U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:15 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Do people think it's a coincidence that Belichick and the Patriots have won 12 division titles and been to 9 AFC championships, winning 5 so far? A "good coach" gets the most from his players and develops game plans to win.
The coincidence is the QB. Because is it just coincidence that the one year they did not win the division Brady missed the entire year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:28 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,667,962 times
Quote:
He took a team that was moving in the right direction when he took over, and made it a 4-12 disaster.

What are you talking about? When Rex took over, the following 2 years he took a team to 2 AFC Championships with a Rookie QB.

He was 4-12 this year because he had Geno Smith and Mike Vick as his starting QB's. His secondary would've had trouble finding playing time on my son's Pop Warner team....John Idzik (who is now fired), did not spend money and deliberately held back 20MM in 2014. Idzik also had a TERRIBLE draft picking players who mostly did not pan out, or were hurt (ie Dee Milliner)

Joe Namath: Why is John Idzik saving his money? - New York Jets Blog - ESPN New York

Your post shows that you haven't followed Rex's past 6 years that close.

Buffalo is lucky to have him...

Old 01-15-2015, 07:30 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,667,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
John Fox? No thanks.

I am interested to see how we fair against the AFC South and NFC East next years vs. how we faired against the AFC West (0-4 including a loss to the Raiders, thanks for getting the team ready for that one Marrone) and NFC North (4-0) this year. I am hoping we can go 3-1 vs the AFC South and 2-2 vs. the NFC East. Will give us a one game improvement overall and a three game improvement in the conference tie breakers.

I know that Peter King had made comments last year that he thought that Rex getting the Jets to an 8-8 record last season may have been one of the best coaching jobs ever.
I don't know how anyone thinks John Fox as a head coach is good.....he had 1 good year in Carolina and floundered for many many more. To me, he underperformed in Denver with the talent they had....

Thought he was very good way back in the day when he was on the NY Giants staff, but that's about it...

Old 01-15-2015, 07:34 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,878,189 times
Quote:
The coincidence is the QB. Because is it just coincidence that the one year they did not win the division Brady missed the entire year?
They finished 11-5 in 2008 with Matt Cassel after Brady was hurt in week 1. Miami won the division, and it was more a function of strange math that year, since 11-5 teams normally make the playoffs.

How many teams go 11-5 when their franchise QB goes down in week 1? That year completely debunks the BS notion that Belichick can't win without Brady and has only won because of Brady.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
They finished 11-5 in 2008 with Matt Cassel after Brady was hurt in week 1. Miami won the division, and it was more a function of strange math that year, since 11-5 teams normally make the playoffs.

How many teams go 11-5 when their franchise QB goes down in week 1? That year completely debunks the BS notion that Belichick can't win without Brady and has only won because of Brady.
It was a five game difference from the year prior (16-0). Pretty significant. Imagine a team going from 10-6 one year to 5-11 the next.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 AM

In fact the 2008 Pats were the first 11-win team since the expansion to a 12-team playoff in 1990 to not make the playoffs, as well as only the second team (after the 1985 Denver Broncos) since the NFL expanded to a 16-game regular season in 1978.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
It was a five game difference from the year prior (16-0). Pretty significant. Imagine a team going from 10-6 one year to 5-11 the next.
OK fine. So now you're expecting perfection every year, and rather than just admit that Belichick got a second string QB to give him 11 wins, you're point is "but they weren't perfect again." They were coming off a 16-0 season in 2007. Even with Brady, I don't think anyone expected that again.

Getting back to Rex. Guy is a train wreck. Buffalo will regret the signing. If Bills fans are happy, then I'm happy for you.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 AM

9,070 posts, read 15,026,816 times
Ryan is a good players coach... which may be just what the Bills veteran roster needs after Marrone alienated the players (before he walked out).

Honestly, the more I hear about what Marrone was really up to, the more I am glad he is gone.

Does it bother me Ryan comes from a defensive background when the Bills need to rebuild their offense? No. I think it gets overplayed by fans and media which side of the ball a particular coach came from. An great defensive mind has to have some idea how offenses work to stop them.

What will make the difference this year for the Bills this year will be what they do at QB. The defense is good, and should continue to be so. Finding a competent, veteran QB is going to determine how many games they win, whether they make the playoffs, etc.

No offense to rookies or QB's of the future either, but the Bills defense is a mostly veteran defense which is very good right now. It would be beneficial to get a guy in who can effectively run an offense now.

(But then again, I would bring in every guy with an arm and try them all out too, they need to be very aggressive trying to significantly improve this position).

Old 01-15-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
OK fine. So now you're expecting perfection every year, and rather than just admit that Belichick got a second string QB to give him 11 wins, you're point is "but they weren't perfect again." They were coming off a 16-0 season in 2007. Even with Brady, I don't think anyone expected that again.

Getting back to Rex. Guy is a train wreck. Buffalo will regret the signing. If Bills fans are happy, then I'm happy for you.
Not that they were not perfect. But Brady likely gets them to 14-2 or 13-3 at the very least. I am not going to ever give Belicheck more credit then Brady. Ever. No coach deserves more credit then a HOF QB.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:15 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
All the Ryans are basically cartoon characters. They're arrogant; they promise the moon and rarely, if ever, deliver.

Their father, Buddy, was the worst. When he was hired as HC at Arizona Cardinals, the first thing he proclaimed at the podium was, "You've got a winner in town!" He never delivered, and was fired after 8-8 and 4-12 seasons (1994-1995)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or