Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Weak argument, at best...

Then go ahead and explain why Dez Bryant didn't get flagged for being on the field... An offensive player... 15 yards onto the field... In the ref's face... Without his helmet...

By the way, when you say "Detroit wouldn't have done anything with it anyways", take note that the PI call would have given them a 1st down AND put them into field goal range
there again you assume that stafford would not have been sacked taking the team out of field goal range. or perhaps detroit might have fumbled the ball away to the cowboys on the very next play. and even if detroit got a field goal, they STILL would have lost by a point instead of four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the defender made contact with the receiver while the ball was in the air and didn't turn his head to play the ball, that is PI.

Mike Pereira, the former Vice President of Officiating of the NFL said it on national tv it was PI.......but I guess it wasn't PI because you say so? who are you again? you know more about the rules than Mike Pereira??.....
the refs on the field didnt think so. also mr pereira sometimes disagrees with the officials, and they disagree with them. the officials on the field choose to pick up the flag for what ever reason.

as for contact by the defender, if it were a case of contact, then you could call pass interference on EVERY play of EVERY game, because defender and receiver make contact pretty much all the way down the field. at some point you have to let the players play the damn game. i didnt see enough contact by the defender where the receiver was interfered with, and as i said before face guarding is not a penalty in the NFL, and major contact was not made until AFTER the ball bounced off the back of the defender.

in the end i would have accepted the officials sticking dallas with a penalty if they chose to.

but again NO ONE has answered why williams was flagged with offensive pass interference when he was blocked into a defensive player, but then again NO ONE else is talking about that penalty. why?

Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Uhh, I have never seen a player go all the way onto the field with no helmet to argue in the ref's face / throw a tantrum... Who wasn't even in on the play in question.

So you're right... I haven't seen a flag for that... Because I've never seen a player actually try to pull a stunt like that, let alone get away with it.

Or maybe it's because it's DEZ and he is just oh so special and passionate, which apparently allows him to get away with anything.

Either way, it's BS.
There was a brawl in a Raiders/Bengals game a couple years ago where one players got ejected and an unsportsmanlike specifically for coming off the bench into the field of play to participate. There is even a YouTube video that includes that in the refs explanation.

Coming off the bench is unsportsmanlike conduct and Dez should have gotten a 15 yard penalty.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There was a brawl in a Raiders/Bengals game a couple years ago where one players got ejected and an unsportsmanlike specifically for coming off the bench into the field of play to participate. There is even a YouTube video that includes that in the refs explanation.

Coming off the bench is unsportsmanlike conduct and Dez should have gotten a 15 yard penalty.
Exactly.. thanks for helping me prove my point. It rarely gets called..

Old 01-05-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
the defender made contact with the receiver while the ball was in the air and didn't turn his head to play the ball, that is PI.

Mike Pereira, the former Vice President of Officiating of the NFL said it on national tv it was PI.......but I guess it wasn't PI because you say so? who are you again? you know more about the rules than Mike Pereira??.....
Actually, it wasn't PI because the refs said it wasn't PI.. and that's all that matters..

Nothing special about this play, i see it almost every game.. lots of hand contact but no PI.. big deal!
One ref called it and another stepped in and said, i had a better view and it was only hand contact, no PI..

Old 01-05-2015, 11:06 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Actually, it wasn't PI because the refs said it wasn't PI.. and that's all that matters..

Nothing special about this play, i see it almost every game.. lots of hand contact but no PI.. big deal!
One ref called it and another stepped in and said, i had a better view and it was only hand contact, no PI..

it gets call in 99.9% of the plays when the defender doesn't play the ball has his back on the ball and makes contact with his hands with the receiver while the ball is in the air.

one ref had a better view????? LMAO!!!...

just admit the refs blew the call and move on.....its insulting defending the pick up flag with some lame explanation.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM

18,012 posts, read 27,456,617 times
They are still... talking about this play on sports tv/radio today. It's three pages deep here now.

Let's look at Cowboy apologists number of posts in here and throw them out, along with the OPs and see what we got.

