U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:40 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
If not for Terrell Davis, Elway might be closer to 80...
Elway jumped 50 spots in everyone's eyes after he got a HOF caliber RB.. funny how that works..

Don't get me wrong, I loved watching Elway play. He is easily top 3 of the greatest QBs i ever saw but in the media's eyes, he was nothing but hype until he won those 2 SBs, now he is one of the greatest of all times..
I understand that this is how the so-called "experts" view greatness at the QB position, but that's not how I view it. To me, "greatness" is truly defined by how a quarterback leads his offense and keeps his offense playing within the game -- and nothing more than that. People might look at Jim Kelly and say he lost the big one 4 times, while completely ignoring the fact that even the great Joe Montana or Tom Brady couldn't get his team to the big one four consecutive years. And the Bills were competitive in the first one against a team that had dethroned a two-time defending super bow champ. Maybe the difference between the Buffalo Bills and the New England Patriots comes down to Adam Vinatieri and Scott Norwood.

Elway got his team to the Super Bowl five times - only one other guy has done that and he's still playing with a chance to get an unprecedented number 6 on Sunday. But it's not just the number of times he got there; it's the teams he managed to somehow push toward successful outcomes. It's also seeing *how* he pulled off some of those victories. Go on YouTube and watch "The Drive". It's a thing of beauty.

Elway was exceptional because he always played within the game. When he didn't have TD running the ball and needed to carry the team on his arm, he did. But when he finally had the running game to support him, he used that as a weapon to give his team an almost unstoppable balance. Not just Davis, but he also used his full complement of physical receivers like Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe, and Eddie McCaffrey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Elway was way behind the great QBs when it comes to things like reading a defense, touch, accuracy, and pocket presence. He just had a cannon
Nope. He is easily one of the top five QBs since 1980.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Yes, good post. Marino had better natural quarterback skills than Montana and Brady. Hell, give Marino the team/support Montana had (on defense and offense) and there is no telling how many rings he'd have. And I am from California (where Brady is from and Montana played professionally). Marino was an awesome quarterback...I'd take him all day over those other two.
Marino was an awesome QB -- definitely one of the best -- but I would not necessarily take him over those two. As great as Marino was, the one thing that would bother me about him - and maybe the difference between him losing and winning big games - was his tendency to chide players in the middle of games. I think his energy sometimes brought players down or made them even more tense than they should have been. Montana and Brady get testy too but they were/are good at keeping teams relaxed in pressure-packed moments. If you want your teammates to perform at their best in the biggest moments, you've got to keep them focused on what they're doing not fearing another verbal tongue-lashing.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM

32,496 posts, read 26,373,528 times
marino, brady, p manning, montana are all excellent modern QBs, but on that tends to get overlooked is aikman. i mean he only took the cowboys to three super bowl wins in four seasons, and brought them out of two 1-15 season doldrums to go to those 3 super bowls i four seasons.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:07 AM

9,623 posts, read 4,612,445 times
Marino was a great QB, but he seemed at times to forget that he had a running back. Of course, that could have been by Shula's design. IDK.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 3,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Marino was a great QB, but he seemed at times to forget that he had a running back. Of course, that could have been by Shula's design. IDK.
he did? who?

Old 01-20-2015, 07:59 AM

5,630 posts, read 4,227,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I truly think that it was by design. Marino had only 1 season with a 1,000 yard back in his career and that was Karim Abdul Jabbar in 1996. His career consisted of 600-700 yard backs that no one would remember.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:43 AM

16,531 posts, read 20,989,157 times
Quote:
I truly think that it was by design. Marino had only 1 season with a 1,000 yard back in his career and that was Karim Abdul Jabbar in 1996. His career consisted of 600-700 yard backs that no one would remember.
Agreed!

From 1984 to 1987 Marino basically had running back by committee--Tony Nathan, Joe Carter, and Tony Bennet

In 1992 it was Mark Higgs and Bobby Humphrey.

Jabbar came close to another 1000 yard season in 1997 but shortly afterwards was out of the league.

NFL running backs, sure but no one that was a pro bowler.

You need a supporting cast. Troy Aikman had Emmitt Smith. The Redskins had John Redskins. In Elway's last few seasons he had Terrel Davis.

Marino didn't have that luxury.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 AM

5,630 posts, read 4,227,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Agreed!

From 1984 to 1987 Marino basically had running back by committee--Tony Nathan, Joe Carter, and Tony Bennet

In 1992 it was Mark Higgs and Bobby Humphrey.

Jabbar came close to another 1000 yard season in 1997 but shortly afterwards was out of the league.

NFL running backs, sure but no one that was a pro bowler.

You need a supporting cast. Troy Aikman had Emmitt Smith. The Redskins had John Redskins. In Elway's last few seasons he had Terrel Davis.

Marino didn't have that luxury.
I think Riggo would approve!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 AM

16,531 posts, read 20,989,157 times
Quote:
I think Riggo would approve!
UMMMM, John Riggins me thinks!

Damn! Another senior moment!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or