U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,472,108 times

Advertisements

I think one smack of reality is that ref's don't spend a whole lot of time 'explaining' much of anything. A savvy sports fan is going to know what the ref means when he flashes his hands around and quotes a couple of words. And in the final crunch, I don't think the ref's are going to reverse a call because, 'oh gosh, it's america's team... we've got to turn this thing around'. Their jobs rely as much on their abilities as do the players, and the bookie.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:28 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,863,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The refs ADMITTED they should've communicated/explained the reversal better. That's what pisses me off, not the actual call, becuase IMO it wasn't 100% definitive....call my opinion wrong or whatever, we all have opinions...but watching the replay multiple times on nfl dot com, that's how I feel.
Your opinion is definitely wrong, but hey, some people think the moon landing was staged too. There will always be a minority who see it differently.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,685,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I think it has more to do with the time in the game in which it happened. If this play happened in the first half hardly anyone would be talking about it.

Every replay I have seen shows enough contact in my opinion that it should have been called. I thought that Mike Pereira said it best that the defender was never playing the ball at any point and so it should have been a penalty.

In the end, with the way the game was going I would not have been surprised if Dallas still would have won even if the Lions did get the call there. Lions probably only would have gotten a field goal giving them just a six point lead. Dallas still wins if they can get a TD still.
So, going forward from here, how do you correct this so it doesn't happen again? Should they be able to challenge something like this? Do you banish this ref from future games? The call was made, but I don't know how you 'fix' something like this (except maybe for the communication)

I see hits from DB's all the time where they are called for dirty hits when actually the hit was legal. (leaning w/the shoulder and still being flagged).. How do you correct plays like that?

There is some human element to this....

Old 01-04-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
So, going forward from here, how do you correct this so it doesn't happen again? Should they be able to challenge something like this? Do you banish this ref from future games? The call was made, but I don't know how you 'fix' something like this (except maybe for the communication)

I see hits from DB's all the time where they are called for dirty hits when actually the hit was legal. (leaning w/the shoulder and still being flagged).. How do you correct plays like that?

There is some human element to this....
You can't fix anything. It is what it is. Bad calls are a part of the game replay has helped some but it can't fix every bad call.

I would be careful to punish refs. I would assume that the NFL already has some sort of process that also includes some sort of discipline, perhaps salary or bonus based, in which they review and grade refs. At least I would hope so.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 PM

3,982 posts, read 5,772,367 times
Quote:
"multiple instances of contact" they (receiver/defender) were hand jabbing at best. There was no body contact at the end, and alot of air between the defender and the receiver.
The defender CLEARLY pushed the receiver's shoulder before the ball arrived. The contact what not incidental. That is what everyone else in the world calls pass interference.

Quote:
So, nothing you said or in that link changes anything except the fact that the refs should've been much smoother about the explanation (LIKE I'VE BEEN SAYING HERE ALL ALONG)
They had no explanation. It was clearly pass interference.

Quote:
Lastly, we can whine about the call till the cows come home, but again, Detroit lost this and had control but lost it when up 20-7 mid in the 3rd quarter....
This, of course, is completely irrelevant.

Quote:
its very easy to blame this because where it was played, and who it was against!
Or, simply because it was a ridiculous call reversal made to the benefit of "America's team" in their own house.

If the shoe was on the other foot, your homer self would be singing a different tune.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Your opinion is definitely wrong, but hey, some people think the moon landing was staged too. There will always be a minority who see it differently.
No, its up to interpretation just like a ton of calls throughout the game, but go ahead and make another wise arse comment and ignore that fact that you focus on one play instead of the fact that this did not lose the game which you can't dispute.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The defender CLEARLY pushed the receiver's shoulder before the ball arrived. The contact what not incidental. That is what everyone else in the world calls pass interference.

They had no explanation. It was clearly pass interference.

This, of course, is completely irrelevant.

Or, simply because it was a ridiculous call reversal made to the benefit of "America's team" in their own house.

If the shoe was on the other foot, your homer self would be singing a different tune.
Your wrong on all counts. It clearly wasn't pass interference.

When are you going to get over the fact that one play does not lose a game? Detroit was up 20-7 and collapsed so to speak. The refs did not give up the winning drive.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
No, its up to interpretation just like a ton of calls throughout the game, but go ahead and make another wise arse comment and ignore that fact that you focus on one play instead of the fact that this did not lose the game which you can't dispute.
Never said it lost that game, in fact go back and read my post. My opinion is that the Lions still would have lost the game given how it was playing out in the second half. But still, that was the definition of PI. As you said, it is a judgement call and they blew. End of story. It happens. Wasn't the first time poor judgement was used and won't be the last.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,076,965 times
So let's go back in time and lets back the Dallas defender up a foot or even 2 feet. The ball is still going to hit him in the back.To be pass interference the ball has to be catchable- it wasn't unless you just take the Dallas team off of the field. They should have thrown a flag though for the Lions player hands to the face. Yeah, there were also other calls that should have been made for both sides including lining up off sides (Lions), no helmet on the field (Dallas) and many others but that's not how the game was officiated. While I'm a Cowboys fan since Landry was a young man, I can honestly say the best team did not win today. Dallas doesn't have a prayer against Green Bay. But it's been a fun ride this year for the dehydrated Cowboy fan. Too much Jerry Jones and not near enough to cheer about in the last decade. The Lions will be back next year, count on it. The Cowboys.....well we have Jerry Jones that can screw up a train wreck so who knows. And we have Romo, the hottest and coldest quarterback on any team, including high school quarterbacks.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:08 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,203,071 times
Side note:

Was N. Suh really CRYING at the end of that?

FOR WHAT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or