Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 10:00 AM

8,608 posts, read 10,137,811 times

Advertisements

OK, so I've been watching the show this morning and there was a segment that included the struggles of both veterans and former players. As a veteran myself as well as an NFL fan, am I the only one who does not see any correlation between veterans returning to normal life after serving and former NFL players returning to normal life after playing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 10:15 AM

812 posts, read 736,259 times
It's a pretty dumb comparison. If an NFL player is smart with their money, even somebody that only plays a few years should have enough to retire on when they stop playing. They play a game for a living, a violent game yes, but one in which it is still extremely rare for players to die while doing their job.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:04 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
As a Marine Officer I think the comparison is a bit over the top. Where I am willing to make comparisons are the idea of battle, strategy, operations, and tactics. Football players use combat as an analogy and we military types use football cliches when referring to our engagements with the enemy. But the PTSD issue...it's a bit over the top. Both the military and professional sports are great places. But one is paid significantly more and hopefully people will be smart with their money. They don't always make the best decisions but that's on them.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:31 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
It's absurd, but they know their audience demographic and they know crap like that scored 10/10 with the viewers.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:43 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
FOX NFL Sunday - Pearl Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
OK, so I've been watching the show this morning and there was a segment that included the struggles of both veterans and former players. As a veteran myself as well as an NFL fan, am I the only one who does not see any correlation between veterans returning to normal life after serving and former NFL players returning to normal life after playing?
With the exception of that particular segment, I'm all in regarding the fact that FOX NFL SUNDAY chose to commemorate this Day of Infamy, which is officially tomorrow (December 7/Monday). They're providing a great service and an excellent program which includes many actual survivors in their presentation.

As a vet myself, it's refreshing to see such coverage by any American network, or anyone who would actually take the time to pay respect to our military at such an important time in our history, and at a time when most people seem to have forgotten about Pearl Harbor!

Thank you, NFL FOX.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:37 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I'm 68, I haven't forgotten and where would we be without that generation? Several men in my neighborhood have gone on an honor flight, and it is so wonderful to talk to them when they get back.

I've called several times to ask if they need more people to go along (you pay your own way) because each vet needs a person to assist and the waiting list to help is huge. It warms my heart to know people step up, they have more than enough help, but I'm on the list just in case.

When I went on a bus trip to DC with the senior center, an honor flight was there at the memorial, we all lined up and shook hands and talked to all of them, a highlight of the trip.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
An awesome video clip from the Packers website, where some Lombardi era players went along with an honor flight:

Packers alumni partake in special Honor Flight

Old 12-06-2015, 07:51 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
An awesome video clip from the Packers website, where some Lombardi era players went along with an honor flight:

Packers alumni partake in special Honor Flight
Excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football