U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,515,266 times

Advertisements

Some obvious biased picks by a Ravens fan, but I'm not picking against Joe in January.

Wild Card:

Ravens over Steelers - their last matchup was very awkward. Steelers passing game was great, and their pass rush was too, but the first quarter, the Ravens had a great passing game and pass rush, and it looked like the Ravens were going to blow them out again. Was a very strange game. That said, the Steelers have some injuries, and Ngata coming back with the Ravens already spectacular up front and a very capable Flacco come playoff time gives Baltimore a good chance to win.
Colts over Bengals - Bengals have no chance
Cowboys over Lions
Panthers over Cardinals - Cardinals have been spiraling out of control

Divisional:

Ravens over Patriots - Patriots players won't have even played for 3 weeks other than a lousy half a game for Brady.
Broncos over Colts
Cowboys over Packers - do you think it impacts the Packers' Super Bowl chances if Rodgers is hurt?
Seahawks over Panthers

Conference:

Ravens over Broncos - the Broncos have really had some struggles this year
Cowboys over Seahawks - they can pull it off again

SB:

Ravens over Cowboys - Suggs gets to go back home for the SB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,097,097 times
Wild Card Round
Ravens at Steelers- Uggh, as a Browns fan I wish these 2 could tie! I am pulling for the Ravens, but the Steelers just aren't going away, and given Ben has had quite a year, look for the Steelers to make some noise deeper into the playoffs. I can only hope the likes of Denver or New England knock them off down the stretch!

Bengals at Colts- I don't think we'll see the blowout that we saw when these two teams met earlier in the season, but the Bengals once again will be one and done.

Lions at Cowboys- Look for the Cowboys to get their first playoff win since 2009.

Cardinals at Panthers- The Cardinals are banged up, and Carolina pulls the upset.

I'll chime in with the divisional round picks once I see how these games shake out.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:45 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,688,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Some obvious biased picks by a Ravens fan
ya think? lol

Old 12-29-2014, 08:46 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,688,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

Cardinals at Panthers- The Cardinals are banged up, and Carolina pulls the upset.
Cardinals are the underdogs in this game by 5. Would not be an upset...don't let the overall record fool you...!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:36 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,076,756 times
Panthers over Cardinals
Cowboys over Lions
Steelers over Ravens
Colts over Bengals

Old 12-29-2014, 09:27 PM

6,847 posts, read 7,909,459 times
Panthers over Cardinals (A sub .500 team got a first round gift)
Cowboys over Lions (As much as I despise the Boys, they look good right now)
Ravens over Steelers (My promise in Week 14 to not pick the Steelers again this season carries into the playoffs!)
Colts over Bengals (I'm not sold on Indy, but I think they take care of business here)

Divisional Round:

NFC

Seattle over Carolina (This may be closer than some may think)
Dallas over GB (Just a gut feeling. I mean, GB struggled with the Bills for Heavens sake)

AFC

Pats over Ravens (Blowout city)
Broncos over Colts (Manning out duels Luck. Should be a great game)

Championship Round:

NFC: Seattle over Dallas (A game for the ages)

AFC: Pats over Broncos (I hate the Pats, but I sense a beat down here)

Super Bowl: Pats over Seattle (Brady gets the fourth ring. Or is it the third? Or is it the fifth? Whatever... Brady will then retire from professional football on top of the world, much to a Bills fans pleasure)

Of course, all of this rubbish may be subject to change on a weekly basis!.......

Last edited by ditchlights; 12-29-2014 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 AM

6,470 posts, read 3,472,918 times
Wild Card Round

Colts vs Bengals - hard to bet against Luck even though the Colts didn't impress this year. But the Bengals were even more wishy-washy, and I just can't pick Dalton over Luck.
Steelers vs Ravens - something about the Steelers scares me.

Panthers vs Cardinals - Panthers playing better, but even with a 9th string QB I'll give this one to the Cardinals
Lions vs Cowboys - I like the way the Cowboys have played late in the season. They have the weapons.

