Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:38 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Many hate the Pats. They call them cheaters but what they are is clever and they get the job done.
When they win it might not be pretty but they find a way and they sure do entertain.
Thanks to their hijinx yesterday I bit my nails down past the first knuckle and now all I have is nubs! What am I gonna do next week? start on my toes!!

GO PATS
All you want to do at this time of year is advance.. no awards for style, just advance. Fun game to watch yesterday.. i felt all the Flacco noise quieted a bit after yesterday's game. Flacco did play well but he made his share of bone head plays.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:57 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
This why most experts consider him the best coach in the NFL

Old 01-11-2015, 11:12 AM

The Pats should be complaining about the third an 8, where Gronk was mugged and no call.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
It's good that Harbaugh made it known. You can be sure the other teams will study about this. I can see this backfiring on the Pats though. If they do another different, but unusual play... and the officials weren't aware of the rule book, they might get a penalty thinking it was illegal when it in fact, it wasn't. In any event, always expect some trickery play by the Pats at least once in a game.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:25 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
It's good that Harbaugh made it known. You can be sure the other teams will study about this. I can see this backfiring on the Pats though. If they do another different, but unusual play... and the officials weren't aware of the rule book, they might get a penalty thinking it was illegal when it in fact, it wasn't. In any event, always expect some trickery play by the Pats at least once in a game.
I think coaches, when they're considering pulling out something particularly unusual that they think might confuse even the officials, will often pull the head official aside and inform him of it in some way. As such, the officials won't be surprised by it, and will either know the rule or make sure they have someone look into it if there's any doubt in their minds.

Example:
In 1982, Dolphins quarterback David Woodley caught a touchdown pass. This was the first of what became an occasional occurrence - a trick play in which the QB, while playing in the QB position (ie, I'm not talking about someone like Kordell Stewart, a sometimes-QB who also would line up at receiver from time to time), was the intended receiver on a pass play after either handing off to a running back or throwing a backward pass (lateral) to a wide receiver. Before the game, Dolphins coach Don Shula approached an official and said, "Remember - the quarterback is an eligible receiver". So when the Dolphins ran the play, the officials weren't surprised and knew the play was a legal play.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
belicheck would have made a great race team crew chief. if one is not constantly looking at the rule book, and designing creative ways to use it to their advantage, then they are not working hard enough, or thinking outside the box.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:17 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I think coaches, when they're considering pulling out something particularly unusual that they think might confuse even the officials, will often pull the head official aside and inform him of it in some way. As such, the officials won't be surprised by it, and will either know the rule or make sure they have someone look into it if there's any doubt in their minds.

Example:
In 1982, Dolphins quarterback David Woodley caught a touchdown pass. This was the first of what became an occasional occurrence - a trick play in which the QB, while playing in the QB position (ie, I'm not talking about someone like Kordell Stewart, a sometimes-QB who also would line up at receiver from time to time), was the intended receiver on a pass play after either handing off to a running back or throwing a backward pass (lateral) to a wide receiver. Before the game, Dolphins coach Don Shula approached an official and said, "Remember - the quarterback is an eligible receiver". So when the Dolphins ran the play, the officials weren't surprised and knew the play was a legal play.

but what if the official doesn't confirm with the coach either way if that was legal or not....he might say do what you want to do...you're taking a chance there. if they have someone look into the rule during the game then that would delay the game and the opposing coach will probably know something is up.

Last edited by JL; 01-11-2015 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 04:33 PM

328 posts, read 434,572 times
Get over it, Brady and Co just flat out made the Ravens, coaches and players look foolish once again which is a good thing.

Ravens should not be whining, they have played dirty for years and got away with it.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:59 PM

Harbaugh needs to sit back with a glass of wine, instead of whine, and relax. He was outcoached.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:03 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Yeah but you have to keep a close eye on the chess pieces when you play Belichick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football