U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:22 AM

3,508 posts, read 3,197,951 times

Advertisements

Montana
Elway
Marino
Favre
P. Manning
Brady

The rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:22 PM

9,070 posts, read 15,024,002 times
I know people who are old enough to remember him tell me they feel Otto Graham may have been the best.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:09 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,219,691 times
I think Otto is in the conversation.. especially if you consider championships important. He won 7! Of course the first 4 came while the Browns played in the AAFC but to prove they were no fluke they won the NFL championship their first year in the league and then 2 more before Otto retired. Yea, Otto is in the conversation..

Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 PM

16,521 posts, read 20,961,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
We've had this discussion before but I admit it's been a while.

Three years ago the NFL Channel had covered this quite extensively with NFL Films, called the The Greatest 100 players in NFL History. I won't list all the players, just the quarterbacks.

100. Joe Namath
91. Fran Tarkenton
90. Kurt Warner
83. Norm Van Brocklin
81. Steve Young
80. Troy Aikman
51. Bart Starr
50. Terry Bradshaw
46. Roger Staubach
33. Sid Luckman
25. Dan Marino
23. John Elway
21. Tom Brady
20. Brett Favre
16. Otto Graham
14. Sammy Baugh
-8. Peyton Manning
-6. Johnny Unitas
-4. Joe Montana

YES. Otto Graham is in the discussion.

#16 on the list of all time great players according to NFL Films.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM

32,437 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Quote:
YES. Otto Graham is in the discussion.

#16 on the list of all time great players according to NFL Films.
i notice that Y.A. tittle is not on that list, yet the award for best QB is named after him. go figure.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i notice that Y.A. tittle is not on that list, yet the award for best QB is named after him. go figure.
There certainly are a few people out there who should be on that list, Y.A. Tittle is one of my favorite old school guys. When Charlie Conerly retired, Tittle seemed like a perfect fit to get the NY Giants over the hump, and when the Packers didn't win their conference I thought 1963 would be their year. The one thing that always eluded him was an NFL Championship. And that's where the term "supporting cast" comes in.

There are NFL pictures out there that are iconic. The picture of Y.A. Tittle sitting on the field with his helmet off with blood trickling down his face is one of those pictures that I always remember. The guy was tough as nails.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 PM

32,437 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Quote:
There certainly are a few people out there who should be on that list, Y.A. Tittle is one of my favorite old school guys. When Charlie Conerly retired, Tittle seemed like a perfect fit to get the NY Giants over the hump, and when the Packers didn't win their conference I thought 1963 would be their year. The one thing that always eluded him was an NFL Championship. And that's where the term "supporting cast" comes in.

There are NFL pictures out there that are iconic. The picture of Y.A. Tittle sitting on the field with his helmet off with blood trickling down his face is one of those pictures that I always remember. The guy was tough as nails.
i fully agree that the best statistical QBs have a great supporting cast. aikman, for instance, had emmit smith, michael irvin, and alvin harper.

however guys like tittle and graham, and other old time QBs, did well on their own.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i fully agree that the best statistical QBs have a great supporting cast. aikman, for instance, had emmit smith, michael irvin, and alvin harper.

however guys like tittle and graham, and other old time QBs, did well on their own.
The one thing Tittle DID need was for the 49ers to have a little more talent in the secondary. On offense,what qb wouldn't want to have Hugh McIlhenny,Joe Perry,and John Henry Johnson for three seasons? They called those four players the "Million Dolllar Backfield."

And actually when it comes to a subject called "no justice",there's one 49er that absolutely should be on that list. After the NFL press voted the "Top 50 Players in NFL History" in NFL's 50 year anniversary (1919-1969), his name came up as the league's best defensive lineman in that era. He was a guy who wasn't even born in this country (born in Lucca,Italy),served for his country in WW-II in the Pacific. He was a wrestler in the off season and his nickname was "The Lion." He was a ten time pro bowler and a nine time all-pro. The sad thing is I'll bet his name has never been mentioned on this forum until now.

Leo Nomellini.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:34 AM

1,069 posts, read 555,092 times
For the SB era

Montana
Brady
Staubach
Bradshaw
P Manning
Favre
Elway
Marino
Aikman
Starr

Old 01-22-2015, 02:20 PM

533 posts, read 470,995 times
My top 10 of the Super Bowl Era:

1. Joe Montana
2. Tom Brady
3. John Elway
4. Roger Staubach
5. Johnny Unitas
6. Peyton Manning
7. Dan Marino
8. Terry Bradshaw
9. Bart Starr
10. Brett Favre

Marino is always so hard to rank, the guy was incredibile, but he was also a bit selfish, wanting to throw the football every single play...and I think if he has not been like that, he would have a ring or two and be in the top 5 at least. Favre almost seems out of place on here, due to his high INT rate and his knack for throwing games away at the end....but I can't argue with the numbers or the MVPs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or