Divisional Round

Colts vs Patriots - I just don't see any AFC team beating the Pats in Gillette on the way to the Super Bowl. For the first time in a long time, the "D" looks pretty good. Plus, the Pats will be fairly healthy and rested.
Steelers vs Broncos - see my comment above

Cardinals vs Seahawks - Cardinals offense doesn't have enough to crack the Seahawks defense
Cowboys vs Packers - certainly not betting against Aaron, hurt or not. He is just that good, as is the team around him. Romo and Dallas have played really well this year, but I think overall Green Bay has a more well-balanced team.

Conference Round

Patriots vs Steelers - The scariness of the Steelers ends here. Close game, but the Pats prevail.
Seahawks vs Packers - I really believe Green Bay is built to beat the Seahawks.

Superbowl

Patriots vs Packers - with the defense the Patriots have this year, this seems to be their best chance to get #4 in the Brady/Belichick era. It's how they won the 1st three. And with Gronk hopefully healthy, I think his absence was a main reason the Pats didn't win in their last appearance in the SB.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,567,118 times
Great post and one change for me! Packers get back to the SB and win it! Go Pack Go!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 2,379,680 times
Post #1,000
I'll take a slight different route & focus on who the NFL will let play in the Super Bowl. NFL has to make money too, & some teams or stories will simply make them more $, so I think the NFL has an influence overall. Not as much as other sports like the World Cup or NBA playoffs, but of course the NFL has some say.

3 things that make for a good super bowl
- big city or coastal teams (Giants vs Pats was a dream media matchup)

- story: Saints-Katrina, first bowl w/2 black coaches, rematches, villains (Roethlisberger playing in super bowl after his rape charges vs protagonist Packers )

- stars: Manning, Brady, etc

Who is out
Cardinals: no major stars, not a coast, defense & having a 3rd string QB could be a story, but it's not big enough

Panthers: I had to look up what city the Panthers play in, stars?, story?

Colts: not sure Luck is star enough just yet.

Bengals: first playoff win will be a story, but that's not big enough to get to the super bowl, they need to make another super bowl shuffle or create something gimmicky like the 12th man

Ravens: east coast, but they no longer have the story factor. Ray Lewis was controversial & drew viewers, but he's gone

Who is in
Cowboys: drama & stories abound, stars, big city, could tie for the most super bowls with another win
Lions: with Suh & Raiola they could play the villain role very well, story: Stafford 0-15 on road against winning teams
Packers: history, star, possible rematch w/Patriots or Steelers, play protagonist role well
Seahawks: rematch opportunity w/Broncos, coastal city?, repeating would be a huge story

Patriots: star, history, rematches, east coast
Broncos: star, history, rematch w/Seahawks, Mannings last chance?
Steelers: star, history, rematches, 7th ring potential

Possible Super Bowl matchups if the NFL & media had 100% control
Cowboys vs Steelers: dream matchup for NFL & media, Cowboys with 5 super bowl wins, Steelers with 6, massive fan bases, history, stars, it's all there.

Broncos vs Lions: Nothing draws people in better than a strong protagonist & antagonist. Media loves to portray Manning as a protagonist. They could easily portray the Lions like the Bad Boy Pistons.

Broncos vs Seahawks: Revenge factor

Packers vs Patriots: QBs, repeat of previous super bowl, rematch from few weeks ago

You could mix & match any of the above 7 tems to create lots of $.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,615,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Wild Card Round

Colts vs Cincinnati
Steelers vs San Diego

Falcons vs Cardinals
Lions vs Cowboys

Divisional Round

Colts vs Patriots
Steelers vs Broncos

Cardinals vs Seahawks
Lions vs Packers

Conference Round

Patriots vs Broncos
Seahawks vs Packers

Superbowl

Patriots vs Seahawks
I reserve the right to edit this, once I have a better look at the stats and in-season games. But for now, I have it like this:

Wildcard
Colts 31 Cincinnati 28
Steelers 24 Baltimore 17
Cowboys 28 Lions 10
Panthers 16 Cardinals 13

Division
Patriots 45 Colts 17
Broncos 35 Steelers 21

Seahawks 31 Panthers 9
Packers 28 Cowboys 20

Championships
Patriots 28 Broncos 17
Seahawks 24 Packers 17

Super Bowl
Seahawks 24 Patriots 16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football