U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,255,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Pettigrew was playing the ball, Hitchens was not.
Is grabbing a face mask the same as playing the ball?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 PM

9,615 posts, read 4,607,965 times
Haven't you ever seen when the defender was looking back for the ball, the WR stopped and the corner ran over him because he was looking back and the corner got called for a penalty. The rules favor the offense because offense sells tickets.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:29 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,255,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

If that's the case, then why did they throw a flag for holding on Witten on the Murray TD run... That makes no sense. If the refs had it in for the Lions and wanted the Cowboys to win, they would have NEVER thrown that flag.. that took 7 points off the board and moved the Cowboys back 10 yards... if your theory is correct, no way does this flag get thrown.. sorry.
Was that Murry or Dunbar?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:52 PM

1,437 posts, read 724,836 times
Haven't read all pages but to all those conspiracy theorists and "the fix was in" crowd I pose this question: If that was that was so, why did the official throw the flag in the first place??? Think about it....if the fix was in he could have just not called a penalty, there would be no call/call reversed and they would avoid any claim of a cover up/fix and the mess that has been created now by just not calling the penalty.

Having said that, I've been watching NFL football a LOOOONG time and don't ever remember any call being changed AFTER it was announced & stated by the head ref over the PA system.

We've all seen a flag thrown only to have the head ref announce "There is no foul on the play as the......" after the officials meet & talk about it but NEVER AFTER it was announced officially by the ref so I'm at a loss trying to figure out what the hell happened and why they would expose themselves to all this scrutiny other than a mass brain fart by the crew of officials.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,225,826 times
armory,
I went and checked the play by play because i couldn't remember for sure but i was right, it was Murray's TD that was called back:

(5:06) (Shotgun) 29-D.Murray left end for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on DAL-82-J.Witten, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at DET 7 - No Play. Penalty on DAL-88-D.Bryant, Taunting, declined.

I don't remember the taunting penalty called on Dez after this play but the Lions must have declined because it was after the play and if they accepted that penalty then the Holding would have been declined and the TD would have stood. I think..

I went back and watched the PI flag/pick up play again. The ref announced the penalty real fast, the camera was not even on the REF when he announced. That happens sometimes... but there was no ref announcement of the flag being picked, at least none that was shown or heard on tv but as the network was replaying the play from a different angle, you could hear the stadium PA announcer there was no penalty for PI on the play, 4th down! And Stadium, errupts and you could see the Cowboys bench a bit bewildered.. in fact they even showed Dez's facial expression.. like, um.. ok! yea! odd. so the stadium announcer got word the flag was picked up so the ref had to at least signal no flag.. by waving the flag in the air, again the network was showing the replay and not showing the refs.. in the end it was a mix up by the refs..

Old 01-06-2015, 05:55 AM

21,334 posts, read 21,906,527 times
even though the lions have been largely missing from any post season relevance since our grand parents hitched up the mule to the buck wagon to see football games, you have to give their fans credit for being able to whine about defeats along with the best of 'em

Old 01-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
even though the lions have been largely missing from any post season relevance since our grand parents hitched up the mule to the buck wagon to see football games, you have to give their fans credit for being able to whine about defeats along with the best of 'em
Of all the teams that i would wish ill will on, the Lions are not one of them. I feel their pain, they pushed the Cowboys around for almost 3 qtrs but you have to score more than 3 points in the second half of a playoff game if you want to win.. you just have to! The Lions defense played more than well enough to win but the offense simply let them down. They score 2 TDs on their first 2 possessions of the game and then can only muster 2 FGs the rest of the game.. that's not gonna win many football games, especially a playoff game.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 AM

14,583 posts, read 22,431,023 times
Default they are still talking about this dpi call on the Dan Patrick Show this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
You are keeping score?!

wow... cool.
sour grapes
Sour grapes? No. Keeping score? Sure. Post should have been a poll.

Mco - 17
Vegas_cabbie - 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Is grabbing a face mask the same as playing the ball?
He wasn't grabbing the facemask. He was reaching for the football and the facemask got in the way.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 AM

They are still talking about it on sports radio talk shows in Dallas...
Controversial as it was, the Lions know that they can't use that single play as an excuse for losing. They scored only 3 points in the second half... that's terrible.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:18 AM

14,583 posts, read 22,431,023 times
Now thanks to this stupid game, we also have to hear about DPIGate, BusGate, and Joneses-ChristieGate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or