U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:12 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,425,339 times

Advertisements

I believe peyton manning has 1 good season left in him & 2015 may be the year he wins it all but who knows.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 PM

6,447 posts, read 3,456,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I believe peyton manning has 1 good season left in him & 2015 may be the year he wins it all but who knows.
If he comes back, I just hope it's successful. I'd hate to see a failed comeback by one of the greatest. I'm not sold on what he has left in the tank. We're talking about one of the greatest minds, but you can't stop the body from falling apart when it decides its time.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 PM

20,903 posts, read 39,179,200 times
CNN reports that Peyton Manning agreed to a pay cut for 2015.

The restructured deal will pay him $15 million in 2015 and incentives could add $2M for winning the AFC Championship and $2M for winning the Super Bowl.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:22 AM

10,677 posts, read 11,085,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
CNN reports that Peyton Manning agreed to a pay cut for 2015.

The restructured deal will pay him $15 million in 2015 and incentives could add $2M for winning the AFC Championship and $2M for winning the Super Bowl.
Good news. They tagged DT, but it looks like JT will be gone (not a huge loss, he was basically an over-sized WR) and it's looking more and more like Pot Roast will be gone as well on the defensive side. Despite the fact this is still a fantastic team, I highly doubt there will be the hype surrounding it as the season gets closer, unlike the last couple seasons. And I consider that a good thing.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:33 PM

At least one sports writer is already on record that Manning won't be back on the field this year, or after this year; "In Beating Patriots, Osweiler Shuts Door on Peyton's Return, Maybe Forever"

Excerpt: "Brock Osweiler outdueled Tom Brady. Read that sentence again. It is not a sentence you expect to see....." This is Osweiler's moment, but it would be short-sighted not to fast-forward to when Peyton Manning is healthy again and talk about what the Broncos will do. This is a no-brainer. This decision isn't tough at all. You stick with Osweiler. And my guess is that is what the Broncos will do.

IMO Peyton will play again, maybe to set a few more records, such as most Pro Bowl selections (tied with others at 14), Completed passes (he's 180 behind Favre), Pass Attempts (he's 800 behind Favre), but Peyton owns most other records that count.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:27 PM

14,550 posts, read 22,415,763 times
Peyton Manning isn't after records. He just felt like he had more football in him. His first two years here he had back to back regular season records of 13-3, then last season, he went to an abismal 12-4.

This season, he derailed at 7-2, so it's obviously off to the Glue Factory for him.

I've become a serious PFM fan these ladt few years. But as warned by his doubters, it seems to have surfaced that despite his mastery in those phenomenal regular seasons, certain limitations have been unshakable for him. Can't play in the cold. Can't win in the playoffs. Can't get past #12.

But it seems that all non-PFM H8rz have jumped aboard the Bandwagon and wanted to see him go out with another ring or two.

Heck, the guys on the cable sports channels today were admitting that they'd still like to see him get his chance with this season.

But as we all know, perception is truth. Fans' opinions do matter. John Elway and the entire Bronco organization can repeat their mantra until they're blue in the face, Peyton will probably not have the ability to go to them and say, "Physically, I'm done, I cannot do it anymore, this is the end, thanks for the ride."

I honestly thought that, after the Green Bay game, he was good to go and his problems were behind him. Just a "timing" issue. But then KC Chiefs happened.

I hope he still somehow manages to go out on his own terms.

He has a really tough, life-changing decision to make, with a few beady eyes staring.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:29 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,542,021 times
Default I hope he is done

I'm a big fan of Manning, but the end is tough to swallow. I expect him to reassess himself, and privately come to the conclusion (as Kobe did) that it is time to call it quits. Why risk injury by staying too long, when your body and your health scream that retirement needs to happen now?

He has had a great career, the type of career most QBs can only dream of. This great career is not nearly as important as his health though.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:42 AM

1,662 posts, read 1,652,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I'm a big fan of Manning, but the end is tough to swallow. I expect him to reassess himself, and privately come to the conclusion (as Kobe did) that it is time to call it quits. Why risk injury by staying too long, when your body and your health scream that retirement needs to happen now?

He has had a great career, the type of career most QBs can only dream of. This great career is not nearly as important as his health though.
Agreed. He's had an amazing career as a player. I think it's time for him to start putting his health first though. When you've achieved elite levels of athleticism it can be difficult to accept the limitations that time and age put on you, but it's a reality that you cant change.

He can still go on to become a great commentator or coach if he chooses to. He still has so much to offer to the sport.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
... I think it's time for him to start putting his health first though. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I'm a big fan of Manning, but the end is tough to swallow. ... Why risk injury by staying too long, when your body and your health scream that retirement needs to happen now?... This great career is not nearly as important as his health though.
When we heard that his fingertips were numb that really scared me about his health .... my mind went back to his broken neck and I conjured up visions of some sort of progressive nerve damage that will wreak further havoc on his body.

Another sports writer today has picked up the "end is near" theme.
Excerpt: "It started when Peyton Manning put the glove on his throwing hand, a subtle sign of creeping weakness in his game, shielding nerve-damaged numbness in his fingertips. Maybe we should have known when the passes kept wobbling and the velocity dropped out or when we suddenly didn't recognize the iconic star we've known since his can't-miss days at the University of Tennessee.... Peyton Manning probably hung on too long....This is the cruel final rung in a great career, a descent expedited by neck surgeries, turnovers and general ineffectiveness...Whatever the cruel end, it's near with Manning, hoping it doesn't get to the stage of having to avert our eyes,...."

The article goes on to explain the lackluster career endings of many NFL greats, good reading, might be worthy of its own thread....

Old 12-02-2015, 05:18 PM

7,596 posts, read 9,450,003 times
Shades of Johnny Unitas ( and Willie Mays) all over again...

He needs to stop playing, now. He has chronic injuries, he has no arm strength, and no mobility. He's kidding himself if he decides to "take his ball and go elsewhere". Enough is enough. Time to consider coaching, which he'd be well suited for. He has nothing left to prove to anyone as a player..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or