CouponJack with 14
Mco65 with 8
OP with 8
Bill the Butcher with 7 (seemingly neutral observer)
Temp43k with 4
Rbohm with r
JJG, a Cowboy fan, with 3
Some more 3s and 2s and 1s
Me with 1... 2 with this post...

What are Cowboys fans defending?

I think it was a bogus play that could have gone either way, who cares?

On the final td drive at the goal line I'd heard Suh was held three times in a row. That makes total sense because you could "call holding on every single play", right?

Detroit looked awesome for about 3 and a half quarters and the Cowboys were pretty good for about 8 minutes.

But it looks to me, the casual observer, that the refs put the clamps on the game at the end.

We will see. Unless the Boys beat the Packers and then the Seahawks/Panthers winner, this thread will have finally sunk like a rock.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

the refs on the field didnt think so. also mr pereira sometimes disagrees with the officials, and they disagree with them. the officials on the field choose to pick up the flag for what ever reason.

as for contact by the defender, if it were a case of contact, then you could call pass interference on EVERY play of EVERY game, because defender and receiver make contact pretty much all the way down the field. at some point you have to let the players play the damn game. i didnt see enough contact by the defender where the receiver was interfered with, and as i said before face guarding is not a penalty in the NFL, and major contact was not made until AFTER the ball bounced off the back of the defender.

in the end i would have accepted the officials sticking dallas with a penalty if they chose to.

but again NO ONE has answered why williams was flagged with offensive pass interference when he was blocked into a defensive player, but then again NO ONE else is talking about that penalty. why?

and the refs will sit down and hear form the league how they messed up.

Mr. Pereira knows the rules and what is PI under the rulebook. His quote"

Quote:

Mike PereiraVerified account ‏@MikePereira

I am out of here. Biggest call was the DPI pickup. It was DPI and it was defensive holding as well. Not good. Flying back to Sac tonight.
by the way, face guarding wasn't the penalty. If you view the replay, the defender makes contact with his left arm and pushes the receiver while the ball was in the air and didn't play the ball, that's PI in the rule book.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 01-05-2015 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-05-2015, 11:31 AM

136 posts, read 106,328 times
Quote:
and the refs will sit down and hear form the league how they messed up.

Mr. Pereira knows the rules and what is PI under the rulebook. His quote"

by the way, face guarding wasn't the penalty. If you view the replay, the defender makes contact with his left arm on the receiver while the ball was in the air and didn't play the ball, that's PI in the rule book.

Pettigrew also grabbed Hitchens facemask....should we argue that it should have been offensive PI?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
Pettigrew also grabbed hitchns facemask....should we argue that it should have been offensive PI?

but it wasn't call and picked up, was it?

there were at least 3 penalties from the Cowboys on that play.....defensive holding, DPI and Dez coming out to the field to argue with the ref from the sidelines.

best scenario was to replay 3rd down and 1.......I never seen a ref pick up a flag for DPI before......admit the refs messed up....move on!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
They are still... talking about this play on sports tv/radio today. It's three pages deep here now.

Let's look at Cowboy apologists number of posts in here and throw them out, along with the OPs and see what we got.

CouponJack with 14
Mco65 with 8
OP with 8
Bill the Butcher with 7 (seemingly neutral observer)
Temp43k with 4
Rbohm with r
JJG, a Cowboy fan, with 3
Some more 3s and 2s and 1s
Me with 1... 2 with this post...

What are Cowboys fans defending?

I think it was a bogus play that could have gone either way, who cares?

On the final td drive at the goal line I'd heard Suh was held three times in a row. That makes total sense because you could "call holding on every single play", right?

Detroit looked awesome for about 3 and a half quarters and the Cowboys were pretty good for about 8 minutes.

But it looks to me, the casual observer, that the refs put the clamps on the game at the end.

We will see. Unless the Boys beat the Packers and then the Seahawks/Panthers winner, this thread will have finally sunk like a rock.
You are keeping score?!

wow... cool.
sour grapes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football