U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2015, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,776 posts, read 2,379,680 times
Reputation: 2626

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
And last year that difference was only 3 points and the year before, Wilson's rookie year, only 8 points. Wilson has never been a slouch throwing the ball. Add in his rushing ability and it puts him in the first tier.
I wouldn't consider Wilson in the first tier. People give him too much credit. Like Vegas Cabbie pointed out, Wilson needs a great rushing team with a great defense like he had at UW-Madison & in Seattle. Looking individually at Wilson, he hasn't made the All Pro teams & he didn't make the Pro Bowl. These are individual honors obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
Reputation: 2353
Only two QBs make the all-pro team. So does the first tier of QBs consist of just two QBs?

And the pro bowl is not something I lose sleep over.

I'm not really talking tiers though anyways, that was a bad word for me to use. I'll just say he is top four. If that puts him in Tier #4 that is fine assuming 1 QB tiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,727 posts, read 11,567,118 times
Reputation: 12484
Pro Bowl considering it is fan oriented, you can vote umpteen times a day for your favorite player, doesn't mean a darn thing. It is strictly a popularity contest. The tier business I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Inland Empire, Calif
2,887 posts, read 4,825,762 times
Reputation: 2791
Russ is head and shoulders above Luck and the others. Passing for lots of yards means nothing. Luck throws INT's way too much.. Some of you don't know how to read stats that have meaning...
[SIZE=2]Russell Wilson[/SIZE] of the highest post season career passer rating in NFL history.
and owner of the best season ever in college.
and the owner of tons of records first year, second, third year in the league.
Wilson has only been in the NFL for three seasons, but he's already compiled quite the playoff resume, including a 4-1 record, a 63.1 percent completion rate, 1,096 yards, six touchdown passes, one pick and a rating of 102.0. Seattle's run-first system doesn't require him to do as much as other quarterbacks, and his arm strength is above average, but Wilson can make things happen on the ground -- and he's a proven winner, with a history of success against some of the game's best. Consider that he's 2-0 against Manning, Rodgers and Drew Brees, respectively, and 1-0 against Brady. And, of course, he also won Super Bowl XLVIII, which gives him an edge over Andrew Luck. That kind of experience is invaluable; once you've successfully navigated the distractions that come with participating in the biggest sporting event in the world, the stresses of a divisional playoff game can seem like nothing.
Rating the top QB's in history...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM
 
16 posts, read 10,173 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Russ is head and shoulders above Luck and the others. Passing for lots of yards means nothing. Luck throws INT's way too much.. Some of you don't know how to read stats that have meaning...
[SIZE=2]Russell Wilson[/SIZE] of the highest post season career passer rating in NFL history.
and owner of the best season ever in college.
and the owner of tons of records first year, second, third year in the league.
Wilson has only been in the NFL for three seasons, but he's already compiled quite the playoff resume, including a 4-1 record, a 63.1 percent completion rate, 1,096 yards, six touchdown passes, one pick and a rating of 102.0. Seattle's run-first system doesn't require him to do as much as other quarterbacks, and his arm strength is above average, but Wilson can make things happen on the ground -- and he's a proven winner, with a history of success against some of the game's best. Consider that he's 2-0 against Manning, Rodgers and Drew Brees, respectively, and 1-0 against Brady. And, of course, he also won Super Bowl XLVIII, which gives him an edge over Andrew Luck. That kind of experience is invaluable; once you've successfully navigated the distractions that come with participating in the biggest sporting event in the world, the stresses of a divisional playoff game can seem like nothing.
Rating the top QB's in history...
Mark Sanchez is on that list, your argument is shot!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Inland Empire, Calif
2,887 posts, read 4,825,762 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Wand View Post
Mark Sanchez is on that list, your argument is shot!!!!
Read the facts, they are real no matter what you think about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,283,173 times
Reputation: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Russ is head and shoulders above Luck and the others. Passing for lots of yards means nothing. Luck throws INT's way too much.. Some of you don't know how to read stats that have meaning...
[SIZE=2]Russell Wilson[/SIZE] of the highest post season career passer rating in NFL history.
and owner of the best season ever in college.
and the owner of tons of records first year, second, third year in the league.
Wilson has only been in the NFL for three seasons, but he's already compiled quite the playoff resume, including a 4-1 record, a 63.1 percent completion rate, 1,096 yards, six touchdown passes, one pick and a rating of 102.0. Seattle's run-first system doesn't require him to do as much as other quarterbacks, and his arm strength is above average, but Wilson can make things happen on the ground -- and he's a proven winner, with a history of success against some of the game's best. Consider that he's 2-0 against Manning, Rodgers and Drew Brees, respectively, and 1-0 against Brady And, of course, he also won Super Bowl XLVIII, which gives him an edge over Andrew Luck. That kind of experience is invaluable; once you've successfully navigated the distractions that come with participating in the biggest sporting event in the world, the stresses of a divisional playoff game can seem like nothing.
Rating the top QB's in history...
Probably the weakest argument ever as to who is a great QB... Like the other dude said, if Sanchez is up there, you just lost all credibility.

Besides... If you really want to debate individual position rankings, you should probably stop using team statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Inland Empire, Calif
2,887 posts, read 4,825,762 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Probably the weakest argument ever as to who is a great QB... Like the other dude said, if Sanchez is up there, you just lost all credibility.

Besides... If you really want to debate individual position rankings, you should probably stop using team statistics.
Don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Here or There
3,964 posts, read 2,517,644 times
Reputation: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Wand View Post
I am not a Patriot fan, but i do admire Brady. I have never seen a QB do so much with so little....The detractor argument is that Brady played with these incredible defenses when they won those 3 SB's....they were solid defenses but they were no where near the 1985 Bears, 2000's Ravens or 2013-2014 Seattle defenses....so lets not get crazy and think he played with the NE version of the "Steel Curtain" when he won 3 SB's and been to a total of 5
How much of Brady's credit should go to Belichek? Brady has played his entire career under, arguably, the best coach of the past 20 years or so. A great example of that is what "the Hoodie" did to the Ravens this weekend. He had the Ravens discombobulated after the change in formation--so much so, that Baltimore is still mad.

None of those Patriot teams have been mediocre--what has been lousy the whole era is the AFC East. No, not steel curtain defenses, but pretty good defenses.

Last edited by IXCell; 01-13-2015 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Here or There
3,964 posts, read 2,517,644 times
Reputation: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Probably the weakest argument ever as to who is a great QB... Like the other dude said, if Sanchez is up there, you just lost all credibility.

Besides... If you really want to debate individual position rankings, you should probably stop using team statistics.
I can agree with that, but I want to stop hearing broadcasters say, "Peyton Manning is 23-1 at home."

That is not an individual stat, that is a team stat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top