U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:16 PM

9,711 posts, read 4,643,914 times

Advertisements

Just a question. If anytime a corner is hit in the back with a pass it's a penalty, what would keep a QB from intentionally hitting the corner with the ball when the WR is covered?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,784,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Just a question. If anytime a corner is hit in the back with a pass it's a penalty, what would keep a QB from intentionally hitting the corner with the ball when the WR is covered?

that is not DPI.........in this case the defender got beat and made contact with his arms and pushed the receiver while the ball was in the air and didn't play the ball by having his back towards the ball.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:49 PM

4,907 posts, read 3,989,682 times
Default Not the first time the NFL has rigged a game

This is not the first time things have happened in the NFL to give question to the legitimacy of the contests.
Remember the NFC Championship, January 23 2000. The Tampa Buccaneers had what looked like a reception on the Rams 6 yard line as time was running out. The booth official overturned the play. Replays showed that the play was legit. I think that the Buccaneers, being a small market team, would not have generated the interest or revenue that the Rams would have, and so the league decided that the Rams should be in the Super Bowl instead.

Another example of a rigged game was the second 49ers/Bengals Super Bowl. The Striped cats dominated the game, until the end, as their defense seemed to move aside, roll over and play dead like on a sigfried and ROy stage. The 49ers picked up a win, which was better marketing wise for the NFL.

Someone had brought up revoking the tax free status of the NFL. I am all for that, but not for the reasons listed on the thread. There has already been on congressional inquiry into the legitamacy of NFL contests (ie are the games predetermined/rigged) but not an investigation.

I see why the league wants the Cowboys to win. They have a large fan base (kind of like the Yankees to football) and love them or hate them, most people do not ignore them. It is good for the league to have them winning. Problem is, when a fix is in, or when something like this happens, about 0.0002% of the fans will turn the game off and say "forget it." The rest will bend over and take it like true fans.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:19 PM

9,711 posts, read 4,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
that is not DPI.........in this case the defender got beat and made contact with his arms and pushed the receiver while the ball was in the air and didn't play the ball by having his back towards the ball.
If you look at the video, the receiver had the defender by the face mask.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 4,249,668 times
LKC,
If you think the refs or the NFL rigged this game so the Cowboys would win then you did not watch the entire game. There were numerous penalties against the Cowboys at very opportune times. It seems to me that if the NFL rigged this game, the Refs did a very poor job of ensuring the Cowboys won.. do you not remember the holding call on Jason Witten that negated a DeMarco Murray Run.. what about the Offensive PI called on Terreance Williams that negated a 3rd down conversion late in the first half.. geez.. like i said, you didn't watch the entire game..

As for the Bucs you mentioned above, the ball hit the ground and afterward the NFL reworded the rule to say that the ball can touch the ground as long as the player does NOT lose control of the ball, prior to that change in the rule, when the ball touched the ground, it was an incomplete pass... PLUS the Bucs won the Super Bowl a few years later ... Explain that one??

As for the Niners/Bengals Super Bowl, no bad calls to conjure up so I suppose the NFL just gave the Bengals defense some extra cash to throw that game.. ?

Old 01-05-2015, 06:23 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,225,435 times
Ok, enough of this "rigged" b.s.

That flag, picked up or not, happened with more than 8 minutes to go. That's PLENTY of time to either get another 1st down OR stop the Cowboys from driving down the field. Detroit did neither. Let's take a look at what happened within those 8 minutes, shall we?

- 4th & 1 and they don't go for it. They were running down the Cowboys throats all game and suddenly their huevos shrunk and decide to punt. Then the punt was 10 freaking yards, giving Dallas GOOD field position.
- The Cowboys were driving but held to a 4th & 6... and they convert. Detroit's defense FAILED to do what they had been doing all day in that last drive and shut the Cowboys down.
- Detroit gets the ball with 2:30 left. That's plenty of time to drive down the field. Could have thrown it to Megatron and forced our secondary's hand. But what happens? Stafford fumbles.
- They were fortunate, though, as the Lions got the ball back with a bone-headed mistake from Demarcus Lawrence with another set of downs.
- And THEN what happens? Stafford fumbles AGAIN just a few plays later and loses the ball to the same player who made the mistake.

