U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:45 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,104 times

Advertisements

I'm not really a Patriots fan, but I'm a Tom Brady fan. I've been waiting for Brady to get that elusive fourth ring so that he can finally lay legitimate claim to being *the* greatest of all time. Brady, Montana, and Elway are the three quarterbacks I've seen since I started watching the game as a kid in the early 1980s. For the longest time, I always felt like there were no equals to Montana, but the more that Brady plays, I'm really starting to think he might be even slightly better. What Brady has accomplished in terms of his on-the-field success is probably unparalleled.

Sure, Belichick has had a lot to do with that, but all winning QBs need to play on winning teams with great coaches and great ownership. I don't think Montana's quite as successful without Bill Walsh, Carmen Policy, and the loaded talent that the 49ers had. I don't think Elway's quite the legend he is without Reeves & Shanahan as mentors and Pat Bowlen as an owner. Arguably, Elway did more with less than any of those three, so maybe he's the yardstick that Brady's compared to.

Anyway, to finish the thought, I was disappointed that the Pats couldn't complete the undefeated season and even further disappointed that he couldn't beat New York again in 2012. Take away those two unbelievable passing plays from Manning and who knows, maybe Brady has five titles and is now going for his sixth. No QB has had his team this competitive, this consistently for this long. And he keeps doing it with players who are pretty anonymous until he starts tossing it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:56 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,885,545 times
Last year, Superbowl XLVIII. A blowout game that is decided from the first snap isn't that exciting or interesting, unless your team is the one doing the blowing out.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm not really a Patriots fan, but I'm a Tom Brady fan. I've been waiting for Brady to get that elusive fourth ring so that he can finally lay legitimate claim to being *the* greatest of all time. Brady, Montana, and Elway are the three quarterbacks I've seen since I started watching the game as a kid in the early 1980s. For the longest time, I always felt like there were no equals to Montana, but the more that Brady plays, I'm really starting to think he might be even slightly better. What Brady has accomplished in terms of his on-the-field success is probably unparalleled.

Sure, Belichick has had a lot to do with that, but all winning QBs need to play on winning teams with great coaches and great ownership. I don't think Montana's quite as successful without Bill Walsh, Carmen Policy, and the loaded talent that the 49ers had. I don't think Elway's quite the legend he is without Reeves & Shanahan as mentors and Pat Bowlen as an owner. Arguably, Elway did more with less than any of those three, so maybe he's the yardstick that Brady's compared to.

Anyway, to finish the thought, I was disappointed that the Pats couldn't complete the undefeated season and even further disappointed that he couldn't beat New York again in 2012. Take away those two unbelievable passing plays from Manning and who knows, maybe Brady has five titles and is now going for his sixth. No QB has had his team this competitive, this consistently for this long. And he keeps doing it with players who are pretty anonymous until he starts tossing it to them.
I think Brady is one of those players who wont be truly appreciated until he is gone. 25 years from now, fans who hate Brady now because he is constantly beating their team will be telling their kids about how great Tom Brady was back in the day... personally i think he needs 2 more rings to be the unquestionable GOAT because Montana never lost a SB and Brady has now lost 2.. IMO. Regardless, he is in the argument now and anyone who argues he is the greatest of all time NOW has a good argument.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:31 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think Brady is one of those players who wont be truly appreciated until he is gone. 25 years from now, fans who hate Brady now because he is constantly beating their team will be telling their kids about how great Tom Brady was back in the day... personally i think he needs 2 more rings to be the unquestionable GOAT because Montana never lost a SB and Brady has now lost 2.. IMO. Regardless, he is in the argument now and anyone who argues he is the greatest of all time NOW has a good argument.
See, I just don't think GOAT can be measured with championships alone. I think you need to win at least one and probably two to be in that discussion, but once you've proven you can win a championship or two, then you've proven you've got the leadership and winning component that a great must have.

John Elway didn't win four championships because he didn't play on defense and because he had good but not great weapons on offense. Those Broncos teams of the 1980s were no match for the elite teams of the NFC. Over time, free agency and changes in the game that started during the early to mid-1990s increased the parity and made it harder for dynastic teams to retain their talent. It would have been harder for the Steelers of the 1970s and the 49ers of the 1980s to win if they had the current system of free agency back then. Elway took five teams to the championship, which is something even Montana couldn't do.

Now, I'll always be biased in favor of Montana, but I'm just making a point. Tom Brady doesn't need to win four championships to be considered the best. Some people will count his titles and use that against him, but I think that kind of logic is flawed. It's a team game and the quarterback doesn't play on defense - the titles argument holds more weight in basketball than in football.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:32 AM

7,231 posts, read 8,239,270 times
Colts/Bears 2007. Only thing I can remember about that game was the rain and Devin Hester's kickoff TD return. It's also the game I can remember the commercials began a serious decline in quality.

Regarding the Steelers/Cardinals game, I remember the group I was watching with could sense that Pittsburgh was going to win on that final drive. They had plenty of time and they had several wins like that during the season. It was still a great game though.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Giants Vs pats the second time. So close dude, that one missed catch sealed the deal.

Its one thing to lose in a Superbowl, but another experience to lose towards the same team & QB twice .
That's why I feel you can't call Belechick a genius anymore because if he was then there would have been a scheme in place to defend Eli manning.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:36 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
He gets two more rings I would definitely put him on Joe's level

Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM

1,251 posts, read 825,169 times
As a Bills fan, I was disappointed by every Superbowl they have been in...

Old 01-11-2015, 01:25 PM

14,582 posts, read 22,426,770 times
I had to work during the last Superbowl but caught bits of it from CBS Sports scoreboard on my phone.

I had dvr'd the game to maybe watch later. My friends and family told me not to watch it. Just don't even watch it.

It's still on my dvr at the very bottom.

Should my team somehow make the trip again for the rematch, I'll rewatch it the Saturday before the next Superbowl for sort of a pregame prep-rally.

I have to apologize again on behalf of the Denver Broncos, the AFC in general and the state of Colorado ... to the rest of the world for such a putrid and horrid waste of your time with your friends and family, waste of an otherwise ending to a season of this fine American sport, and to all that is expected of this potentially awesome spotlight on American Culture.

Does that answer the OPs question?

Old 01-11-2015, 01:37 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
That's why I feel you can't call Belechick a genius anymore because if he was then there would have been a scheme in place to defend Eli manning.
The Patriots defense wasn't exactly swiss cheese in either of those two games though. The bigger reason for those losses were the Patriots offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or