Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:50 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Broncos thread, but it fits here too.

Insider Buzz: Peyton Manning Interested in Mike Shanahan Returning as Broncos HC | Bleacher Report

Old 01-13-2015, 01:54 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Since there really isn't a greatest ever, I don't think any QB now or in the future will ever "pass" Brady. Instead, they will just be on that top tier "in the argument" with the other greats such as Brady, Montana, etc.

I am a true Pats and Brady fan, and Brady is my favorite athlete of all time. But I know all too well there are too many variables to ever rate a QB as the best ever. Playing in different eras, on different teams with different coaches and players and schemes/playbooks.

If Eli or Ben get a 3rd ring will that put them in that category (although it won't tie Tom because I hope he gets his 4th this year)? I don't think so, because it's more than # of rings. Playing at an elite level over a long period of time is something Tom Brady has that only a few QB's do. One "best" Brady does have is the best QB/Coach tandem with Belichick. That is something I think Tom will never lose as a "best" category.
good argument.. but where do you think Montana/Walsh rate on the best qb/coach tandem? Or Bradshaw/Noles. I would have a hard time putting Brady/Belichick over those 2 at least without any argument.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:00 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It was kinda sad... Broncos down 11 under 3:00 to go and Manning still studying the pics while the Colts ate up the clock - as though there was any hope left. Almost like he couldn't let himself just sit there and absorb the loss.
I know your not really throwing stones at Manning but just making an observation, but I think its in his DNA... Personally, I wouldn't want any players on my team giving up being down by 11 with 3 min left. I have seen too many games decided in the final minutes despite being down by 2 scores. Sure the odds are long but give up? no way!

I can't count on one hand the number of times Roger Staubach came back from 2 scores to win the game in the final minutes.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I'd like to see Manning become their OC...the way his contract is probably no chance of that though. Personally, I never could stand the whole Mannings thing (all of them) and the way the whole sports media goes on and on about them, but he has had a great career, no doubt about that. I did feel a bit sorry for him but since he plays in our division, can't say I'd be sorry to see him retire. Like I said, I think he would make an outstanding OC and eventually a head coach. A lot of money on the table for him, so I think he will come back one more year. Don't think he wants it to end this way. But the Broncos seriously need to start thinking about his replacement, no matter what happens.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I know your not really throwing stones at Manning but just making an observation, but I think its in his DNA... Personally, I wouldn't want any players on my team giving up being down by 11 with 3 min left. I have seen too many games decided in the final minutes despite being down by 2 scores. Sure the odds are long but give up? no way!

I can't count on one hand the number of times Roger Staubach came back from 2 scores to win the game in the final minutes.
Yep, Roger's nickname was "Captain Comeback." As far as the quarterback who was noted for the two minute drill in the NFL's earlier years, hands down it would be one of my sports idols growing up as a kid, the guy who popularized flattops, Johnny Unitas. Staubach carried on that name after Unitas retired in 1973. And yes, the one sportscaster who's gotten a lot of mileage out of one of those comebacks Roger pulled on the Washington Redskins would be Brad Sham>>>>>>>"Roger throwing it to Tony Hill? Touchdown! Tony Hill!" I've seen that play many a time on different NFL Films videos.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I would of liked to see the broncos win but it is what it is. I am rooting for the colts to take it all but they have a big uphill climb.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:16 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
This made me laugh,

John Elway Casually Mentions To Peyton Manning How Great It Was Going Out On Top In

Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
good argument.. but where do you think Montana/Walsh rate on the best qb/coach tandem? Or Bradshaw/Noles. I would have a hard time putting Brady/Belichick over those 2 at least without any argument.
There's Marino/Shula, Staubach/Landry. All great combos on top of the ones you mentioned.

My case for Brady/Belichick being ever so slightly ahead is they have the most wins as a combo, and over a longer stretch of time have carried the team to elite status every year, always in the hunt. In the current era of parity, I think on top of the numbers the mere fact they've been together so long speaks volumes.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:42 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
My case for Brady/Belichick being ever so slightly ahead is they have the most wins as a combo, and over a longer stretch of time have carried the team to elite status every year, always in the hunt. In the current era of parity, I think on top of the numbers the mere fact they've been together so long speaks volumes.
Tomorrow will be the ninth AFC championship game in 15 years for Brady/Belichick. They have been to 5 super bowls and this could be their 6th. They have been the best combo ever in football. Others have had similar success, but not for the same duration as Brady/Belichick.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
*Sticky* taken off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football