U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2014, 08:46 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I just read this, missed it before.

As an Eagles fan, I think Foles can be a good QB in the NFL. Not great, but good. However, mobile is the last word I would use to describe him.
he lost all credibility with that comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 PM
 
32,452 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Reputation: 19069
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Foles is more mobile than Romo? I have no more interest in discussing the NFL with you this board
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I just read this, missed it before.

As an Eagles fan, I think Foles can be a good QB in the NFL. Not great, but good. However, mobile is the last word I would use to describe him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
he lost all credibility with that comment
i watched nick foles play here at arizona for four years. granted he is no andrew luck or RGlll when it comes to mobility, however neither is tony romo, again someone whose career i have also followed, being a cowboys fan. both can escape and evade defensive linemen, and both can at times run the ball effectively. however, foles youth gives him the edge over romo in mobility. that and a lack of injuries to this point, specifically to the back.

neither one however is considered fast. heck defensive linemen can outrun both of them in a dead sprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Reputation: 12484
Mobile??? Rodgers is a mobile QB, not run first, run when all else fails and he can do it, which is why teams try to trap him in the pocket. I would not describe either Foles or Romo as mobile using Rodgers or Luck as a guideline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
Reputation: 4582
I think there is a clear difference between Romo and Foles and it has nothing to do with mobility. Romo is as nimble as they get in the pocket but that's not what puts him above Foles in my opinion. Romo is a better QB right now because his body of work says so... i don't think there is any question about it. Foles might one day be better than Romo but that day is not now. Foles has played just over 1 full season and you can't simply say he is better or even on par with Romo from such a small sample.

If RGIII taught us anything its that 1 season does not make a great player.. you have be able to replicate that season after season and Foles was no where near last years level of play when he went down this year. In fact, i believe he had more turnovers in 8 games than any QB in the league this year and there was grumbling coming out of Philly about his play..

Bottom line, Foles looks like he might be great... but looks can be deceiving.. just ask any Redskin fan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Reputation: 12484
Romo nimble as they get in the pocket? Wow, not hardly. Romo is benefiting from the run game this year, no doubt about it. It keeps him from bone headed decisions he has made in the past so he looks better overall as a QB. I've never been a fan of his and I do like QBs from teams other than my own. I should say respect the play of QBs from teams other than my own and he definitely isn't high on the list.

If 1 season doesn't make a great player then you have to include Romo's game last year where he threw INTs instead of using the run game. Packers came back (with Matt Flynn) from 26-3 to win that game and it was all on Romo, bad choices. You can blame the coach but you could see Romo change plays at the line of scrimmage.

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-19-2014 at 08:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
Reputation: 4582
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Romo nimble as they get in the pocket? Wow, not hardly. Romo is benefiting from the run game this year, no doubt about it. It keeps him from bone headed decisions he has made in the past so he looks better overall as a QB. I've never been a fan of his and I do like QBs from teams other than my own. I should say respect the play of QBs from teams other than my own and he definitely isn't high on the list.

If 1 season doesn't make a great player then you have to include Romo's game last year where he threw INTs instead of using the run game. Packers came back (with Matt Flynn) from 26-3 to win that game and it was all on Romo, bad choices. You can blame the coach but you could see Romo change plays at the line of scrimmage.

You don't think Romo is nimble in the pocket ? or just not as nimble as many others.? not really sure what you mean when you say, not hardly.. i suspect you meant to simply say "hardly/"

1 season does not make a great player and 1 game does not make a bad year..
Romo's decision vs the Packers last year was terrible and from what I read, he audibled out of a RUN play! Romo has had MORE than his share of bone head plays over the years and if you noticed, I never compared him to the Elite QBs, I simply compared him to Foles.. Which I think he is better than.. JMO

Romo has had several great seasons including this year and last year, despite his late game INT in the Packer game, Romo had a great season and has consistently been among the top 5 to 10 QBs in QB ratings over the past decade... bad QBs just don't put stats up like that.

Romo is NOT Elite, he is not a top 5 QB in the league but he is not bottom 5 either.. I have in squarely in the top 10.. but again, that's just my opinion.. You might think Foles is better than Romo but I don't.. one day he might be.. one day he might be the best of all time but today, he is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 08:37 AM
 
32,452 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Reputation: 19069
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Mobile??? Rodgers is a mobile QB, not run first, run when all else fails and he can do it, which is why teams try to trap him in the pocket. I would not describe either Foles or Romo as mobile using Rodgers or Luck as a guideline.
and i am NOT disagreeing with you on this. romo and foles are pocket QBs. as i said defensive linemen an run them down in a dead run. my point was that foles is a bit more mobile than romo is. mostly due to the age difference, and the lack of injury on foles part. i NEVER suggested that romo or foles were as mobile as a number of other QBs in the league, far from it in fact.

romo and foles both however tend to be escape artists though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think there is a clear difference between Romo and Foles and it has nothing to do with mobility. Romo is as nimble as they get in the pocket but that's not what puts him above Foles in my opinion. Romo is a better QB right now because his body of work says so... i don't think there is any question about it. Foles might one day be better than Romo but that day is not now. Foles has played just over 1 full season and you can't simply say he is better or even on par with Romo from such a small sample.
again i never said foles was better than romo right now. he lacks the experience that romo has, remember what i said about old age and treachery. foles and romo are similar style QBs, both read defenses well, both are escape artists, both throw quite accurately, and both tend to make good decisions on the field. if he stays healthy, foles will be better than romo in time and with experience.

Quote:
If RGIII taught us anything its that 1 season does not make a great player.. you have be able to replicate that season after season and Foles was no where near last years level of play when he went down this year. In fact, i believe he had more turnovers in 8 games than any QB in the league this year and there was grumbling coming out of Philly about his play..
true, to a point. part of phillys problems have been turnovers, but not just at the QB position either. receivers and running backs not doing their jobs also contribute, but too often the QBs get the blame for a lot of things unfairly. for instance, some interceptions are not the QBs fault, but they get the blame for them.

Quote:
Bottom line, Foles looks like he might be great... but looks can be deceiving.. just ask any Redskin fan!
foles will be an excellent QB in a couple of years, once he figures out the nuances of the pro game compared to the college game. remember the college game tends to be fairly static when it comes to changes in the game, where as the pro game tends to be dynamic, and faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Reputation: 12484
Well, knock me over with a feather, never thought the Eagles would lose to the Redskins! Those that thought the Packers would be out of it, not so fast, wait until the games are played tomorrow!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 05:46 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Reputation: 9451
well the eagles lost and now all the cowboys have to do is win tomorrow. So I don't know why some cowboys fans are celebrating.


we need to chill and wait for dallas to beat the colts. I had a feeling the skins would win this game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 06:10 PM
 
32,452 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Reputation: 19069
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
well the eagles lost and now all the cowboys have to do is win tomorrow. So I don't know why some cowboys fans are celebrating.


we need to chill and wait for dallas to beat the colts. I had a feeling the skins would win this game
dallas can also win next week against the redskins, even if they lose tomorrow to the colts, they still win the division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top