoffs are going to be interesting this year. I don't think the Cards can keep it together, and the NFC South (whoever that is), not thinking they are a major threat. The Lions have won games, but barely squeaked by the Bears and Vikes recently.

The game Sunday at Lambeau will tell a great deal about both Packers and Lions. Packers defense is coming to life now that everyone is healthy, moving Matthews has been awesome. He didn't play in the end of the season last year.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:15 PM

6,580 posts, read 4,537,350 times
I actually think if Atlanta wins the South (and I think they will beat Carolina), that they'll beat Arizona as well. Already beat them @ Atlanta once this year and that was withy Drew Stanton and now they probably got worse at the QB position since than with Ryan Lindley. Defense can only take you so far.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:23 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I actually think if Atlanta wins the South (and I think they will beat Carolina), that they'll beat Arizona as well. Already beat them @ Atlanta once this year and that was withy Drew Stanton and now they probably got worse at the QB position since than with Ryan Lindley. Defense can only take you so far.
That game comes on in my area and I will be rooting for the panthers

Old 12-28-2014, 03:35 PM
FBJ

Packers playoff hopes may have just taken a huge blow since Rodgers had to leave the game

Old 12-28-2014, 08:51 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,269,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
That game comes on in my area and I will be rooting for the panthers
i was rooting for the Falcons for no other reason than I live in Atlanta..

one thing I fond VERY odd but had nothing to do with the game.. the game was televised on CBS... CBS does AFC games, not NFC.. FOX is the NFC channel.. if the Falcons are playing an AFC team at home then it would be on CBS.. something is up, not sure what..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or