U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:32 PM

689 posts, read 339,717 times

Advertisements

I think the shows over the past 3 years were good relevant mainstream choices. Its hard to please everyone so I think mainstream pop artists with different features is best. I think Madonna did well and she featured LMFAO, Nicki Minaj, and CeeLo Green which covered rap and pop...and I think her including a rock group would've made it perfect.

I think Katy Perry is a good choice. Again she doesn't appeal to everybody but she is a mainstream pop artist and I know many people of all different genres, ages, races, etc. like at least some of her material. She also works well with other artists. It would be good if she feature a band like Paramore and did a song like Dark Horse with Juicy J or California Girls with Snoop. Its just hard to please everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 01:43 PM

273 posts, read 350,035 times
I'd like to see a band reflecting the region that is hosting the game.

Metallica would be a great choice in San Francisco, for example...

...or how sweet would Journey be?!

For Houston, bring back ZZ Top. For Minneapolis, a Prince return!

Old 12-23-2014, 02:39 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,516,175 times
Why wouldn't they play well? You mean because the crowd would hate them because the crowd is mostly American sheep into pop, or because they're incapable musicians?

Old 12-23-2014, 02:43 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,752,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Why wouldn't they play well?
Not a single one is mainstream enough for mass appeal. They would not even be considered.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:46 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,061,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
I'd like to see a band reflecting the region that is hosting the game.

Metallica would be a great choice in San Francisco, for example...

...or how sweet would Journey be?!

For Houston, bring back ZZ Top. For Minneapolis, a Prince return!
Yes! With the return of Steve Perry as lead singer.

I think the idea of the halftime performers reflecting the region that is hosting the game is a wonderful idea. Maybe do a medley with various genres of music. Instead of just having a rock band, have a rock band, a rapper, and a pop artist or group from the Bay Area, for example. It doesn't have to just be Metallica or Journey. Both could play the same halftime show with the living members of the Grateful Dead. That would appeal to a wide audience. I think it'd be even cooler if the halftime performers would go unannounced and no one would know who it is until the start of the performance. Of course, there's no way something like that wouldn't get out.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:47 PM

I understand that, and noted that in my initial post. Wasn't sure if it was a shot at their abilities, or a shot at the masses. I would rather see them play a 75 minute set when they go on tour anyway than see them "play" some silly 10-15 minute set at the SB.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:15 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,141,495 times
Dream Halftime Show? I don't think it even matters what we want anyway.

Super Bowl committees seem to prefer returning to their obligatory rehash of recycled metal-death groups, British Invasion/rock groups, bubblegum/pop groups, salsa or rap groups - complete with their silly dancing, screaming & applauding happy fanboys & fangirls!

Marching bands might never see the light of day again, and neither would a throwback to the '40's Big Band type of music, featuring crooners? I doubt they'd consider propping up 88-year-old Tony Bennett long enough to do a song! And, hey! Country rock is rarely given a sniff!

While we're at it, how about these committees begin making sure the National Anthem is done properly? They should start by banning "singers" who believe they need to sound like they're auditioning for American Idol! They need to verify that they 1) actually know the words to the Star Spangled Banner, and 2) how about making sure they sing it faster than a funeral march, which usually sounds like Frédéric Chopin's Piano Sonata #2 in B-flat minor! Put us to sleep, why don't ya?

Yep. Most likely more halftime rehash.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:38 PM

What death metal groups have performed before?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:06 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,819,454 times
I've felt for awhile that Foo Fighters would be a good choice. They're essentially a straight rock band with a sound that can appeal across generations.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:12 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,381,588 times
Resurrect G.G. Allin and send him on during Katy Perry's set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football