Long story short to all Lions fans and people complaining: SHUT UP.
That one play (out of the many horrible and questionable calls all day) was not the end all-be all to that game. Detroit had several chances to close that game, even with a 20-7 lead.

Don't blame the refs. Blame your sorry ass team for not closing it out when they should have.

p.s., I'm getting sick of hearing how the Cowboys always choke because of the one (now two) playoff wins since '96. Well the last time Detroit won a playoff game, Nirvana and Grunge Rock was "new". Quit crying.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:44 PM

136 posts, read 84,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
This is not the first time things have happened in the NFL to give question to the legitimacy of the contests.
Remember the NFC Championship, January 23 2000. The Tampa Buccaneers had what looked like a reception on the Rams 6 yard line as time was running out. The booth official overturned the play. Replays showed that the play was legit. I think that the Buccaneers, being a small market team, would not have generated the interest or revenue that the Rams would have, and so the league decided that the Rams should be in the Super Bowl instead.

Another example of a rigged game was the second 49ers/Bengals Super Bowl. The Striped cats dominated the game, until the end, as their defense seemed to move aside, roll over and play dead like on a sigfried and ROy stage. The 49ers picked up a win, which was better marketing wise for the NFL.

Someone had brought up revoking the tax free status of the NFL. I am all for that, but not for the reasons listed on the thread. There has already been on congressional inquiry into the legitamacy of NFL contests (ie are the games predetermined/rigged) but not an investigation.

I see why the league wants the Cowboys to win. They have a large fan base (kind of like the Yankees to football) and love them or hate them, most people do not ignore them. It is good for the league to have them winning. Problem is, when a fix is in, or when something like this happens, about 0.0002% of the fans will turn the game off and say "forget it." The rest will bend over and take it like true fans.
lets make this real simple....if the NFL wanted to "rig" the game and hand it to the Cowboys, why in the world would they let Suh play in the game....if the fix was in, just deny the appeal or have Cottrell uphold the suspension....stop it with the conspiracy theories....the Lions were up 20-7 with 22 mins left to go in the game. Dallas just picked up the pace

Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 PM

275 posts, read 348,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the refs blew a lot of calls that game, this one was no different. one ref "saw" something, the rest didnt agree. how many flags were picked up in that game? at least three that i can think of, why are the rest not being debated?

and how many other calls did they get wrong that were "obvious"? at least one that i know of, why are we not debating that call? and how many calls were missed? quite a few i can think of, again why are we not debating those calls?

my point is that one call does not a game make or break. the lions had plenty of time to overcome that call, but they didnt. the cowboys had plenty of time to overcome some of the bad calls against them, and they did.
Thank you for making a point I've made elsewhere: " . . . one call does not a game make or break . . . " The Lions had a substantial lead (and momentum) over the Cowboys and let it melt away. The Lions also let the Cowboys convert on TWO key fourth downs in the second half. The Cowboys had several controversial calls not go their way. The Cowboys had to suck it up and keep playing hard--they did that and they won.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,784,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If you look at the video, the receiver had the defender by the face mask.

you mean when the defender was holding before the obvious DPI?..........the Cowboys committed 3 fouls in that play to the Lions 1......worst case scenario was to repeat 3rd down. If the refs would have called an offense of penalty for face mask nobody would have a problem unless they picked up the flag for no reason and gave a lame explanation.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,276,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
Pettigrew also grabbed Hitchens facemask....should we argue that it should have been offensive PI?
Which is why Hitchens kept running over Pettigrew. The opposite camera angle showed that clearly. No one wants to talk about that. He more than swatted his face mask; he grabbed it and pulled, which is why it was reversed.

Sore losers all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or