U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:43 PM

6,449 posts, read 3,459,939 times

Advertisements

I just have to watch the game of football to know who the greats are. Stats are great coffee room discussion. But when you look back at a QB's body of work, throw all the crap away and just be an objective fan.

Montana is great, even though he had Jerry Rice, one of the greatest, catching his balls.

Terry Bradshaw was really good winning a lot including Superbowls, but with that defense and Franco Harris running it was so much a team effort.

Tom Brady is great. 9 AFC Championship appearance, 5 Superbowl appearances. Longevity playing at the elite level with a host of characters around him.

Peyton Manning is great. Watch him command the field - he runs the offense like no other. And I'm talking about his body of work, not just this year.

Eli Manning is just ehh, but he and the team rose to the ocassion twice.

Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson - not enough body of work to decide.

Dan Marino - awesome stats, had a decent team around him - no Superbowls. Still a marvel to watch on the field.

We can all go around in circles giving every conceivable number and stat to judge. But any fan only needs to watch the player and it's obvious. And the longer a player excels, the greater they are. One awesome year of stats etc doesn't make a player great. A career of excellence does. In this era, Brady and Manning have stood far above the rest. In the next era, maybe Rodgers, and Luck to follow, bit only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Russell Wilson:
C% (63.4/63.8 )
TD% (5.8*/5.9)
INT% (2.1/0.7* )
AYA (8.2*/9.9* )
ANYA (6.93/8.39* )

Russell Wilson gets better in every single category. His INT% is absurdly low. His AYA and ANYA in the playoffs blow away all the other "elite" QB's come playoff time. In fact, Wilson leads this group in 5 of the 10 possible stats regular and post season. 3 of 5 playoff stats belong to Wilson.
Keep in mind Wilson's sample size is absurdly small compared to all the other QBs on the list. He has essentially played the same number of playoff games as Mark Sanchez who also has pretty good numbers in the post season.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:42 PM

32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times
the trouble with making lists like this is that people tend to forget some of the pioneers of the game. guys like;

Y.A. tittle
barts starr
earl morrel
joe namath
bobby lane
warren moon
len dawson
norm van brocklin
ken anderson
sonny jurgensen
sid luckman
sammy baugh
otto graham
jim plunkett
darryl lamonica
joe kapp
george blanda

Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the trouble with making lists like this is that people tend to forget some of the pioneers of the game. guys like;

Y.A. tittle
barts starr
earl morrel
joe namath
bobby lane
warren moon
len dawson
norm van brocklin
ken anderson
sonny jurgensen
sid luckman
sammy baugh
otto graham
jim plunkett
darryl lamonica
joe kapp
george blanda
Has beens.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
The trouble with stats is, you look at them long enough, they can be skewed to get almost any viewpoint you want.
AMEN. Stats are just that.. numbers. The eyeball test always outweighs stats. Take this past weekends games,... I watched all of them and don't know the final QB stats off the top of my head but the best QB of the weekend from my POV was Aaron Rodgers, a one legged Aaron Rodgers at that. All the winning QBs played great but only Rodgers single-handedly willed his team to a win. The Others simply played a role, a major role but still a role. JMO.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:37 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Has beens.
As soon as they retire, they are has beens? To belittle these greats is the same as belittling the current greats because they all retire.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:45 AM

16,527 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Quote:
Has beens.

Umm, WHAT?

Old 01-13-2015, 07:49 AM

Sorry guys it was a joke. I couldn't resist.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:51 AM

Nayabone: When you have time please add Sanchez to your list and figure out the numbers. And then light it on fire.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:53 AM

16,527 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Quote:
Sorry guys it was a joke. I couldn't resist.
Heh, ok! My morning Java was boiling in front of my eyes on that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or