U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 PM
 
6,469 posts, read 3,467,398 times
Reputation: 10266

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Possible but I disagree that it is " very likely" that either will pass Tom Brady. Bradys records speak for themselves and once Rogers/Lucks' careers are over I'm sure their numbers will be comparable. But at the end of the day we will have to look at Brady's 3 titles and 5 overall Superbowl appearances. Those achievements can only be compared to Montana (4-0), Bradshaw (4-0). even Elway (2-3).

Once Rogers and Luck get to their 3rd title, respectively, then we can talk. Until then, I think it is very premature to say they are "very likely" to pass Brady.

Fyi: I'm not a Patriots fan at all.
Since there really isn't a greatest ever, I don't think any QB now or in the future will ever "pass" Brady. Instead, they will just be on that top tier "in the argument" with the other greats such as Brady, Montana, etc.

I am a true Pats and Brady fan, and Brady is my favorite athlete of all time. But I know all too well there are too many variables to ever rate a QB as the best ever. Playing in different eras, on different teams with different coaches and players and schemes/playbooks.

If Eli or Ben get a 3rd ring will that put them in that category (although it won't tie Tom because I hope he gets his 4th this year)? I don't think so, because it's more than # of rings. Playing at an elite level over a long period of time is something Tom Brady has that only a few QB's do. One "best" Brady does have is the best QB/Coach tandem with Belichick. That is something I think Tom will never lose as a "best" category.

 
Old 01-12-2015, 01:46 PM
 
448 posts, read 422,509 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Since there really isn't a greatest ever, I don't think any QB now or in the future will ever "pass" Brady. Instead, they will just be on that top tier "in the argument" with the other greats such as Brady, Montana, etc.

I am a true Pats and Brady fan, and Brady is my favorite athlete of all time. But I know all too well there are too many variables to ever rate a QB as the best ever. Playing in different eras, on different teams with different coaches and players and schemes/playbooks.

If Eli or Ben get a 3rd ring will that put them in that category (although it won't tie Tom because I hope he gets his 4th this year)? I don't think so, because it's more than # of rings. Playing at an elite level over a long period of time is something Tom Brady has that only a few QB's do. One "best" Brady does have is the best QB/Coach tandem with Belichick. That is something I think Tom will never lose as a "best" category.
Yes. I agree that you can't say "best ever". I hate that term and instead rank players on a tier system myself. Brady is definitely a tier 1 qb along with Montana etc. I would not include Eli, even if he won a 3rd title. I think he would need to play consistently great, in addition to a 3rd title, for the rest of his career to even be mentioned along the lines of tier 1 qbs (though I think at this point he's caused too much damage to his legacy to be in there). Instead, another slsuperbowl may land him somewhere along the lines of Aikmen, Rothlesberger etc. in tier 2. Great qbs, but not the best of the best.

Going back to the original point, it's waaaay premature to say Rodgers and Luck will ever be tier 1 qbs. Even tier 2 qbs and very presumptuous to say that it is "very likely" that they'll ever be as great as Brady. In order for them to even belong in the conversation they'd have to be consistent throughout their entire careers + win no fewer than 3 superbowls.

I understand the dissenters may say that a qb alone can't win a title but at some point we have to draw a line if we want to distinguish who was better than who. At the end of the day, superbowl victories seperates the men from the boys.

*forgive any misspellings (written on my phone).
 
Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
Reputation: 12484
OK, so does Fox leaving affect Peyton's situation at all? Who cares about the number of super bowls and who decided it has to be 3???
 
Old 01-12-2015, 04:36 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,595 posts, read 22,448,133 times
Reputation: 13880
So what might happen is Adam Gase goes to the 49ers or he steps up to Denver head coach, heal Manning up and give Peyton one more shot.

If the Broncos lose Gase, can Elway get Kubiac?

Did Fox leave the Broncos because he knows Peyton is gone and it's a complete tear-down he doesn't want to be part of?

Where does Fox go and who replaces him?

Does Fox go to Chicago? The ATL?

Who will coach Denver if not Gase nor Kubiac? The Rat and/or son?
 
Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 PM
 
6,981 posts, read 4,465,367 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I've been saying it ever since the Broncos lost to the Rams. Peyton Manning literally has nothing left in his arm. He cannot throw passes more than 10 yards downfield reliably. He'll be 39 in March. Nothing lasts forever. It's time to go.
He had a bad leg, his arm isn't shot, well, at least there's no proof its an "arm thing".

Also, Do you know what happens when you bury all time greats? They keep coming back to get you.

When Teemu Selanne won the Stanley Cup in 2007, tv commentator Pierre McGuire had him all but retired, this is it Pierre said and many didn't argue with him at the time....you know, except one thing....Selanne played to the spring of 2014....which was SEVEN years later.

Never ever ever "throw dirt" on guys like this, no matter what the age.
 
Old 01-12-2015, 07:04 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,513,671 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
OK, so does Fox leaving affect Peyton's situation at all? Who cares about the number of super bowls and who decided it has to be 3???
Everyone knows defense wins SBs, including Manning's 2006 Colts. Not sure why Fox leaving is a big deal anyway. Manning got a new coach in 2012 and went 13-3.
 
Old 01-12-2015, 07:54 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
985 posts, read 623,020 times
Reputation: 419
I don't know. I could see Manning coming back. It's possible.
 
Old 01-12-2015, 08:46 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 17,088,173 times
Reputation: 7282
I hope Manning hangs it up, instead of limping out even worse than he looked Sunday. His time has passed.
 
Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 PM
 
8,778 posts, read 16,776,258 times
Reputation: 5243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I hope Manning hangs it up, instead of limping out even worse than he looked Sunday. His time has passed.
He really looked phenomenal early in the season though. I'm not sure that he's "done" just yet.
 
Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,541 posts, read 15,485,205 times
Reputation: 11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I hope Manning hangs it up, instead of limping out even worse than he looked Sunday. His time has passed.
It was kinda sad... Broncos down 11 under 3:00 to go and Manning still studying the pics while the Colts ate up the clock - as though there was any hope left. Almost like he couldn't let himself just sit there and absorb the loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top